General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recumbent bike trainer vs actual bike on roller/trainer? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-17 11:43 AM

New user

Takoma Park, MD
Subject: Recumbent bike trainer vs actual bike on roller/trainer?
I have a nice recumbent bike trainer at my home with interactive heart rate monitor, rpm meter, interval programs, etc. I originally purchased it to help recover from serious lower back problems, and it let me get a good endurance-type workout without pressure on lower back, knees from running, etc.

Now years later I'm training for a triathlon, and wondering if time on the recumbent bike machine can substitute for a portion of the bicycle training sessions. I realize it's not the same, but with a busy full-time job, childcare responsibilities that don't always allow me to leave the house and the bad weather coming, I was wondering if I might take advantage of the machine I have.

Or is a bike roller the only way to go?

As a triathlon beginner, I'd be grateful for any insight folks may have.

Thank you!

2008-11-17 11:49 AM
in reply to: #1812472

User image

Expert
Florida
Subject: RE: Recumbent bike trainer vs actual bike on roller/trainer?
I am somewhat new myself but I would answer....
Training is training. I use a stationary bike at the gym sometimes and sometimes I ride my bike(still learning how to use the clipless system so I don't look like a moron too often when i fall over after forgetting to clip out)
I think for any beginner and this is what i have read and heard, that you just want to start establishing an endurance base. Sure-closer to the tri-your gonna wanna be riding your bike way more than a statoinary or recumbant, but for now-just put the time in any way you can and goodluck!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recumbent bike trainer vs actual bike on roller/trainer? Rss Feed