General Discussion Triathlon Talk » SheROX Philadelphia Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-08-01 6:59 PM
in reply to: #2321659

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Subject: RE: SheROX Philadelphia Triathlon : Official Thread
margarita - 2009-08-01 7:07 PM
losta - 2009-08-01 4:31 PM  Looks good for the swim tomorrow, I'm so relieved!

please tell me it's not really raining outside oh well. .whatever will be will be

I'm number 1213, wave 10. Anybody in the vicinity?

Never sweat the things you cannot control! Weather is out of your control!!! Just prepare for anything!

Best of luck racers!!!

2009-08-01 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2321710

User image

Veteran
sgillen - 2009-08-01 6:59 PM
Never sweat the things you cannot control! Weather is out of your control!!! Just prepare for anything!

Best of luck racers!!!

Thank you Steve! You are the best!
2009-08-01 9:21 PM
in reply to: #1973920

User image

Regular
PA
Good luck ladies!  I know you will all do well
2009-08-02 5:38 AM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
I woke this AM to Thunder Storms Cry Looks like it might be skirting the area of the race???
2009-08-02 12:44 PM

My first tri was a Duo!

I was 11th wave, 1286.

I had a blast, despite the INSANE rain.  Hard to gauge how my time was until results are posted, but I was very happy with my 59:00 bike time.  I'm not "a biker" and sub 60 mins was my goal.  Now off to find a tri in Aug...
2009-08-02 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2322028

User image

Veteran
sgillen - 2009-08-02 5:38 AM I woke this AM to Thunder Storms Cry Looks like it might be skirting the area of the race???

IT WAS CRAZY!!! The last mile of my 5K I could not see where I was running! But I loved it anyway!

2009-08-02 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2322304

User image

Veteran
lillegs - 2009-08-02 12:44 PM My first tri was a Duo!

I was 11th wave, 1286.

I had a blast, despite the INSANE rain.  Hard to gauge how my time was until results are posted, but I was very happy with my 59:00 bike time.  I'm not "a biker" and sub 60 mins was my goal.  Now off to find a tri in Aug...

I was in the wave right before you! I had a blast too. I am happy I was able to finish the race, I understand they would not let people to start the 5K when the rain really started coming down. What time did you finish? I think it was 2:46 on the clock when I crossed the line and my wave started about 48 minutes after the first wave.. So, I must be around 2 hours somewhere...
2009-08-02 2:41 PM

User image

Expert
Hatboro, PA
This was definitely a crazy day/race!  If anyone noticed the girl near the run #1 start (before you went over the timing mats) holding up wave numbers, well, that was me.  I ended up being assigned as the designated person to assist with those who forgot their timing chips and since only 3 people forgot their timing chips, I got to help Karen Smyers with wave starts.  After that, I ended up helping in the food tent, which is were I was when the storm started.  That was a crazy storm and I can't even imagine being out on the course during all of that lightening and hail.  Eventually, the rains subsided and I decided to head home.  Well, the drive home was another whole story with all the flooded roads.  It took me 3 hours to drive home and I live 35 minutes away!

You girls did great dealing with the horrible weather situation!  I also give it up to the race organization that made sure everything worked.
2009-08-02 2:50 PM

The organizers did awesome and definitely made the right call!  As I was "rowing" my bike out after the race, completely sure I was going to get struck by lightning, I looked around the transition area and realized there was such a huge mess.  If I didn't have two little ones and a very patient husband waiting in the van, I would have volunteered to help stay and clean up.

I think my clock time was about 2:36.  (I'm not totally sure because it was torrential and I was just trying to get back to my bike/stuff.  I wasn't prepared for the rain and I just kept thinking about my camera, phone and ipod floating away.... )

My chip time was 1:44.20, and I'm pretty happy about that.  I met my bike and 5K goal and the transitions felt smooth.  Obviously, without the swim it is hard to guage what it would have been like. 

So, am I the only "first timer" who came home and promptly signed up for the Medford, NJ Tri in a few weeks so I can say I did an actual TRI this year?

ETA: Margarita- The 'official' times are up on the SheRox site.  There isn't rankings because it was an incomplete race, but you can see your chip time and splits!

Edited by lillegs 2009-08-02 2:51 PM
2009-08-02 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2322448

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
I just got back home to NY after the Philly SheROX. I got to finish!
I was happy with my bike segment. I didn't like having to run twice but it had to be. I too want to find another Tri to do ASAP a bit closer to my home.
2009-08-02 10:51 PM

User image

West Chester, PA
What a day, my first tri, we du, well actually bi as I was in the buddy and very last wave and was just heading down over the bridge on my last round of the bike leg when the hail started, it was brutal and someone rode by and told us to get off our bikes.  I walked for a little while but decided I just wanted to get back so got back on and carefully rode back to transistion.  I wasn't allowed to finish and I'm so bummed.  My forerunner died on me so I have no idea what my times really were but I felt like I was really cruising.  I wonder if they will give those of us who were not allowed to finish a rain check to use at the NY race?  I'm going to ask.

I'm going to do the Marshman (at Marsh Creek Lake, Chester County) on 9/20 but it's a super sprint.  I'd love to find a full sprint to do so let me know what you all find.

