General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Specialized Transition Expert or Comp vs Cervelo P2C Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-26 7:09 PM

Veteran
Cornwall, PEI
Subject: Specialized Transition Expert or Comp vs Cervelo P2C

Alright, well first of all I just want to say that I have wanted the P2C for a long time now. I do love that bike and I always will I think. Not that I have tried it or anything but its just a sweet bike.

I was talking to my local bike shop guy and he could get me one, but not be able to give me a wicked deal on it like I would like to have(I buy a LOT of stuf there lol). He does not deal with Cervelo very often and that is why he couldn`t swing me an amazing deal...

This is where the Specialized Transition comes in, he deals with them all the time and he can get amazing deals from them and he would sell it to me to very close to cost to him.

What are you thoughts on both these bikes and comparisons.

THANKS

Edited by Mig 2008-09-26 7:12 PM

2008-09-26 7:37 PM
in reply to: #1700054

Subject: RE: Specialized Transition Expert or Comp vs Cervelo P2C
I can't speak for the Cervelo except that everyone I know who owns one are extremely happy. I have the Specialized Comp and I would not trade it in for anything. I originally wanted the Expert, but due to limited availability earlier in the season, I bought the Comp and upgraded all the components to Integra SL. I was going to do complete Dura Ace which would make it exactly speced to the Pro model, but after reading several articles, I used the money I saved, and bought a set of Flashpoint 60's. The bike was FIST fitted, and it performs so well.

The best thing, though, is see which bike fits you best. For me, it was the Specialized, but if you rcan ride both models, you may think differently. Try both out, if possible, and you will realize which bike is for you.
2008-09-26 7:50 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Do you have an opportunity to try them out? 

The key is going to be how you fit on the bikes.  Read the reviews and the Cervelo likely comes out on top every time, but what good is that if you're not comfortable on it?  Now if you feel good on both of them, the savings from the Specialized goes away over time - the longer you have the bikes, the hundreds you save won't be as meaningful - so the price should not be your main consideration.  So go for the bike that feels best to you.

2008-09-26 8:10 PM

Veteran
Cornwall, PEI

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately I will not be able to try the specialized until I order it. The P2C I could maybe try if I go visit a bike shop that is about 3 hours from here...which is possible...but last time I was there they didn`t have any in stock...

I really should do everything I can to try both bikes, I`ll see what the lbs says in regards to gettingn one in and trying it out first...

2008-09-26 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Just bought an expert, awesome.

Tom

2008-09-27 4:23 AM

Veteran
Cornwall, PEI

Thanks TC3,

I guess I just wish I could make a decision without trying them because I have a feeling that I might not be able to try both..

I guess the thing that bothers me is the Specialized Expert is more expensive then the P2C, but I could probably get it for about the same price or cheaper....so which is better...is the Specialized just over priced compared to the well priced P2C..and you get as much bike or better with the P2C??

And I know its all about feel of the bike and trying them both, but if that is not an option???!?what do you do then?

2008-09-27 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida

ya i'm interested in the responses to this exact question myself.  come Spring i intend to upgrade to a Tri bike and these are my 2 choices i've been eyeing.  My LBS carries Specialized and not Cervelo so it'll be hard to compare.  they also don't keep any Tri bikes in stock, so i'm probably gonna travel out of town to a shop that carries these specific bikes for me to try out.

i love my Specialized Allez, so the Expert or Comp sounds great.   however, i can't ignore the positive reviews and user recommendations for the P2C either.

i'll keep an eye on this thread and i'd be interested in what the OP decides and how it works out.

2008-09-27 11:54 AM

User image

Master
I own both a P2C and a Transition Pro; I bought the Pro waited and waited for it to show up. Canceled the order bought a P2C then the Specialized showed up and I could not refuse it. Both bikes fit me like a glove and I have had no major issues with them. The only real complaint that I have is that I rode tubular wheels this year that had a carbon braking surface. I also had 55/44 front chain rings on the bike. It was a pain in the rear to replace the rear brake pads before a race. I fortunately had a bike shop that did it for me for free after I goofed it up once. Other than that, I think that it is the motor not the machine and go with what fits you the best.
2008-09-27 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sunny San Diego
Assuming you fit both bikes equally well, the main difference b/w the P2C and the Transition is the components.

Your LBS may be able to get you a Transition Comp for the same price as a P2C Ultegra, but the Specialized is 105 spec'd vs. the P2C is Ultegra. IMO the only real difference between the two groups is a few grams and since they both use the same Dura Ace shifters, the feel is probably the same.

The Specialized have very a nice carbon Zipp cockpit vs. the Vision aluminum cockpit which is decent.

FYI, I own a P2C Ultegra and like it a lot.

2008-09-28 7:42 AM
in reply to: #1700772

User image

Master
xmann1102 - 2008-09-27 12:41 PM

ya i'm interested in the responses to this exact question myself.  come Spring i intend to upgrade to a Tri bike and these are my 2 choices i've been eyeing.  My LBS carries Specialized and not Cervelo so it'll be hard to compare.  they also don't keep any Tri bikes in stock, so i'm probably gonna travel out of town to a shop that carries these specific bikes for me to try out.

i love my Specialized Allez, so the Expert or Comp sounds great.   however, i can't ignore the positive reviews and user recommendations for the P2C either.

i'll keep an eye on this thread and i'd be interested in what the OP decides and how it works out.

That's me exactly...riding my Allez and looking at those two bikes. It's at least 3 hours to try anything out.
2008-09-28 10:13 AM
in reply to: #1701486

Veteran
Cornwall, PEI
monkeyboy64 - 2008-09-28 7:42 AM
xmann1102 - 2008-09-27 12:41 PM

That's me exactly...riding my Allez and looking at those two bikes. It's at least 3 hours to try anything out.

That is pretty funny that we are all in the same situation, but it is pretty sucky because the best advice given by anyone and everyone is try them both out...but unfortunately its not that easy...

2008-09-28 5:28 PM

User image

BA, Ok
My 2cents!!  I had been riding a Specialized Allez, love the bike, wanted a Tri specific bike.  Had my eye on the specialized transition comp and the P2C, spent months researching and visiting different bike shops.  looked at Felt, Giant, Specialized, all at local bike shops.  found one with a Transition Comp i could ride.  Had to drive 2hrs to test the P2C.  I had my heart set on the Specialized!!  Rode it one day then I made the drive to test the P2C.  Came home with the P2CDA!!  It fit me like a glove and the Specialized didn't.  Riding them was the deciding factor for me, i had planned on buying the Specialized without riding one!  $250 diff in price between the comp and the P2C and the comp was Ultegra and the P2C was Dura Ace.  I've been really Happy So Far!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Specialized Transition Expert or Comp vs Cervelo P2C Rss Feed