Space Coast Triathletes
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 54m 19s
Overall Rank = 87/177
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 11/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am and rechecked the race list and made some coffee. Had 1/2 of a power-bar for breakfast as we were out bananas for my usual breakfast. Used the Stick on my legs and stretched a bit, lower back was stiff. Left at 6am to head to the race site.
Event warmup:

At the body marking line I was asked if I'm wearing a wetsuit, "it's wetsuit legal!" I replied and the volunteer said yes. So I quickly racked the bike and organized my things and ran back to the car to head home and get my wetsuit. It's nice when you only live 5 miles from the race site. Ran back to the rack when I returned, blood was pumping by then!
Swim
  • 28m 57s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had to be a shorten course, I was surprised that I was out in 28min even with the WS as I didn't feel like I was putting in that kind of effort (in the next day's morning paper the overall winner said it had to be short). The start was a typical mess, I was on the right side but I was always swimming into people and decided to save the energy and slow it up a bit to let things spread out and go from there. I can't stand people that have to breast stroke every 10-20 yards near the start. I got kicked in the chest twice by someone that had to do this. I think he got the point when I grapped his foot the 2nd time. With the increased number of buoys this year it was easy to keep the navigation on track. After the 1st turn things where ok and I drafted wherever possible.
What would you do differently?:

Go out harder, I had the wetsuit on and could have gotten ahead of the mess I was in. During the swim I felt like I was just in easy mode, I should have put more effort into it but didn't feel it in me.
Transition 1
  • 04m 3s
Comments:

15/17, Zzzzz! Took my time in T1, half run, half walked to the rack. I had a hip flexor issue on the right side that felt like a cramp or something, weird. Heals caught some when trying to step out of the suit as I had no bodyglide applied on them, just used PAM spray on the calf's. Sat down and put on my socks and shoes and then the helmet and glasses. Noticed that I didn't reset the bike computer before I racked it so I stopped in T1 to reset.

Took it as it came to me, definitely could have been much quicker in T1. I have yet to have a good T1 in this race. I have to remember to reset the bike computer when I rack it, not the 1st time I've done this! I need to learn to have the shoes clipped in and to jump on and get up to speed then put my feet in the shoes.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 55s
  • 27.1 miles
  • 19.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Just didn't have it in me on this ride, unofficial goal was a 1:20 ride. This ride was slower than last years ride on the same course with "better" weather. I could tell right away in the first 2 miles as I was having a hard time getting up to speed. Decided to just enjoy the ride. Had some "painful fun" on the eastward stretches with the bridges and headwind, stayed low and thank goodness I have the new 13-25 cassette. Passed a lot of people on these stretches. It amazes me that people will stay in the big gears and sit up when heading into a stiff headwind & up the bridges!

Nothing, just wasn't there for me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

8/17, took an extra couple of seconds to drink some water and put some on my head then dropped the cap which I chased down. Should have just left the cap!

Forget the water deal in T2 as right outside the transition area they had a water station setup which I could have grabbed on the run. I need to learn to leave the shoes clipped on the bike and run to the rack without the shoes on.
Run
  • 56m 3s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Still didn't have it so I took what I could muster out of it, unofficial goal was 54min. Had to stop for a few seconds at ~ 1/2 mile into it and rub my thighs down quickly as they felt like they were going to spasm on me. When I restarted running I concentrated on running with the hips/core not the legs. Thank goodness it was overcast and breezy as keeping cool wasn't a real issue for me. Had a short period where it drizzled for a bit too at about the 1/2 way point. I don't know if the mile marker points were true or not as I was recording irregular intervals, could have been me! After 4 miles I just could not increase the pace to negative split the 2nd half the way I should have been able to.

Nothing, just wasn't there for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing special, had a bottle of water and hung out with the family for a while. Missed Jeff's finish but saw Neil come in, Tod the fish beat me! (great job you guys) When I got home I had a glass of chocolate milk and then some pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A bad taper. Business trip during the preceding week (Tues-Fri) with late nights getting no more than 5-6 hours of sleep each night and a not ideal diet took a serious toll on me. With 10 hrs sleep on Friday night I was still fatigued on Saturday and could only muster about 6 hrs again on Sat night. Could not control the circumstances so this is what I could do with it.

Also this race was with only 8 weeks of real training and the running miles are not where they should be yet. This is a building block for the winter and served its purpose of getting me back into the groove again as it did feel good to do a longer race again.

Event comments:

The redesigned course for the run took the character out of the race. Swim had to be short. I like this bike course, some year we'll get a nice calm day to do it!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:57 | 1640 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/17
Overall: 0/177
Performance: Below average
Suit: yes
Course: A different course from the past years with a stretched out triangle going clockwise. Also started and ended this year at the new pier instead of the shoreline. Had a deep water start in a contained area and finished on the opposite side with a double wide aluminum stair platform which was nice.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:03
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:55 | 27.1 miles | 19.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/17
* 0-5.5, 19.1 mph avg, 90 rpms avg; * 5.5-8.85, 16.4 mph, 95 rpms (serious headwind & bridges); * 8.85-13.7, 20.9 mph, 95 rpms ; * 13.7-20.1, 18.5 mph, 95 rpms (~2/6.4 miles with serious headwind & bridges); * 20.1-27.1, 20.6 mph, 90 rpms
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Big loop with a smaller loop in the middle for the Oly course. Longer that 40k distance by ~2.2 miles. Roads were a combo of rough to smooth and everything in between. The eastward direction (~ 6 miles total) had strong headwinds.
Road:  Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:56:03 | 06.21 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/17
Course: 2 loops with a cluster@^$#%& at the mid point/finish area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-10-06 9:27 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Health First Triathlon

2008-10-06 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1720464

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: Health First Triathlon

Nice race Donto!

I'd love to see your times when you are 'feeling it!'!

2008-10-08 8:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Sorry you didn't like the run.  For me, as a 1st timer, I'm kinda glad they killed the causeway run...but I LOVED the bike route!!!  Killer on the headwinds & then the final causeway - what fun!!

Sorry we didn't meet up - I found everyone but you.

2008-10-08 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Sorry you weren't feeling as zippy as usual, but you still did great! Great photos!
2008-10-08 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
Nice race! Sorry you didn't have it all, but sometimes life gets in the way. Good job getting it done and great pictures.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Health First Triathlon Rss Feed