2009-08-03 4:15 AM
in reply to: #2323190

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
PlaywithZoe - 2009-08-02 11:51 PM

I'm going to do the Marshman (at Marsh Creek Lake, Chester County) on 9/20 but it's a super sprint.  I'd love to find a full sprint to do so let me know what you all find.

Try checking out TriFind. Lots of sprint races left in August & Sept. in PA, NJ & DE!
2009-08-03 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
I was in wave 12 and as I was finishing my bike, they were pulling everyone back into transition, even those who had only done one loop.  I was back in transition putting on my running sneakers when they made the official announcement about closing the course.  Right after that, there was a huge lightening bolt that looked like it must have landed within a mile or two of where I was standing in transition.  I looked around the sea of metal bike racks and 1,000+ metal bikes that I was standing in the middle of, grabbed my stuff and boogied out of there as fast as the flow of the crowd would allow! 

Anyway, my 1st run was about the only real portion of the race I had.  Shortly after I got on the bike, it started raining and there were portions where they were slowing us down.  I saw the aftermath of what appeared to be two pretty severe crashes on the bike where paramedics were involved in taking the women off the course, and one other women who had crashed probably just a few minutes before I passed her b/c there was a woman who was alerting the paramedics as I was entering that loop, but she seemed relatively okay.

I was checking the riverwatch site yesterday out of curiosity, it went from about 1,800 cfs flow and 80 degrees on Saturday night to over 25,000 cfs and down to 73 degrees after that storm!

I can't help but think, though, that if they had just made the call on the swim at 6 a.m. as was scheduled, we would have started on time and most of us would have had the chance to finish.  My husband said he checked the radar on weather.com before leaving the house a little before 9 a.m., and he could clearly see that something severe was headed towards the race.  The organizers must have also been able to see that coming, as the annoucer was saying that they were talking to a local news station for a more accurate weather report! 
2009-08-03 10:54 PM
in reply to: #2323754

User image

West Chester, PA
I know, I really don't understand why they didn't they call the swim off earlier so we could start on time, it was so obvious from early early that morning that it wasn't going to be safe.  I was in the 16th wave (Buddy) and was just finishing up the bike leg when they called the race off.  If they had started on time I would have finished.
2009-08-04 7:22 AM

I agree that the race should have started sooner.  It was clear we would be unable to swim. I was only able to do the first run and one bike loop.  I was in the last wave.
2009-08-04 11:14 AM

I was also in the last wave on Sunday and was told to turn around 10 miles into my bike portion. i was dodging lightning and was terrified (not a fan of lightning).  It was very scary that they let us ride for as long as they did.  But I wasn't stopping unless they forced me to!  I was very disappointed and once I got back to Transition the hurricane rains and lightning picked up.  Craziest experience ever.  I also agree that they could have avoided a lot of heartache if they had just made the call earlier about the swim.  But I think they were in a terrible situation and handled it the best they could.  I'm glad they decided to end it, a lot of people could have gotten seriously injured.   I'm anxious to do another Tri- thinking about the Trimax Blue Marsh Triathlon on September 20th in Bernville.  Anyone doing that?  It's .6m swim, 14m bike, 3.5m run.  May have to do it solo since my Tri partners bailed after Sunday, so i'd love a partner!

2009-08-04 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2326904

User image

Veteran
girlkordic - 2009-08-04 11:14 AM I was also in the last wave on Sunday and was told to turn around 10 miles into my bike portion. i was dodging lightning and was terrified (not a fan of lightning).  It was very scary that they let us ride for as long as they did.  But I wasn't stopping unless they forced me to!  I was very disappointed and once I got back to Transition the hurricane rains and lightning picked up.  Craziest experience ever.  I also agree that they could have avoided a lot of heartache if they had just made the call earlier about the swim.  But I think they were in a terrible situation and handled it the best they could.  I'm glad they decided to end it, a lot of people could have gotten seriously injured.   I'm anxious to do another Tri- thinking about the Trimax Blue Marsh Triathlon on September 20th in Bernville.  Anyone doing that?  It's .6m swim, 14m bike, 3.5m run.  May have to do it solo since my Tri partners bailed after Sunday, so i'd love a partner!

Hmm, I might be interested in that one.  It is far from me, but only about 20 minutes from my dad's house.  Thanks for posting it!
2009-08-05 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2326904

User image

West Chester, PA
I do think the SheRox folks handled the situation as best they could, I know I really wanted to swim and they didn't want to disappoint us so I think they were holding out hoping that the debris would go away.

My friend and I who didn't get to finish SheRox signed up for another Sprint at Lums Pond in Delaware on Sundaay 8/16 which is .5 swim, 19.5 ride, and 3 mile run.  Check it out at http://www.piranha-sports.com/Race47.aspx

Following that we are going to do the Marshman at Marsh Creek Lake in Downingtown on Sunday Sept 20th, it's a super sprint; 1/4 Mile Swim~12.5 Mile Bike~2 Mile Run.
http://www.piranha-sports.com/Race49.aspx

And finally I'll probably do the Cape Henlopen Sprint Tri in Lewes DE on Sunday Oct 11th; 1/4 Mile Swim~14 Mile Bike~3.1 Mile Run.  http://www.piranha-sports.com/Race50.aspx  This will be my A race of the Season.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » SheROX Philadelphia Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2