Indiana Department of Natural Resources
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 59m 31s
Overall Rank = 162/234
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/7
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am, had coffee and oatmeal. Did all of the packing the night before so we just loaded up and went!
Event warmup:

None to speak of.. wait, does walking around the venue count? How about wrestling on my wetsuit?
Swim
  • 15m 32s
  • 500 meters
  • 03m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Oh my! I thought that all of my pool swimming would pay off here. I know that I had heard about people bombing the OWS; but I really didn't think that I'd be one of them. I put on my wesuit, got it the water and swam around and felt pretty good. It was weird not being able to see where you are in the water.. So the canon thing goes off, and I am on the outside and to the left. I put my face in the water to start swimming and I got the gasping reflex thing going on. I could not catch my breath or anything. I breast-stroked, back-stroked, side- stroked.. anything to keep me moving forward. I think the proximity of the other people, the coldness of the water, nerves- it all caught up to me. I was definitely disappointed and embarrassed especially when I know how much swim training I have done. I did finally freestyle in the last 100 or yards. Yeah!
What would you do differently?:

OWS, OWS, OWS, OWS, OWS, OWS
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

I felt pretty good here. Wetsuit came off pretty easily.

I'll get better as I do more tris. There wasn't really one thing that I could do differently, I just to get faster.
Bike
  • 58m 39s
  • 16.6 miles
  • 16.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Great course. I was a little nervous because I had heard that the course was hilly. Those hills were NOTHING! I was flying by people on the bike- especially on the uphills. That was awesome!

nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

My race belt came out of the clippy thing. I had to mess with that.. while I was running out of T2.

nothing
Run
  • 41m 33s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

By now it is hot and really humid out! Plus I had an exertion of about 9 the whole time so far. My legs were tired. I walked a few times out of sheer necessity. I had to get my HR down. It didn't stay down at all. I ran really hard and fast the last .25 mile coming down the stretch to the finish line. I finished and looked at my HRM and it said 177. I can truthfully say that I left NOTHING out there on that course. I gave it all I had that day!

Would of, should of, could of....
so much was out of my control and then my own problems started with the swim.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around and chatted with hubby and friend.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Humidity, going out like I did on the swim.

Event comments:

I am definitely going to do this tri again next year. It was awesome! I have some demons there to beat for next year. The event was very well run.
This was my second tri, ever. I have improved so much this year alone. I am excited and inspired to think how far I can go. This race was challenging both physically and mentally. I know that it was only a "sprint", but I know now that I have potential and nowwhere to go but up!

Last updated: 2008-03-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:32 | 500 meters | 03m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/7
Overall: 0/234
Performance: Bad
My HR was out of the ceiling! I looked at my HRM a couple of times: 161, 164
Suit: Nineteen Pipeline
Course: Started in the water. Swam out 150m, turned right around the bouy, swam another 200yds, turned right again and swam to the beach another 150m.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:58:39 | 16.6 miles | 16.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/7
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Course went around the Mississinewa Resevoir. Very nice
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 85
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:33 | 04 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/7
Performance: Below average
Course: trail run first 1.2 miles, then road run with a hill, then trail run for another mile, then road run to finish.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-15 12:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Mighty Mississinewa Triathlon

2008-09-15 1:27 PM
in reply to: #1674974

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
Subject: RE: Mighty Mississinewa Triathlon
Good job staying strong, I did the same thing when I started. I had been swimming in the pool and did a short sprint 400 yard swim and about 75 yards in I'm breathing crazy, breast stroking, I could not figure it out. I started swimming some OWS and it all went away I had to just learn to relax. I really like this event too they do a great job with and the course is fun. Sorry I missed you were you over with Greg? I'm sure we will meet up sometime soon.

again great job!

Ron
2008-09-16 6:48 AM
in reply to: #1674974

User image

Regular
Lafayette Indiana
Subject: RE: Mighty Mississinewa Triathlon
Great job Honey! I know how hard you worked for this and I truly admire that. You most definitely looked the part in your wetsuit, and you looked good on the bike, and you even looked good at the finish. Just think where we were back in March. You have come a long way. Congrats!  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mighty Mississinewa Triathlon Rss Feed