General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Supplements for Triaths to Build Muscle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-02-25 8:41 AM
in reply to: #122175

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Supplements for Triaths to Build Muscle
But sometimes you just have to let guys be guys. Lets make a deal...we won't give you a hard time about the closet full of shoes and hand bags if you let us go on thinking that all those supplements in the cabinet will make us big and buff

• Now please don't flame me for that obviously sexist comment...I'm just playing around. I do agree though...the basic diet you laid out is the way to go...but it should be viewed as a lifestyle instead of a "diet". That being said, there are supplements out there that have been shown to improve performance, speed recovery, and help prevent pain and injury...and who out there isn't willing to spend a little cash for that extra edge?

Traveski - 2005-02-24 11:28 PM

AdventureBear - 2005-02-25 12:59 PM

THis clearly seems like a guys thread, but I"ll give it a whirl. The original poster says, "I'm probably eating too many carbs." I'd say focus on a natural, unprocessed whole diet that includes complex carbs, whole grains for sustained energy, lean proteins (fish, soy, eggs, nuts, turkey) and healthy fats (olive, nuts, salmon), along with plenty of veggies and a few fruits. It sounds very basic, but until you've really sat down and given it a good shot by balancing your diet, i think that spending time & money on muscle supplements is silly. You really can get all the protein you need for a triathlete's body from your regular diet. Focus on the basics first, we can never stop trying to master them.

This may have been a guys thread, but it took a girl to set them straight...well said!!

2005-02-25 9:30 AM
    in reply to: #122227

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Tokyo, Japan

I hope you're not implying (sp?) that I'm a girl!?!?

Oh, and I agree that yes, there are some supplements that assist in recovery, but that's mainly due to there "normal" ingredients like carbs, protein and fat IMO.  I often eat a Power Bar before or after a workout if I can't have a meal straight away.

The point.  Don't believe EVERYTHING you read...ESPECIALLY if it comes from companies with a stake in the product.

2005-02-25 10:41 AM
    in reply to: #121967

New user
    What your doing is a good strategy. If you keep it up and up your protein intake through natural foods like Egglands eggs or something your gonna get more power out of your muscles without the bulk. Also if you bulk up your gonna actually lack in endurance is at will become harder to supply yourself with oxygen. Try giving yourself a massage or somehting to increase blood flow for quick recoveries.
    2005-02-25 10:44 AM
    in reply to: #121991

User image

Elite
    Chicago

TH3_FRB - 2005-02-24 2:43 PM I heard this EPO stuff works well...I guess it can technically be considered a supplement

bah....procrit is MUCH more effective.

2005-02-25 6:07 PM
    in reply to: #122180

User image

Minneapolis, MN
    u can't train for a tri outside of base training and expect to gain any muscle....just maintaining stregnth is pretty good. Also when I lift hard before running, swimming or biking, I get spent really quick, and vice versa.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Supplements for Triaths to Build Muscle Rss Feed  

of 2