General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new 2 tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-08-14 6:07 PM

North Cackalacky
Subject: new 2 tri
I have recently (july) been inspired by a cousin to pursue a tri. I am 33 y.o and currently 6'1" 210 lbs (26 down from January) and (10 down from July). I have been doing all kinds of reading on this site and am getting more motivated with every new posting. I have increased my running to 6mi and my biking to 28mi. My swimming however suffers. I can breast stroke forever, but I am sucking wind at 50 yards with my freestyle. Fortunately most athletes are more than willing to give words of encouragement and advice. I really only started to work on my freestyle about a week ago. My rest time between my 50 yards is getting shorter every swim day. I am hoping that I will able to complete 100 successive yards by the end of this month. I told my wife that I want the Total Immersion video for my birthday. I am hoping that this will help me to some degree.

By the way, what are decent avg mph speeds on flat bike rides?

PS Ron, thanks for this site it has been an inspiration.

PPS Mike, what is your website that I have been hearing references to?

soon to be tri'n,
Matt

2003-08-14 6:25 PM
in reply to: #458

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: lurker turned poster???

YESSSS!!!  Glad to hear form u matt!   sounds like your well on your way to an olympic...huh?  i have heard many good referances to total immersion.  be patient though, sounds like u started just like me.  the freestyle comes with a little pain BUT before u know it, it will be like breathing itself - totally natural and second nature.  just keep doing what u r doing and all of a sudden....BAMMM!!!  u will be all freestyle! 

a recent post on the bike mph was similiar to yours...  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/thread-view.asp?threadid=137&posts=3 , hopefully i will have more info on this soon.  post away matt!

2003-08-14 6:45 PM
in reply to: #461

North Cackalacky
Subject: RE: lurker turned poster???
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I hope it works out that way. Because right now it feels like I am spending a whole lot of time in the pool and getting nowhere. I'm not getting discouraged at all though. If this new motivation that has bit me didn't happen I would be at my old habits of hitting McD's in the morning for a fattening breakfast before work. Now it's up at 5:00 and off on a swim, bike or run. THAT IS THE WAY TO START A DAY!!!

Thanks again,
Matt
2003-08-14 9:16 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: new 2 tri
There are 2 things I think that are key to improving your swim. 1. Get a swim coach to work with you a couple of times so that you learn proper technique. 2. Swim, Swim, Swim. This sounds simple, but the time in the water makes a difference.

Let me offer this word to you. In Jan of 2002, I had never been in a lap pool. It was almost a traumatic experience for me. I hung in there and Monday, this was my work out with some of my friends from the local tri club. 300-yard Warm Up, 10X100's (25 catch-up drill then 50 max effort then 25 catch up drill) 4 X 400 max effort with 1 min rest. 300 cool down.

I would have never dreamed that I would be doing a workout like that. I am still not a fast swimmer, but I have improved tremendously from where I started. There is no reason, that you can't work hard and do the same thing.

Still Tri'n
Michael
WWW.WhenBigBoysTri.com
2003-08-19 2:36 PM

Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: new 2 tri
Hi Matt,

I too am new to all this and I feel your pain, especially with swimming. I am having to learn how to breath on every other stroke while trying not to drown. At 51, all this exercise has really recharged me and I've become addicted.

Keep up the good work.......Bob
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new 2 tri Rss Feed