Mississippi Track Club
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 33m 39s
Overall Rank = 114/128
Age Group = 25-39
Age Group Rank = 11/13
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 2 hours before race. Ate a lite breakfast and drank about 36 oz of water. Stretched about 20-30 minutes at home and dressed for the event.

Left the house an hour before the race. 15 minutes to the venue.
Event warmup:

After check-in, lite stretch and lite jog for 5-10 minutes.
Run
  • 32m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I have not trained at this distance in my tri training. This race I used as a benchmark for this point in my tri training. I struggled on the last hills and had to walk a bit after the 2 mile mark, my 2-mile split was 20 minutes. I had a 30 minute target for this race. I underestimated the hills and that cost me time. I think it was a good place to start the season.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.

Since I have not run this distance prior too the race, my goal was to finish without walking at 30 minutes or run at least 27 minutes without walking. I could have trained for faster splits on my shorter training runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Lite stretch and walk around the gathering area, had plenty of fluid.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training below race distance. Not training for more speed on shorter training runs.

Event comments:

Good early race, looked to be a good turnout. Weather was chilly and damp. Rained a bit before and after the race.

Last updated: 2005-01-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:39 | 03.1 miles | 10m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/13
Overall: 114/128
Performance: Below average
Course: Through the UMC campus and out towards 1-55 along the frontage road to the MS.Highway Patrol HQ, then back on campus. Up and down hilly course. A good early season challenge for fitness and training assesment
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-02-20 4:41 PM

Madison, MS
Subject: Rush to Brush

2005-02-20 5:18 PM
in reply to: #120158

Elite Veteran
Subject: RE: Rush to Brush
You did great! This is a perfect time of year to work on your speed, but rather than starting with speedwork, I'd concentrate on running for 30-45 minutes at an easy (no more than Z2) pace (base work). You WILL get faster. Once you have a good handle on that, then incorporate speedwork into your runs.

Just a thought.
2005-02-21 12:16 PM
in reply to: #120167

Madison, MS
Subject: RE: Rush to Brush
I realized that I have not pushed speed enough in my runs or swims. So this week I am concentrating on speed and breathing on the short runs and swims. Endurance on the longer runs and swims, 90+ cadence on the bike.

My goal for my first tri in April is to finish in the middle of my group, the Clydesdales.

Thanks for the advice,
Jimbo
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rush to Brush Rss Feed