General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New & needing some gear... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-30 12:24 PM

User image

Carmel
Subject: New & needing some gear...

This is a completely naive question...but I have just started training for my first sprint tri and need some help with the type of clothing I should buy.  My confusion lies with wet versus dry or should I buy something that is good for both.  Bike and running shoes are taken care of...it's all the other stuff.

Any suggestions on what I should purchase to start off with?

Drew

2008-12-30 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1877938

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
Subject: RE: New & needing some gear...

For training, I think most of us wear discipline-specific gear for the training we're doing: jammers/swimsuit for swimming, cycling shorts for riding, running shorts for running. For racing, tri shorts are the best way to go - they're compression shorts with a thinner padding that doesn't retain moisture, good for swim/bike/run. You want to avoid (if possible) wearing cycling shorts for the entire race, because once you exit the water, you'll feel like you have a loaded diaper for the remainder of the race 

Some wear tri-shorts for training as well, but chlorine eats them faster and they aren't as padded for really long rides in the saddle.

ETA: a form-fitting, moisture wicking top is essential - keeps you dry and aero - flapping material will slow you down in the water and on the bike.

Edited by sty 2008-12-30 12:33 PM
2008-12-30 12:36 PM
in reply to: #1877951

User image

Carmel

Thanks for the help...I pretty much figured training specific items while training, but was unsure about the actual race.

How do you feel about suits for the entire race?

Drew

2008-12-30 12:55 PM
in reply to: #1877966

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

There are two-piece suits and 1 piece - both have pros and cons. I have both and prefer the 1 pc for racing because I've got a typical middle-aged gut that wants to peek out from under a tight top. Nasty to look at and just as nasty feeling 

One piece are argued to be harder to go to the portapotty in (I don't have a problem with it). Some need different sized tops/bottoms  i.e. medium to, large bottom, so 2-piece separates makes it easier to mix and match.

There are also different zipper lengths (1/4, 1/2, full) and some tops and shorts have small pockkets to stash gels or a car key or a puffer, etc.

It's best to try a few brands/models on in a store because they can fit very differently from one manufacturer to the next.

A cheap way to get a suit is by joining Team Javelin - for a $25 admin fee, you get a "free" Sugoi tri suit (your choice 1 or 2 piece) www.javelintriathlonteam.com  I have 4 of them and they rock.

2008-12-30 2:19 PM
in reply to: #1878010

User image

Carmel

Yeah...I've got a bit of a gut despite the fact that I've lost 55 pounds in the last year.  It sounds like 1 piece is the way to go.

Thanks for the Javelin link...that's probably what I will do and wear it with pride.

Drew

2008-12-30 2:22 PM
in reply to: #1877951

New user
sty - 2008-12-30 10:32 AM

Some wear tri-shorts for training as well, but chlorine eats them faster and they aren't as padded for really long rides in the saddle.

True, but I would recommend wearing your tri shorts for at least one or two training sessions, so that you know that you can survive on the bike with the thinner chamois of the tri shorts, and you know how it feels to run in the tri shorts.  Heck, I'd even recommend swimming in them once or twice, just to make sure you are good with them.

2008-12-31 6:47 AM
in reply to: #1878161

User image

Carmel

I did some more research last night at a local sporting goods store.  I like the fit on the two piece and the tri shorts seem to have sufficient padding for the riding.  I bought a "trial" pair to try them with my bike training today and my swim training tomorrow.  We'll see what happens.  The first sprint tri that I am doing in April does not allow for 1 piece suits.  So, I'm thinking I will try both and see which is best for me.

Thanks - Drew

2008-12-31 10:34 AM
in reply to: #1879279

New user
drew32apk - 2008-12-31 4:47 AM

IThe first sprint tri that I am doing in April does not allow for 1 piece suits. 

Really?  Thats odd.  Which event, I'm curious as to their reasoning.

2008-12-31 12:04 PM
in reply to: #1879715

User image

Carmel

I went back and read the rules...no WETSUITS.  Therefor I am thinking that 1 piece tri suits are acceptable.  If not I will have a two piece that I can wear.

It's a local, hometown sprint tri in Carmel, IN.

Drew

Edited by drew32apk 2008-12-31 12:14 PM
2008-12-31 12:53 PM

User image

Bay Area, CA

Yeah I have never heard of gear restrictions like that, if it's no wetsuits, you can wear pretty much whatever else (speedsuits, trisuits) you like.

Personally, I would recommend not investing too heavily for your first tri, get something fairly basic that you could potentially use for other sports should you end up hating it

2008-12-31 2:45 PM
in reply to: #1879885

New user
drew32apk - 2008-12-31 10:04 AM

I went back and read the rules...no WETSUITS.  Therefor I am thinking that 1 piece tri suits are acceptable.  If not I will have a two piece that I can wear.

It's a local, hometown sprint tri in Carmel, IN.

Drew

Ah ha.  Thats completely different. The no wetsuit rule is most likely because of the water temperature.  I think official USAT rules are no wetsuits above 78 degree water.

2009-01-01 3:53 AM

New user

Armidale, NSW

I, like Drew, have never done a tri, but i have spent the last few weeks whipping my 16 year old ex-swimmer body into shape to give it a go.

This thread answered basically everything i was going to ask. So thank you!

The one question i have is to do with the Team idea. Not wanting to spend too much cash before i try my first tri, i thought the idea of a free suit was great! (well, not free, but you get me)

However, i followed the link to find the team in question is not accepting applications at the moment, and to try again in a few months. Fair enugh. This leaves me to look into a suit probably from the local sports store, or maybe the internet. 

