Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Triathlon Love Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-06 11:46 PM

User image

New user

Chicago, IL
Subject: Triathlon Love
:-O I have lots of good triathlon stories....but one involves a boy...

I started doing triathlons my sophomore year in high school. I decided to travel down to Effingham to do a sprint distance race. (P.S. A great race-I know they still have races down there-not sure if they still have this one. My aunt lived down there, so I had a place to sleep the night before it worked out great!)

ANYWAY, during the awards, I met a really sweet, intelligent guy. We exchanged emails-he was going off to college in D.C. that fall. (By the way, this was before email really caught on. The only reason I had a hotmail account was to correspond with my Spanish pen pal.) It was great-that kind of stuff just doesn't happen to me anymore (maybe I am not as cute as I was back then). I don't even remember his name, but I remember him!

Does anyone have a similar story? Did you meet anyone special at a race? Let's hear it!

2004-03-07 12:23 AM
in reply to: #10940

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Subject: RE: Triathlon Love
well, this isnt a triathlon story but all the same...
i met a girl at nationals one year in the NSW team who was doing the steeple chase in the same age division as me. She was really freaking out and didnt want to run...as it turned out she ended up coming 3rd. We spent alot of the time up there talking but since then, she has gone to uni and we dont speak much any moreā€¦

says in your profile you do the steeplechase too, im quite surprised... i dont know too many steeplechasers
2004-03-07 12:31 AM
in reply to: #10945

User image

New user

Chicago, IL
Pro Rider-

I never said I was good at steeplechase-I am sure your lady friend would kick my butt. I know how she feels, dreading the race.

You are right. There are not many women steeplechasers. This will be the third year for women's steeplechase in NCAA Division III, the fourth year for Division I and II. In my conference, which included 7 schools, there were only about 14 steeplechasers.

What is the NSW team?

I graduated from college last year, but would like to get my act together and compete in a couple of open track races (steeplechase, of course) at the end of May!
2004-03-07 12:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Hehe, sorry forget explain... New South Wales. im from Australia so i dont know too much about the competitions over there. i know what you mean with the steeplechase, im in the same position with the triathlon...used to do it (not too succesfully) but im giving it another go.
2004-03-07 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
I have, unfortunatly, never met any loves at my races, but I have met some nice people. On my way to my first marathon, Marathon Deutsche Weinstrasse, I met a nice russian. Everybody that thought about going to watch me run, cancled at the last moment, and I was on my own. We were both in the country(germany) for a short time and both on our own for the race so we warmed up together and just chatted. It really calmed me down to know someone there. He went on to take sixth place overall, while I was happy to finish. At the awards, we sat together and He got a 500 mark check(one of the big fake ones that you get so everyone can see) and a letter of congradulations. He could not read the letter, because it was in german. I read it for him and it told him where he could get the real check. He bought me a beer for my help in getting his money and we went our seprate ways home.

on a seperate topic, I have always wanted to try the steeple chase. In highschool, I was a distance runner, and hurdler. I didn't go on to run in college. I know some local college meets are open to the public. I will have to give it a try.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Triathlon Love Rss Feed