General Discussion Triathlon Talk » need a bike, shopping locally, and clueless! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-21 10:53 AM

New user
Subject: need a bike, shopping locally, and clueless!

I've decided on an entry level road bike and a shop 10 minutes from my house has an '09 for $920. The guy at the shop was awesome and so far all my knowledge of bicycles comes from his time and patience. A shop a few towns away has an '08 on their website for $740 and I like the color better. This savings is significant for me. But, the '08 has no pedals, the $920 bike has basic pedals on it.

3 questions:

Do I pay the $920 because I like the guy, will go there if I need anything else, and should support his shop?

Or do I drive 45 minutes away to save a few bucks?

Will the cost of the pedals up me to the $920 price anyway?

As it is, I wouldn't be upgrading to clipless pedals and shoes anytime soon. I figure I'll do my sprint in my running shoes since the last bike I rode was the kind where you pedal backward to stop... so any time I save with nice shoes and pedals will be lost with me tying my shoes on transitions - or worse picking myself off the pavement when I fall over because I don't know how to put my foot down.

Any advice is appreciated - thanks in advance!

2009-02-21 11:11 AM
in reply to: #1974657

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Subject: RE: need a bike, shopping locally, and clueless!

*laughing*  Excellent visual!

Congrats on the new bike that's in your future.

Honestly if it was me - I'd buy the one I liked the look of better. I'm shallow - and all my stuff matches - so take that for what it's worth...

You're going to support the LBS anyway - you're going to need stuff ... tubes, tires, tune-ups, repairs, etc. 

You need to ride them both to see how you feel - I can't imagine buying a bike without riding it.

You can get pedals that cost 50$ and pedals that are several hundred dollars.  All what you're looking at spending...

2009-02-21 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1974657

New user
Subject: RE: need a bike, shopping locally, and clueless!

thanks, I rode the '09, so I figure the '08 of the same bike can't be that different. I'll test it out first. The only other low-end model I tried I didn't like as much. I'll have to call to be sure they have it in stock before I drive over there anyway. My friend recommended this shop over the one closer to me, she just told me it should come with basic pedals... i'll see.

Do you get fitted right then and there and you're good to go? Or do people generally have some adjustments done over time? I figure for the $200 I save I can buy a trainer too.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » need a bike, shopping locally, and clueless! Rss Feed