General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cleat position & Numb toes. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-25 9:39 AM

User image

Miami,FL
Subject: Cleat position & Numb toes.

I think that my cleat set up  is not correct and it may be affecting my power output as well as giving me numb toes.......

SO......How do you have your cleats set  up and do you ever get numb toes???

2009-01-25 9:58 AM
in reply to: #1927693

User image

Veteran
Plano, Texas
Subject: RE: Cleat position & Numb toes.
The most common way to determine the placement of cleats is to put your bike shoe on, make a mark on the inside bottom of the sole at the outer most portion of the joint at the base of your big toe, and then make a mark on the outside bottom of the sole at the outer most portion of the joint at the base of your pinky toe. Then draw a line between those two marks and place the center of the cleat on that line.
2009-01-25 10:01 AM
in reply to: #1927716

User image

Miami,FL

ricro - 2009-01-25 10:58 AM The most common way to determine the placement of cleats is to put your bike shoe on, make a mark on the inside bottom of the sole at the outer most portion of the joint at the base of your big toe, and then make a mark on the outside bottom of the sole at the outer most portion of the joint at the base of your pinky toe. Then draw a line between those two marks and place the center of the cleat on that line.

so if im not mistaken what you're saying is to place the cleats right under my toes???

Edited by Yosel88 2009-01-25 10:17 AM
2009-01-25 10:25 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I use the unscientific, trial and error method.  On my first long ride with new shoes/cleats I ride with an allen-wrench and screwdriver in my pocket.  I ride a few miles, stop and adjust and ride some more.  Eventually you find the sweet spot where all is right with the world.  :-)

~Mike

2009-01-25 11:50 AM

User image

SC
I like to make sure my knee is going straight up and down and make adjustments to ensure that happens with as little to no side to side movement. (you may need a wedge to achieve this, I don't use one but I know some people have and like them) I also like the cleat/pedal to be on the ball of my foot and not my toes, but in the end it's all about personal pref. and what works for you. Just don't be afraid to mess around with it some and experiment to find that "sweet spot" just don't leave it alone if it's causing pain or numbness thinking that it's just something you have to deal with or get used to.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cleat position & Numb toes. Rss Feed