USM Events
32C / 90F
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 18m 50s
Overall Rank = 361/860
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 65/165
Pre-race routine:

Went to bed at 8pm Sat night, lay there as expected for another hour thinking about race structure, when to take gels, how much to drink, what pace to hold on the bike, then how long for each lap of the run, all the normal things that triathletes think about the night before!
Got up at 3am and had 2 muffins with 1 whole banana mashed on top and started to sip a 500ml bottle of Hammer Heed. Headed off at 3.30am for the 1.5hr drive.
Turned up 15min before transition closed, bikes were racked and registered on saturday, so no rush.
Put my frozen bottle of Perpetuem (which had 3hrs worth of concentrated mix in one bottle) on my bike and 1 bottle chilled water and 1 bottle of frozen water, leaving 1 spare holder for later. Had 4 gels in my bag that mounts to top bar and also 5 endurolyte tablets. Carried 2 spare tubes.
Event warmup:

Got into water about 5min before race and waded around, start was late but it didnt bother me. Was a wetsuit optional race but chose not to wear one as I havent practiced.
Swim
  • 35m 57s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

One of my better swims, current was pushing us pretty hard on the way out but it was a struggle on the way back, had to make a decision to push hard to save time in the water. Felt good the wole way and when I got out, overall very happy.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe practice with wetsuit before next half.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Had a good transition, not super fast, wanted to make sure I was comfortable and had everything I needed.

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 43m 53s
  • 90.1 kms
  • 32.99 km/hr
Comments:

Better ride than I expected, wanted 1hr25/lap but got 1hr22 and 1hr21, so more than happy. Had perpetuem every 15min, first gel at 10min, then 70min, then 2hr10min, then 2hr30min. Had first bottle of water in 50min, then next by 1hr 35min, another by 2hr15m, and half a bottle of Heed which I picked up from drink station on second lap. Also had 5 enduralytes during the ride as it was warming up pretty quick so I wanted to keep salts up.
First lap was hard pace for 30km then found rythm, it was a bit crowded, 2nd lap was constant pace and more spread out, rode with another guy who was holding similar pace, not drafting of course, officials were right onto it.
Slowed for final 1.5km and had HR at about 145, getting ready for the hot half mary!!

Maybe drink just a little more, it was hotted than expected, pace was good.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Had a good t2, dried my feet and put socks on, hat on, grabbed a quick drink, restarted stopwatch and away we go.
Run
  • 1h 58m 59s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 38s  min/km
Comments:

1st km in 4m36, too fast, Hr too high (175) so dropped it to 171, and 2nd km in 4m52s, better!!
Took on water at first station and had a gel at 2nd station - 15min, had wter at every station at it was getting very hot by now (10am). Pace was dropping off pretty quickly, wanted to do 35min/lap(7km), which I did for the 1st lap, but then my pace dropped off, I just had to stick to my plan of 10 beats below threshold (170BPM), no matter what the pace or I would have blown up, this worked well as I didnt feel any worse for 2nd lap, took some coke in on the 2nd lap and drank a lot of Heed sports drink cause my enduralyte tablets got wet and up and vanished. It was a long and hot 21.1km, at the final 1.5km I picked up the pace HR at 180 to the finish and I must say I was absolutely spent.

More 2hr plus runs and maybe more gels on ride and run, I think I chewed thru the fuel quicker than I was putting it in.
Post race
Warm down:

Sit, then walk to watermelon table, then sit again, really wasnt with it mentally to think clearly, totally overwhelming and proud of finishing in a time close to my goal (I wanted 5hr15m)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness of course and more fuel/water

Event comments:

What a dream come true, I never thought I could say I'm part of the ironman family (even it is a half), but here I am planning on how to break 5hrs next year, this is why we love the sport, there is always another challenge!!!

Last updated: 2008-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:57 | 1900 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 86/165
Overall: 387/860
Performance: Good
Suit: no
Course: Out and back in saltwater canal
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 22C / 72F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:43:53 | 90.1 kms | 32.99 km/hr
Age Group: 46/165
Overall: 245/860
HR average = 157 (high zone 3)
Wind: Some
Course: 2 laps of 45km, mostly flat with 15-20km undulating on each lap, this made for high heart rate. Rough surface for majority of ride, but got used to it.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:58:59 | 21.1 kms | 05m 38s  min/km
Age Group: 78/165
Overall: 387/860
Performance: Average
171 average HR
Course: 3 laps of 7km on flat open roads around new estate.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-07 5:44 AM

User image

Subject: Cannibal Gold Coast Half Ironman

2008-10-09 7:27 AM
in reply to: #1723221

User image

Brisbane, Queensland
Subject: RE: Cannibal Gold Coast Half Ironman
awesome race mate and great RR. lots of info for me to examine and think about planning my 1/2 ironman.well done
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cannibal Gold Coast Half Ironman Rss Feed