General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-08-11 8:41 AM

Atlanta, GA
Subject: Hello
Ok so we decided to do this, bought a couple of books and are two and a half week into training. We are planning on doing our first triathlon June 2003, maybe in Europe. We started running, which we plan on doing for two more months, then we'll join a gym with a pool and incorporate swimming THEN we'll buy bikes. We are extremely excited and hope this forum will answer some of our questions.

Edited by GAbee 2003-08-11 8:57 AM

2003-08-11 8:56 AM
in reply to: #419

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: hey!

sound like u both have a great plan with slowly incorporating the different events into your training while developing a running base at the beginning. 

keep in touch!

2003-08-11 10:51 AM

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Hello
great to have you aboard and if we can answer any questions, just let us know.
Still, Tri'n
Michael

2003-08-12 7:01 AM
in reply to: #424

Atlanta, GA
Ok, got a couple:

1.how to get rid of side stich?
2.how often to change running shoes?
3.how much time should I increase running per week?
4.should I buy any equipment for swim part training (paddles, fins, etc.)?
5.any ideas on how to find a pool membership that is cheap?
6.should I try to get a used tri bike or a used road bike?
7.when racing with significant other is it smart to keep same pace or go seperate ways and try to catch/meet up later?
8.Should I stop increasing time/length on running/biking/swimming at a certain point in training?

more to come...

Edited by GAbee 2003-08-12 7:03 AM
2003-08-12 8:57 AM
in reply to: #426

User image

Champion
Gold member

1.how to get rid of side stich?  slow down, breath deeply till gone (this is what helps me)
2.how often to change running shoes?  i have heard 1-2 times per year.  look at your tread.  when almost no tread in any spot then it's time.
3.how much time should I increase running per week?  never go up in any event more than 10% per week.  take a 30-50% decrease in training for a week every month.
4.should I buy any equipment for swim part training (paddles, fins, etc.)?  depends on the length of your first tri and how well u can swim now.  minimum just get the mechanics right and build endurance with decent form.  getting instruction will be your biggest help.  fins/paddles i feel will benefit u most after your swimming mechanics r good and u have about maxed out your speed.
5.any ideas on how to find a pool membership that is cheap?  Y's, health clubs, universities (universites have nice, big pools)
6.should I try to get a used tri bike or a used road bike?  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/The%20Steves/the%20steves.htm and http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/biking.htm
7.when racing with significant other is it smart to keep same pace or go seperate ways and try to catch/meet up later?
8.Should I stop increasing time/length on running/biking/swimming at a certain point in training?  like #3, make sure u can do the distance come tri time.

2003-08-12 9:55 AM

User image

Central Louisiana
Ron covered everything just as I would except for number 7, so I'll take a stab at #7!

If your goal is to finish the race together, then stick together. If your goal is to leave nothing on the course, chances are you will have to meet up later. Decide before the race and there want be any feelings of guilt if you leave your buddy or they leave you. Most of all have fun.

Still Tri’n
Michael

Edited by Michael 2003-08-12 9:58 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello Rss Feed