General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where do you swim train is South Brevard? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Where do you swim train is South Brevard?
OptionResults
Palm Bay Aquatic Center1 Votes - [14.29%]
Gleason Park Pool2 Votes - [28.57%]
Fee Avenue Pool (seasonal)0 Votes - [0%]
Sherwood Park Pool (seasonal)0 Votes - [0%]
Lipscomb Pool (seasonal)0 Votes - [0%]
YMCA-Wickham Rd1 Votes - [14.29%]
Pro-Health Fitness-Melbourne0 Votes - [0%]
Pro-Health Fitness-Viera0 Votes - [0%]
Your Own Pool1 Votes - [14.29%]
Open Water? Tell me where!1 Votes - [14.29%]
Somewhere else? Tell me where!0 Votes - [0%]
Open water at Wickham Park south lake1 Votes - [14.29%]
This is a multiple choice poll.

2009-01-13 8:21 AM

User image

Melbourne, FL
Subject: Where do you swim train is South Brevard?
I'm located in an area of Melbourne that has few year-round resources nearby for swim training without a costly membership. As an age-grouper, like all you others, my training time is slim and I have to squeeze in most of my training early in the morning, on my lunch break, or late at night when the kids are asleep. Makes it tough to get a swim in. Let me know where you train! Thanks!

2009-01-13 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1904051

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Where do you swim train is South Brevard?

Uh I hit the poll button to soon...

Hey swampliquor,  I swim at the Suntree YMCA (Wickham) as my "home" pool and Cocoa Y pool.  My kids are on the Y swim team so we are often there.  Also swam at the Gleason pool, I've ridden my bike there do a swim then ride into work.   Palm Bay pool, only when were there for a birthday parties!

I also swim at Wickham Park, south lake is better or the two.  Length is ~ 80 yards along the beach and a circle lap is ~250 yards total with normal water levels.  I also swim down in Melbourne Beach at the pier or friends house just south of there.  From Melbo Beach pier (Pineappleman) to the south Manatee no wake sign its a 1/4 mile, to the north sign its 3/8 mile.

Not sure why but I don't OW swim over by the EG library at all (HF swim course area)

I've swam in the ocean along the beaches, it's pretty cool hanging out there past the breakers with the surfers, but current can be a betch at times.

Last year I did a lot of swimming in the 10 yard long pool in my backyard because I lacked motivation on getting out.

FYI, some of us local BT'ers meet for Sat rides, we plan on starting up again in Feb.  We'll do TTs on South Tropical Trail, longer rides from Suntree Revolutions bike shop up to Cocoa on River Rd/Rockledge Dr and others in the area if you're interested in joining us.  We'll also be planning on heading over to Clermont ~ once a month to do some good rides along some of the courses that involve Sugarloaf and other hills, nothing crazy!

2009-01-13 7:02 PM
in reply to: #1904808

Extreme Veteran
Anyone do Masters swimming it the area?

Where is the South Tropical Trail?

Thanks!
2009-01-14 8:17 AM
in reply to: #1905739

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

RBRMIKE - 2009-01-13 8:02 PM Anyone do Masters swimming it the area? Where is the South Tropical Trail? Thanks!

I should do Masters, but I don't!

STT is the road on the very southern tip of Merritt Island.  It's between Indian Harbor Beach and runs up to and past Pineda.  Lightly travelled by cars and is 25-35 speed limt with some speed humps on the southern half.  Most usually only ride up to Pineda and back as the road has no shoulder and traffic increase a lot with a 45 mph speed limt after that. 

A nice loop is SST, Pineda east, to South Patrick Dr south back to the start.  Most people start at Oars and Paddles Park on Banana River Dr that's next to the Marina.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where do you swim train is South Brevard? Rss Feed