Team Ortho
44F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 01m 3s
Overall Rank = 466/1018
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This seems to work the best for me. The night before, I prepared all of my gear. I was in bed by midnight, which is pretty good for me right before a race. Normally, I'm up really late. I woke up at 6:30 am this morning and had a small breakfast. I ate a banana, 1 piece of toast with butter and jam, and drank some water. I actually went back to be for about 20 minutes and then got dressed. I left to pick up Jay, who was also running in the race. It took a little bit to find a place to park, but we managed. I ate half a bar before the race and made sure I visited the port-a-potty.
Event warmup:

We jogged a little on our way to the start. I think that was a good idea, since it woke up the muscles a little bit.
Run
  • 2h 01m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

The wind was rather brisk so I had to keep my second layer on. I took it off for a few miles and got cold. In general, it was a good run. I probably could have pushed it more, but it was my first half. I wasn't sure how I'd do in the end. The training runs I had done were at the most 9 miles, so I wanted to make sure I didn't over extend myself in the first third of the race. I was at 54 min at 6 miles and 1:50 at 12 miles. My watch said 2:00:23 when I stopped it, but my official time was 2:01:03. Since I wasn't under 2 hours, no cheesecake for me.

Also, I ate a gel at 6 miles and at 10. I also had water at 10 miles. I think a hydration belt would help me. I had to stop and drink the water & gatorade. I've tried to fold the cups before and it sort of works. But at that point, I really needed a drink just to clear all the goo.
What would you do differently?:

Run a full half before race day. I wasn't sure I would make the distance, but now I know. I would also build in cross training on the bike on rest days. When I was biking, the sprint work and tempo runs just seemed easier.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm-down? Don't you mean, warm-up? I was freezing after the race. My clothes were wet and it was windy. I had to stand in a crowd of people just to stay warm. We left for the car though quickly and I was able to change into dry warm clothes. That's the thing I like least about races. I'm always so cold afterward. Even after the Turtleman Tri in August, I had to put on a sweatshirt and pants.

Event comments:

This race is very fun. There were lots of kids out to see the runners dressed in costume. Next year, I think I should dress like Pippi Longstocking. The route was also beautiful, when I actually noticed it.

Last updated: 2008-08-13 12:00 AM
Running
02:01:03 | 13.1 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1018
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3