DCB Adventures
NiceF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 13m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Solo Gear Male
Age Group Rank = 41/52
Pre-race routine:

Friday was a day of packing and getting ready. Left Tucson much later than we wanted. Got up to the race venue campground at around 10:30 and met up with friends Liane and Nate. Got to sleep sometime after 11:00 PM, not good since we got up before 5:00. Had a Builder Bar and Gatoraide for breakfast.
Event warmup:

We had to ride up the the start/finish area to pick up our "packets", considing of a shirt, a water bottle, a number, and a punch card "baton". Then hung around near the start line, trying to keep warm.
Bike
  • 9h 13m 37s
  • 77.55 miles
  • 8.40 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was to get in 5 laps, and I made it! Nuturition seemed to go well, the only real problem I had was a horrible saddle. I only had one ride on that saddle, and wasn't sure it would work well or not
What would you do differently?:

Replace my saddle earlier! And of course, train more.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down was a ride back to the campground on the road. At that point, it was burtal and took me 23 minutes to ride 3.4 miles

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training

Event comments:

Very well run. It was a little inconvinent to have the campbground a few miles from the start/finish, but with both right on the course it worked out OK.

Last updated: 2008-12-07 12:00 AM
Biking
09:13:37 | 77.55 miles | 8.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/52
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Lap 1: 01:29:30 (race time), 10.2 MPH average (Garmin w/ autopause). 24.2 Max. Rode most of the first lap with Elaine. I passed her when she zigged when she should have zagged, then ripped the downhill. I had my only dab of the entire race when we got balked by someone in the sand, rode the rest of the race clean. Didn't stop at all on the first lap. Lap 2: 1:49:57, 10.6 mph. 24.1 max. I got a flat a few miles into the second lap. So much for the slime tube, all it did was make a slimey mess. Used my windbreaker to wipe out the tire so I could find the torn, it was about time to take it off anyway. Liane passed me while I was fixing the flat. I tried pretty hard to catch her, but didn't. Stopped at the campground to swap bottles, reset my tire pressures (the front was a little high, causing the front to push in corners, and the back was a little low), ate a PB sandwich that Elaine had left me, and topped off the camelbak. Compairing Garmin time to race time, I was stopped for a total of about 21 minutes. But was starting to hurt - I had a fairly new seat on the bike, and I was learning I wasn't getting along with it too well. Lap 3: 2:10:55, 9.7 MPH. 23.4 max. The lap my butt was killing me in the climb to the point it was my limiting factor. This slowed me down quite a bit on the climb. Stopped at camp again for lunch. Had a builer bar, some pickles, pickle juice, and snickers. Changed out my carb bottle and mixed up another to have ready for lap 5. Changed my saddle and threw my old one back on (which is pretty worn out). Spent about 30 minutes off the bike. Lap 4: 1:51:48, 9.6 MPH. 22.7 max The saddle swap helped out a lot, but now the legs were really feeling the climb. On the downhill my feet started hurting. Got back to camp and took off my shoes to massage my feet. Had another sandwich and swapped bottles. Spent about 17 minutes off the bike Lap 5: 1:51:25, 9.0 MPH. 27.3 max. This lap was tough. Pulled off to rest a few times on the climb. Liane passed me on one of those rests. I caught back up to her on the rollers, and passed her on the downhill. Flew on the downhill, but climbing back up to the finish was very slow. Made it through, and made my goal of 5 laps.
Wind: Little
Course: Good course for an endurance race. Started with a long, gradual grind of a climb. Turned on to rolling hills, then a long downhill, with a climb back up to start/finish. There were about a million waterbars to give you a workout down the hills, but nothing very technical. Plenty of passing room.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right