General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain above ankle bone Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-24 1:51 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Subject: Pain above ankle bone
Last week I did a 5 mile run, and felt fine after. The next morning, on the inside of my ankle just above the bony knob felt like I did something to it-tender to the touch from the knobby bone up about 3-4 inches.

It's definitly not painful enough to warrent a Dr. visit(just yet), I am curious if anyone knows what tendon lies under this area. I am on the tail end(hopefully) of a PF flare up in my other foot and am also wondering if this could be because I have been favoring the non-PF foot??

Any ideas?

2008-08-25 9:40 AM
in reply to: #1624081

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
Subject: RE: Pain above ankle bone

LittleCat - 2008-08-24 1:51 PM Last week I did a 5 mile run, and felt fine after. The next morning, on the inside of my ankle just above the bony knob felt like I did something to it-tender to the touch from the knobby bone up about 3-4 inches. It's definitly not painful enough to warrent a Dr. visit(just yet), I am curious if anyone knows what tendon lies under this area. I am on the tail end(hopefully) of a PF flare up in my other foot and am also wondering if this could be because I have been favoring the non-PF foot?? Any ideas?

What you describe is pretty interesting.  If I'm undertstanding your description then all I can say is there really isn't much to work with there.  Right under your finger at that point should be the tibia (bone).  There is some superficial soft tissue but I haven't personally seen a runner with soft tissue damage in this area outside of impact trauma. (sports massage therapist)

If the pain feels "deeper" then the bone, or is a bit further towards the medial (inner) part of the tibia, or along the bone/muscle then that would be a bit more common.  In that case you have the tibialis posterior (muscle) and the posterior tibial tendon located there (though the tendon would be much lower then you are describing).  Pain in that area could be the start of "medial shin splints".  If this is the issue it will likely flare up after your runs and then fade when you stop running.

If that is the issue it will only get worse if something doesn't change.  Consulting a good sports ortho/PT/gait analyst might be the best option in that case.

It could be caused by the activity you describe.  It could also be coincidental.  Any time you have significant injury to any aspect of the lower limb your gait is going to change and depending on those changes you may develop other issues.

There really isn't a great way to be sure without a proper evaluation.

Good luck!

Joshua

2008-08-27 9:59 PM
in reply to: #1624081

User image

Master
Utah
Subject: RE: Pain above ankle bone
I had the same type of pain last winter when I first "got up off the couch". I started seeing a massage therapist every month, got fit for new running shoes at the local running store, got a foam roller, and saw a personal trainer who specializes in corrective exercise. I found out I have hip instability, and tight hamstrings. So,  foam rolling the hip flexors and adductors, the calves, and the IT band, some new running shoes, and a few simple exercises to strengthen the hip, and I am much better. I'm willing to bet it's a gait change due to your PF, but when was the last time you got new shoes? Rest it, stretch, watch your gait, and do all of the other stuff I did. Seriously, proceed cautiously, and I'm sure everything will turn out fine. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain above ankle bone Rss Feed