General Discussion Race Reports! » Lafayette Family YMCA Pumpkin Push 10k and 1 Mile Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lafayette Family YMCA Pumpkin Push 10k and 1 Mile - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lafayette, Indiana
United States
YMCA
Sunny
Total Time = 42m 42s
Overall Rank = 7/83
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 6:30 ate a bowl of oatmeal, drank a couple cups of coffee and some water and headed out at 8:00 for the 15 minute drive.
Event warmup:

It was fairly chilly out so I jogged for about a half mile and did a few stretches
Run
  • 42m 42s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to run smart and not kill myself in the early miles. I was shocked with how high my HR was in the first mile. At points is was up in the upper 190's and maxed at 201??? After the first mile I settled in and started picking off people 1 at a time. I passed the overall female winner at the 5K mark and she made the remark that I flew by her and was looking awfully strong. I spotted 2 runners about 35-40 seconds in front of me and made them my target. From mile 5-6 I picked it up and made alot of progress in catching them. At the 6 mile mark I made my move and passed the one guy, who was in my age group and put some distance between us and caught the next guy. I got about 2 paces in front of him and with about 10 yards to go he sprinted and beat me. I was very pleased with my performance and how I strategically ran my race. I improved my time by 2 minutes over my last race two weeks ago.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I gave it all I had
Post race
Warm down:

Cheered on the other runners, waited for my fellow Triathlete to finish and then we cheered my wife on. She PR'd by 2 minutes!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only running twice a week.

Event comments:

A very well organized race for a low budget event. No traffic control and the country roads had high banks to them.

Last updated: 2008-10-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:42 | 06.2 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 7/83
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 7:06 HR: 156 Mile 2: 6:58 HR: 152 Mile 3: 6:55 HR: 135 Mile 4: 6:52 HR: 149 Mile 5: 6:39 HR: 152 Mile 6: 6:42 HR: 136 Mile 6.2: 1:29 HR: 134
Course: Mostly flat country roads with a bad berm. Had some rolling type hills and was an out and back course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-10-12 9:54 AM

User image

Regular
Lafayette Indiana
Subject: Lafayette Family YMCA Pumpkin Push 10k and 1 Mile
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lafayette Family YMCA Pumpkin Push 10k and 1 Mile Rss Feed