Catskill Mountain Multisport
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 24m 35s
Overall Rank = 1F/
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Got up and dressed, ate a bagel & went 10 miles to the race site. 1/2 mile warm-up jog to see how the run course started.
Run
  • 49m
  • 5 miles
  • 09m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I'd worn arm warmers and bike gloves as it was cool at the start. That made it a bit warm, even with the arm warmers down on my wrists.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I figured on a long day & just wanted under an hour to gauge what I'd need to do later
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

People weren't being that quick so my pace wasn't bad for transition.
Dirt road out of transition and my front brake was dragging slightly. Fiddled with the adjuster while descending on gravel, but it worked out fine.

Not much, maybe take my gel blocks next time.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 84 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

First main climb is the hardest, far side main climb is more gradual but pretty evil too.

Oh, lose some weight so I don't have to carry as much up the hill.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

It felt good to be off the bike. That's a major understatement. The 3rd time up the first major climb, I refused to look at the hill, just pedaled 100 strokes, got out of the saddle for 10 more and repeated until I got to the underpass.

Weights? Hill work? I'm not sure what would have helped too much. It's just a tough bike. But with the weather so fine, I'm glad I didn't drop down to the S/C.
Run
  • 00m
  • 15 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Fell part of the way into 3rd lap and banged up my elbow, first real injury of the year. My fault, thinking that it would be good to finish.
I thought the run would be the hard part of the race, but the bikes the thing. Beyond that you just need some run endurance to finish. Walk the climbs and stay upright and work the carriage paths to gain time.

Not much.
Post race
Warm down:

Immediately thanked everyone, ate wonderful food, went to get in traffic for the drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The distance and toughness of the course.

Event comments:

My favorite and hardest race this year. Harder than Bull Run 50m, and Lake Placid. I was elated to finish and getting an age group 1st by 5 minutes over 10.5 hours was a nice bonus. The food afterwards was the best by far I've seen at a race. The volunteers were upbeat. I won a big beer mug and could have filled it if need be. Red Bull on the 2nd run at aid stations probably saved me, or at least got my attitude better. The whole atmosphere and venue were just fine.

Last updated: 2008-10-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:00 | 05 miles | 09m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Well, it was hilly and there were some climbs & technical stuff but the carriage trails were good for speed.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:00:00 | 84 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Average
3 X 28 miles. 1:51 first lap, 2:03 2nd, don't want to think about the 3rd. Probably spent 6:05 or so out.
Wind: Little
Course: Well, that was just tough. 12,000 feet vertical gain and the downs never make up for the climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 15 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Good
Slow first lap while I got my legs back, moderate 2nd, elated 3rd, becaue I knew I was going to finish.
Course: 3 sections for a total of 5 miles. Jumped a black snake on the 2nd loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes