Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Since there are a couple threads about dogs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-19 4:02 PM

User image

Expert
Madison
Subject: Since there are a couple threads about dogs

Ugh!  I help with animal rescue and I just got off the phone with a person who helps rescue dogs from the Gastonia Animal Shelter in North Carolina.  They serve a city of about 200,000 and they gas 600-800 dogs a month!  Gassing also a lot less humane than shots.  Here is the website.   http://egov2.co.gaston.nc.us/AnimalWebPub/hknlinq.aspx  any dog can be put down after it's release date and they gas animals 3 times a day!  I am working on establishing a transport conduit between NC and WI so hopefully I can help get some of these dogs into rescues but this is just frustrating!

Ok, done venting.  Better until the next time I check my email and see more harmless animals.

Edited by runs_with_jasper 2008-11-19 4:02 PM

2008-11-20 8:21 AM
in reply to: #1817298

User image

Expert
Madison
Subject: RE: Since there are a couple threads about dogs
More information about getting an animal from this shelter in case anyone is interested.

Procedure

If you call the shelter in Gaston County, it is very important that you talk to Lisa.  If she does not answer the phone, ask for her.   I send the shelter emails out to the different group, including to the group that you replied to.  The shelter gasses at 8 AM, at 4 PM and if they still have
too many pets, they will again gas at 5 PM. 

Further, if an animal gets sick with a runny nose, diarrhea, vomiting, or whatever, they will gas that pet and not hold it for a scheduled gassing.  They also have the option of gassing an animal anytime else during that is the release date.  There is no guarantee that the pet will be
held until 4 PM.  IF you are interested in getting a pet, you must call the shelter immediately before the release date.  You will be able to pick the animal up the day before the release date if you are there by 4:30 PM to do the paperwork and then promptly at 5:01 you can get the pet and leave because they will close.  OR you can get there when they open on the release day (they open to the public at 11 AM) and try to get the animal but you are taking your chances that the animal will still be alive.

These people are serious.  They will not play around.  Your best bet to secure an animal is to contact Kathy, Lisa, Rhonda, Marcie or Jen by phone or email, this information is listed at the beginning of each email.  Tell them the tag # of the pet, and have them pull it for you. 

Gaston County North Carolina Animal Shelter

Call Lisa Benton @ the Gastonia Animal Shelter and leave a message with tag number and your contact info

(704) 922-8677, and choose prompt # 4 if you can foster/rescue.  

They begin answering the phones at 8:30am

Animal League of Gaston County

Marcie Bonar

www.algc.us

704-914-7499 (cell), Call after 4pm

Kristy Ballard at [email protected]  charter.net

Rhonda Blake… her email is: [email protected]  aol.com or cell 704-914-5229

Kathy Cole at 704-914-5409 for VTech animals only !

2008-11-20 5:44 PM
in reply to: #1818083

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
That's just harsh. My guy came to me after one and a half years in a no-kill shelter ... thank goodness for that!
2008-11-20 8:18 PM
in reply to: #1819043

User image

Expert
Madison

I know it's just harsh out there.  You adopted a big black dog and they are always the last to get adopted (I have no idea why).  I am pulling a big black lab/boxer mix from the Animal Control in North Carolina and not only is he a big black dog, he is about 6 years old so he isn't a cute puppy.  Hopefully we can get him adopted soon anyway.  He is a really nice dog from all I hear.  He will be in Wisconsin on Wednesday.  He was due to hit the gas chamber on Tuesday.

Edited by runs_with_jasper 2008-11-20 8:19 PM
2008-11-21 7:49 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

ughhh I hate to hear this. I am in upstate SC and I can't believe this is still going on around here. I just got my rescue that was pulled from a shelter that only gives them 5 days. She is such an angel I can't believe they would have just let a sweet girl like her go without even trying to find a home.

These are not humane societies. These are animal control shelters. Big Difference.

2008-11-21 9:50 AM

User image

Expert
Madison
I know.  The stories I hear coming from some of these shelters are even worse than the statistics.  It's not the staff's fault generally, there are just too many coming in and no education of the public.  I have heard stories of staff trying to rescue all they can and ending up with a house full of animals, and the animals keep flooding in.  Eventually they kind of shut down.  Someone sent a question about fostering animals and I know in every area there is a huge shortage of places for animals.

2008-11-21 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
On the road...somewhere
Spend more time and money on spay/neuter programs and this won't be an issue.
2008-11-21 12:42 PM

User image

Expert
Madison

There are some spay/neuter programs around but it seems a lot of people in certain areas just don't care enough.  Unfortunately, in many of these areas there isn't enough money to even adequately care for the dogs/cats that are already there, much less get them all fixed so the problem is reduced.  If the money were there, that would be wonderful.  Unfortunately, money, time, and resources just aren't there.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Since there are a couple threads about dogs Rss Feed