Unless, that is, someone knows of other teams that work in a similar way?

Also, another question. For a beginner, should i worry about getting cycling shoes? Im buying new running shoes as soon as i get myself into town. Surely I can use these for cycling too? at least untill i try out the sport.

Thanks, 

Matt

2009-01-01 11:55 AM

New user

Define suit.  If by suit, you mean wetsuit, you can rent a wetsuit from various different places.  If by suit, you mean a triathlon suit, you don't need one.  In fact, I would guess that most folks in a sprint triathlon don't have a tri suit. 

A tri suit is just a means for make your transisiton between events faster, in that it alows you to wear the same thing running, swimming and biking so that you don't have to change.  You can easily wear some for of swim gear, change in the transition area to your bike gear, and then change again into your run gear.  Sure, it will cost you some time, but are you really trying to win this thing your first go around?

As for cycling shoes, well, yes, if you are a serious cyclist on a road bike, they help, a lot.  But you don't need them, nor do you even need a road bike for you first triathlon.  A mountain bike, a touring bike, or even a beach cruiser will work, especially at the sprint distance.  If you decide you really like this sport, then you can get a road bike, or even a dedicated triathlon bike, complete with clipless pedals and cycling shoes.

2009-01-01 1:51 PM

Expert
Course Info
  • Pool swim with time trial start is perfect for first time triathlon.
  •  

It's a pool swim so there would be ni wet suits allowed..

2009-01-01 9:20 PM
    in reply to: #1881140

New user

Armidale, NSW

Ok, thanks Cael.

When i was first thinking about gear, i was indeed thinking of staying away from expensive tri-suits and gear, however some of the things mentioned in this thread made me think otherwise.

But if i was to swim in my swimming gear and change for my ride, we are talking ALOT of time (and after timing some splits in training, i honestly think i can be competitive, so i want to avoid a long tran.). You see, i dont swim in board-shorts, footy shorts, or even speedos. I have a pair of boardies for the beach, but they wouldnt do. I wear some Speedo Aqua-blades, which are a B**CH to get out of. And i really dont know how they would hold up on the saddle.

So keeping in mind that a tri-suit isnt needed, and i dont want to spend a long time changing would my best bet be getting my hands on some Tri-shorts, swimming in those, then putting a shirt on in T1? Then t2 would just be a case of getting off the bike, taking off my helmet and off i go.

(and you mentioned not needing a road bike. I am going to race on my good-quality hybrid, that i've had for a few years).

Thanks, 

Matt

2009-01-01 10:38 PM

User image

Veteran
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Go on eBay, Hannulink and some other sellers have some pretty good deals and I have bought 2 or 3 suits from Hannulink and haven't spent more than $20 each time. 2 were DeSoto and 1 was a Zoot. Then all you have to do is buy the top, which you can find from him as well. I personally train in my tri suits too as I figure at least I will know what to expect when I race. The DeSoto suits are holding up well and I haven't had a problem in the 3 or 4 months I have been using them, which is better than I can say about my now see-through Tyr Jammers....

As far as the one piece suits, there were a few on eBay right now as well. Or you can peruse the closeout sections of Nytro.com, All3Sports.com, etc., and you should be able to find a decent suit for cheap. Might not be the color combo or brand you want, but it will be in your price range....

2009-01-02 2:02 AM
    in reply to: #1881979

New user

Armidale, NSW

I just realised a major factor that i didnt even mention! I live in Australia.

Im looking through the eBay sellers, but im not sure about sizes. Im a pretty skinny young guy, and I usually fit a S in clothes, and a 30"-32" pair of jeans. Not sure if thats how you Americans measure clothes.. I was thinking a S or XS. 

Also, i found this suit (with a 2-piece option too) http://www.trishopaustralia.com/default.php?HoofdCatID=0069&Sub...

Its about the same price as low end gear on the sites you mentioned, and its an Aussie site.

gosh, i think i highjacked this thread... sorry!

2009-01-02 6:36 AM
    in reply to: #1881894

User image

Elite
    Armpit of Ontario
    matthewryan6 - 2009-01-01 10:20 PM

So keeping in mind that a tri-suit isnt needed, and i dont want to spend a long time changing would my best bet be getting my hands on some Tri-shorts, swimming in those, then putting a shirt on in T1? Then t2 would just be a case of getting off the bike, taking off my helmet and off i go.

Tri shorts are a great idea, but you don't necessarily have to wait until T1 to put a shirt on - helpful advice dictates that putting on a shirt onto a wet torso can be a bi@tch  so one thing you can do is wear a tri top, or other technical fabric, snug-fitting jersey top, for the entire race.

As for sizes, they differ from one manufacturer to the next, but remember that these types of shorts & tops are meant to be worn snugly, like a second skin, and I would say a 30-32" waist would translate to a medium guys short - there's quite a bit of give to the fabric so there's a little room for error. I currently have a 33" waist and wear a large short, but wore size mediums a couple of years ago when I was more a 31-32" waist FWIW.  Most manufacturers will supply a size guide that will translate your waist/hip/chest measurements into what size short or top would fit. What messes me up is buying European jerseys which I find fit completely different and sizes vary more than North American companies.

2009-01-03 12:59 AM
    in reply to: #1882287

New user

Armidale, NSW
    thank you all! i'll be back if i need any more help =)
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New & needing some gear... Rss Feed