Other Resources My Cup of Joe » insulating windows, need advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-24 9:55 PM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Subject: insulating windows, need advice
I have really crappy windows in the bedroom of my condo. Cold air is just pouring through them. Plugging up the cracks between the window and frame with putty does only so much. Its the window glass itself that is letting so much cold air transmit into the bedroom. I even installed window insulation kits: the thin plastic sheets that you use a dryer to adhere the plastic to some tape around the frame to create a buffer. Those sorta helped, but the cold air is still blasting through.

And unfortunately I cannot replace the windows, and even if I could it would be really expensive.

I even have thick drapes, but the cold air falls underneath them and into the room. The wall itself surrounding the windows is extremely cold to touch. I sometimes wonder if they even insulated the wall! Basically they installed the cheapest windows when they built this place.

Does anybody have any advice to block the cold air after it transmits through the glass? Are there blinds that I can install that will absorb and block the cold air?

Please help! My heating bill thanks you!

2009-01-25 1:07 AM
in reply to: #1927411

User image

Delaware, OH
Subject: RE: insulating windows, need advice

As someone who has sold window coverings for well...too many years, I would suggest cellular shades.  They will increase the R value of your windows for not a ton of money. 

I have these in my home- while not fashion forward, they work well at keeping the cold winter wind out, and the hot summer sun away.

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=60156&CatID=61475&GrpTyp=STY&ItemID=1555728&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=60156%7c60194%7c60445&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=2&CmCatId=60156|60194|61475

Depending on your window size, you can get them ready made in the store, or you can custom order them to fit your window.  The ones in the store are white or off white and are light filtering.  They are 40% off this week @ JC Penney.

2009-01-25 1:52 AM
in reply to: #1927411

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: RE: insulating windows, need advice
I can't speak to cellular shades, but I do have a cold leaking back door in my house, and I have a curtain with a heavily insulated lining on it, and it makes quite a difference. Probably not as good as getting a new back door, but it's the best I can do for now, and it's a LOT better than nothing.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » insulating windows, need advice Rss Feed