Australian Triathlon Forum Queensland » I am doing Raby for my first Rss Feed  
Moderators: kaqphin, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-09 3:12 AM

Subject: I am doing Raby for my first

I think i have bitten off more than i can chew, i have entered for the Raby Bay Enticer tri

Scareing the crap out of me now

Who else is going??

Also what do ya wear for the swim to bike to run? Same gear or what?

Also when i ride i use bike pants with a shammy is this allowed or done??

Cheers for your responses

2008-11-09 6:02 PM
in reply to: #1797954

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
Subject: RE: I am doing Raby for my first

Hey Aus,

You'll have a great time. The GTS is a really well organised and well supported series. I haven't been to Raby Bay but the Robina event is fantastic. The volunteers rock and everyone is very supportive. I would suggest some tri shorts for the event. But the enticer is not too long that that you will suffer without them. I used some bike shorts with a light chamois in them for my first event. It was a little unusual after the swim leg but not too bad on the bike and run. Use your first event to work these things out for yourself, but most importantly have fun. I guarantee you will  

2008-11-09 7:13 PM

thanks for that i appreciate it
2008-12-07 1:44 AM

Mate , Me too. I will be breast-stroking my way across those 300 metres of green water next sunday. Im not strong swimmer by any means,never swum in the sea before so thats going to be the tough bit.

Ive put in some miles on the bike and done some swim/Bike & bike/run training I feel quite confident about that.

I am resigned to probably being last in my group because of my awful swim, but its the first tri for me, finishing will be an achievement and there are 4 more this series to improve. Im going to hang back in the swim , avoid the pumelling/pushing and all that nonsense, will be happy to not drown. I can do the distance in a pool ok but I know im going to be slow. I"ll bein the II group - 38yrs old so last group to enter hte water for the enticers.

I figure just take it easy - aim to finish and relax about it.

There is a pre-session briefing on the saturday afternoon (they just changed the times). Its about 330pm 

I think you can wear what you like , Im wearing same shorts to swim/ride/run and using something I found called Bodygluide (picked it up in southbank sports shop) to stop chaffing from wet ->bike->run. (Vaseline is meant to work as well). 

You can use bike pants for sure but for a 10k ride Im thinking more about the speed in the transition / getting changed and comfort for the run than comfot on the bike. I can stick a 10k ride in normal shorts i think. 

I checked out the race at Robina 2 weeks ago looks like the enticers finish getting into the water about 15 minutes before the longer distances get in. That means we get 15 minutes to finish and get out before they come chasing after. 

Mate its going to be great fun - and there are plenty of unfit people doing it. Also because of hte way that there are multiple races running , or rather multiple groups of people in different categories running, all at the same time - there is a constant stream of epople running, riding, swimming and finishing - so the only one who knows were you are in your field is you. If you have to walk to finish the run then no problem ,you dont need to kill yourself on the bike, just finish, just take it easy and get across the line. 

2008-12-15 5:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

Auswithspirit and spalen, I'd love to hear how the two of you went.  Looking forward to reading your race reports. 

A bit hot on the day but it was FUN.  The swim had really great conditions. 

New Thread
Australian Triathlon Forum Queensland » I am doing Raby for my first Rss Feed