General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I just kidding myself here? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-31 2:31 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Am I just kidding myself here?
I recently started with the bike patrol unit of my police department.  I can usually average about two hours a day (4 days a week) and I'm guessing about 20 miles a day.  However, the two hours is usually broken over the course of the day with 30 min - 1 hour increments in different neighborhoods.  I try to utilize the hills within town as much as possible and can usually get my heart rate up for maybe a quarter of the time.   The rest of the time is casually riding through neighborhoods making myself visible to the town.  With an added long ride (25-40 miles) during my days off, do you think the benefit of this type of riding is enough for training?  I've only just started my training logs and I don't have a Garmin to let me know how far or fast I've ridden - just a guess really.  Are there any other bike officers out there that use their patrol time as any of their training?  How is it working?  Thanks for any input.

2008-08-31 2:49 PM
in reply to: #1640447

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Subject: RE: Am I just kidding myself here?
I am not on a bike patrol unit but I have convinced my chief to allow me to ride for overtime as a result of a surge in burglaries in our city. I have to ride at night to combat these burglaries. I use these rides as supplement to my other riding. Which sounds like a little of what you are doing.

Yes this riding helps you but you are not staying in you HR zones long enough to be giving yourself much of an aerobic base. I would get a computer for you bike, if you department will allow you to do that. This will allow you to get you total mileage as well as speeds.

I am still saving for my Garmin but with our salaries at the expense of this sport you know how that goes. Good luck with you training and BE SAFE!
2008-08-31 9:21 PM
in reply to: #1640447

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: Am I just kidding myself here?
This was my plan for getting in extra mileage next spring when we get our bike. My proposal was approved, but isn't in the budget until next year, which they hopefully remember.

I don't plan on it being a one for one substitue for a good training ride, but probably more like as a good recovery ride or long slow day, since I'd be able to go loooong stretches on the bike. We have some nasty hills here, so I've been looking at them for hill repeats to strengthen the legs. That and some several minute long sprint bursts (kind of like interval training) mixed in with regular patrol rides should add some benefit, as well.

Basically the extra mileage will be a plus either way, but your training rides should be more focused and purposeful to make up the difference.

Good luck and be safe.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I just kidding myself here? Rss Feed