General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is crossfit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-14 5:47 AM

Subject: What is crossfit?

Hi

Me and my GF are training for our first sprint tri later in the year. I have seen the term 'crossfit' frequently used on these forums but am not sure what it exactly means. I am used to doing general strength programs (4x6 etc). 

What does a crossfit program entail and how does it differ from a general strength program?

Thanks

2009-01-14 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1906381

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-01-14 6:50 PM

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California
Subject: RE: What is crossfit?

I just joined a small Crossfit gym and although I have only been doing it a month, I can already see a difference.  Hard core Crossfit is pretty intense, but they scale the exercises to match your abilities.  I am a very weak 53 yo woman and I can still do it.  All the videos you see with people doing Crossfit all seem to show 20 something young males.   The videos are really fun to watch, however.  Just search on YouTube. 

I will assume my experience is typical, but I don't know that for sure.  I attended an Introductory class that was free that almost killed me.  I came back for more with four "Foundations Classes" where they run you through all of the nine (I think) basic moves.  That cost me $150.  I now have joined the gym for a monthly fee of $75.  Since it is a small gym, it is like getting personal training several times a week for $75.  Can't promise that anywhere else, but it sure is great for a weakling like me.   It isn't the sort of gym where you show up when you want and do the workout that you want.  You show up when they have scheduled sessions and do the workout they have scheduled for you.  At least at my gym. 

I have been uncertain whether I would survive some of the sessions, but the high I got (after it was clear that I would live and after my shower) might have caused people to think I was either manic or on some controlled substance.  My energy was unbelievable.  It isn't that Crossfit is magic, it isn't.  It is a whole lot like boot camp type programs, but the gig I lucked into is wonderful and the trainers (several are Ironmen and women) are terrific. 

So far I am a believer.

2009-01-14 11:42 PM

Elite
Subject: RE: What is crossfit?

I would refer you to the website:

www.crossfit.com

Lots of explanations there.  In a sentence: It's an eclectic and customizable workout program interested in all around fitness.

bts 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is crossfit? Rss Feed