General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 'mechanical difficulties' on the swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-08 5:40 AM

Expert
Southeast
Subject: 'mechanical difficulties' on the swim

Did my first tri on Saturday -- I had a blast.

The swim was always going to be the weakest part by far for me, but this was a new twist that I hadn't trained for:  Passing the turn buoy, I saw part of the rope floating there, then a moment later felt it on my leg and foot.  Then a moment later it felt sort of wrapped around my foot.  Then a moment later I realized that I was towing something, something, sort of, buoy-like.  I ended up having to tread water while I extricated myself from the rope.  Not fun.  Let's just say that an already very mediocre swim went downhill from there.

I was trying to cut off as much distance as possible.  Should I stay further clear of the buoys?

2008-09-08 5:59 AM
in reply to: #1657372

User image

SC
Subject: RE: 'mechanical difficulties' on the swim
I think it was just bad luck more than anything. Without seeing a picture of the buoy just to see if it was "weird" I have no idea how your leg could have gotten wrapped up on the anchor line. Most everyone I see including myself generally rub shoulders with the buoy with no problems. I doubt I'd change my approach to the buoy unless it happens again but I've never heard of this happening to anyone and I'd just chalk it up as a kinda funny bad luck story.

BTW: congrats on your first tri and I'm glad to see that you didn't let a little hiccup during the swim ruin your whole day. Well done
2008-09-08 7:49 AM
in reply to: #1657372

User image

Expert
Simi Valley

First off - congrats on your first one down and in the scheme of "things that could go horribly wrong in my first" this one is mild in perspective.  I think you should change your story when you tell it to friends that God/fate/destiny/tri gods thought you were too strong a swimmer for a first timer so they/he/she/it had to slow you down! 

Short some details for clarity related to your actual question.  Were you frog kicking - I am thinking that the lateral motion of that account could get around the rope?  But the standard up and down freestyle kick should keep you parallel to it.  Was the water shallow?  If there was a lot of slack in the rope - maybe let the RD know because that is a liability both for injury and race length.  Just my two cents.

2008-09-08 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1657483

Expert
Southeast
Revbigdog - 2008-09-08 8:49 AM

First off - congrats on your first one down and in the scheme of "things that could go horribly wrong in my first" this one is mild in perspective. I think you should change your story when you tell it to friends that God/fate/destiny/tri gods thought you were too strong a swimmer for a first timer so they/he/she/it had to slow you down!

Short some details for clarity related to your actual question. Were you frog kicking - I am thinking that the lateral motion of that account could get around the rope? But the standard up and down freestyle kick should keep you parallel to it. Was the water shallow? If there was a lot of slack in the rope - maybe let the RD know because that is a liability both for injury and race length. Just my two cents.

Thanks.  (I also managed to lose my chain on the bike, but that was a quick fix....)  I was free styling, kick with feet close together.  Yes, the water was shallow -- I noticed a lot of slack in the rope as I passed by.  I'm sure that's what 'enabled'  the entanglement.  I guess it was just freak bad luck -- I'm pretty sure that if the tri gods were watching me practice OWS the weekend before they wouldn't have felt any great need to slow me down...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 'mechanical difficulties' on the swim Rss Feed