Plano, Texas
United States
presented by Plano Cylcing and Fitness
Total Time = 1h 21m 2s
Overall Rank = 109/406
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 28/48
Pre-race routine:

Slept in the media room to try to get uninterrupted night of sleep (last race only got a few hours rest). Didnt realize how cold the media room got at night, use more blankets next time.
Event warmup:

Walked around tried to find other BT memebers but only saw their bikes.
Swim
  • 04m 49s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

They switched to a snake swim with 1 way lanes a few days before race, nice!! Listed as 300 yd, but think that pool is a meter pool. Had no idea how to begin race so went with stepping in and pushing off wall, seemed to work ok. First pass was middle of lane and went smooth. Next guy I caught at a wall and he got in my way and slowed me down a bit. Came up on a group of 3 the last 75 yards and just went in with them, got stuck behind them exiting the water.
What would you do differently?:

Need to work on my pool starts since this was my first one. Time passes better so I can get them in the middle and not at the wall. Could have went by the group of 3, but would have gassed me (still not sure if I should have or if I did it right). Had some left at the end, swim faster overall.
Transition 1
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

Good pace running to transition. Got the the bike and couldnt find my glasses, where are they? Looking around looking around, forget it, just get on helmet and go....umh, helmut doesnt fit....oops, wrong rack. Run over to right rack and had smooth transition from there. Still love my cheap walmart socks, go on smooth without rolling, just slip right on. Started going on bike, oops, forgot to reset computer and also realized didnt start watch before swim.

Umh, what do you think? Yeah, go to the right bike, and suck it up and pass anyone the last 75 that I can. Reset computer before the race and remember to start watch at the beginning.
Bike
  • 46m 26s
  • 13.89 miles
  • 17.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Took off on bike and felt pretty good. Had a slight head wind, but kept thinking about the tailwind on the way back in. 3 or 4 miles in saw some guys flying the other way, they were moving!! Got passed by 7 or 8 guys maybe, all on tri-bikes. Passed a few people myself.

Plain and simple go faster. Probably should hydrate a little more, barely drank any water.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Went to the right rack the first time on this transition. Everything went smoothly.

Quicker out of shoes next time. Everything else smooth
Run
  • 25m 19s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Took off on the run and saw my wife and son, they weren't going to come. That was a nice surprise, although it didn't help the horrible cramps in my calfs. Came up on a guy that took me a while to get by, he said that is all he had left. Kept watching a 15yo kid run and stop run and stop, looked like side cramps. Just kept trying to stretch things out and get my calfs working. By the time my calfs loosened up, my thighs felt shot. Made it around the grass field and picked it up for the final 1/2 mile (a mile after I had planned to kick it up)

3 minute improvement over last race, so headed the right direction. I know I can drop it 1 minute a mile, need to work on the run like I work on the swim.
Post race
Warm down:

walked over and found the family, mom and dad made it out (thanks for the cool pictures dad). Sun was hot, went in the shade, shade got cool, went to the sun. Walked my wife and carried my son back to the car (that was a long walk, well over a mile) Came back to the finish to find my friend and check out the times. Headed out to Kelly's restaurant nearby for a relaxing lunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Get on the bike more and run more.

Event comments:

First annual event, went smoothly.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-10-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:49 | 300 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/48
Overall: 12/406
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool snake swim.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:03
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:46:26 | 13.89 miles | 17.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/48
Overall: 155/406
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:19 | 03.1 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/48
Overall: 0/406
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-10-19 9:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Blackland Triathlon

2008-10-20 7:54 AM
in reply to: #1753171

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Blackland Triathlon
Congratulations on the 3 minute improvement.  You're right about the pool distance.  This pool is short course yards or long course meters.
2008-10-20 10:13 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
great job out there
2008-10-20 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the support, had a good time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Blackland Triathlon Rss Feed