United States
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 59m 54s
Overall Rank = 559/781
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 76/131
Pre-race routine:

Late night snack during SNL after several beers at a party the night before seemed to hold me over till the morning. Only had half a banana, a little water and a two sips of coffee before hitting the road. Wrote down two sets of directions (one from the race website, one from the Florian Hall website) and hoped one would be fairly straightforward.

Two sets of directions and still got lost, as is par for the course with my "away games". The OMG-will-I-make-race-time-panic! is a nice adrenaline boost before start time. :) Took a beautifully scenic drive along the water back to the turn I missed immediately off the exit and parked across from the finish line. It was FREEZING out - cold and windy - but with little time, we stripped off the long pants and jackets we knew we wouldn't need post-mile 1. Desperate for a restroom, but looking up our race numbers and pinning bibs left little more than 5 minutes till start time and the line was a dozen women deep, so out in the cold to do a little dance instead.
Event warmup:

Too cold to stretch and the race was off before we knew it... oh wait, that was just everyone confused and sprinting to where the actual start line was. Good 1/8th mile+ warm up for the pack, took some of the edge off the cold. Listened to two of four of the Boston Firefighters A Cappella quartet sing the national anthem (nicely done!) and some guy behind us talking to his buddy he spotted in the crowd, telling him with Boston accent, "last year you beat me like a screen door in a hurricane!"
Run
  • 59m 54s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

So cold on the start got me moving too fast, too soon to get the blood flowing. Crossed the first mile marker at 9:05 and knew I'd be dead by the first two miles if I kept that up so backed off, but didn't feel like my legs really got warm until after 15-20 minutes moving. Kept up with JJJ for the first two miles, then let myself eat his dust instead of collapsing, hoping he was feeling good about our aggressive start. Caught glimpses of him at the next couple of turns, but didn't try to catch up.

Kept water intake to sips, not because I didn't need it, but because I knew a restroom was an hour away and didn't want to push it. The sun came out directly overhead taking us from shivering to sweating by the halfway point. Started to get dehydrated around mile 4, still being overly conservative with my water intake, and got really fatigued really fast. Cheered on by cars and a long line of leather-clad bikers on the other side of the meridian helped encourage me to pull out everything I had for mile 5+. Took a couple seconds at every water station along the way, but was proud to not let that drag or walk any part of the couse. Wouldn't let myself slow after hearing each split that indicated I was on my way to breaking an hour.

Finish line in sight: two ladders and a huge flag framing the street in front of the firehouse and the clock about to hit an hour. Kicked it up to a high gear I didn't know I had and passed about 5 or 6 other runners to bring it in for a PB of under 1 hour.

Got the best compliment at the race finish! A woman stopped me just moments after I did my little PB-Under-An-Hour-Dance! and told me that I did really well and thanked me since she was following me practically the whole race since my pacing was really good. That was really cool to hear!
What would you do differently?:

Google maps. Earlier arrival to warm up inside.
Post race
Warm down:

Stop one: RESTROOM. Stop two: RACE SHIRT. Really good shirts at this one. Long sleeve cotton, thinner and breathable, comfy sizing (not too tight around the wrists) and very subdued graphics - I'll definitely use this one as training layer running this fall/winter. Stop three: BEER. Yum. Stop four: INSIDE Brrr. Plenty of room inside Florian Hall to stretch out a bit in the warmth. Upon going back to the car to put on additional layers to head back to the celebration, we both realized we were STARVING and decided to head out to Santarpios for celebratory pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No real warm up or stretching pre-race, and did not attend to my poor bladder prior to the run. Getting up earlier to have a real breakfast may have helped as well.

Event comments:

I like this course better than Tufts 10k which I've done three years in a row. Much more scenic, inclines are all gradual and no sharp turn-arounds. Beer and band (pretty good Irish party band) post race is also a plus, as well as 1/10th the participants. I definitely want to do this one next year, and will probably think of Tufts as my warm-up, rather than the big event.

Last updated: 2008-10-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:59:54 | 06.21 miles | 09m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 76/131
Overall: 559/781
Performance: Good
Course: Course took off from Hallet Street up to Morrissey Blvd to run right along the water. Great views looking down at the water and beach, including a Boston Fire Dept boat with sirens blaring as it fountained water in 5 streams from the boat in a pretty awesome display for the racers. Flat and fast course, as promised, only had some minimal and very manageable inclines looping around by U Mass Boston and back to Florian Hall. Timers reading splits and water at every mile made pacing very easy.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes