General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the deal??! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-11 12:49 AM

User image

Veteran
New Orleans, LA / Lafayette, LA
Subject: What is the deal??!
I am in a tizzy at the moment about calories for today. I only counted 1025 total for everything I ate today, which would mean that after burning 200 on the ellipses machine and about 200 swimming, I would only be functioning on a little over 600 calories for the day! That is SO not possible! If I eat normally and my calories only come out to that, I should be anorexic looking! Does anyone have any advice about counting calories, etc? I'm worried that I could be forgetting something very important and eating a ton more than I think I am, which would explain a static weight situation. Ahhhh.....frustration, thy name is WEIGHT LOSS!

Please help!
~Dorian

P.S. On the bright side, I did manage to swim 500 meters today with littel rest in between---it was quite difficult, and I couldn't do the whole thing in freestyle, of course, but I was happy woth myself--for once. ha!

2004-03-11 3:27 AM
in reply to: #11831

Veteran
budapest, hungary.
Subject: RE: What is the deal??!
hi .
the burn on 1kg fat you need to "spend" 7000kcal. so i don't think you can become an anorexian that quick.
another thing is that it is important to know from which source did your cal came from.
with any protein you eat ,25% of it's cal value are lost in the digestion process (due to the fact it contains nitrogen).
another important factor here is your basal metabolic rate. some people has higher metabolic rate (when resting) then other people. so you may have a low BMR and that means that when rested you are not burning that much cal.
there are so many factors ,so i think that exact counting of cal can not explain every thing about gaining or loosin weight.
you have to know aprox.. how much cal did you take tpday and how much you spent ,just so you will to which side the wind is blowing. i think that only after some period (2 weeks) when comparing your diet with your training you can understand your metabolism and just how much food is good for you (for keeping, gaining or loosing weight).
2004-03-11 7:54 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
yes, I have advice about counting calories.  DON'T DO IT!   It will only make you crazy, as evidenced by your post    While the basic rule of "calories in - calories out = weight loss" is probably true, the chances of being accurate in counting intake and expenditure is slim to none.  Then there is the individual metabolism, the great unknown in the equation.  so anyhow, that's my reason for not counting anymore, ever.
2004-03-11 8:29 AM

Champion
And there are good and bad calories as well (duh!). Don't be misled thinking that minimal caloric intake will help you lose more quickly. You need energy to replenish your body and to rebuild muscle tissue after exercise, or else your body will tear down other muscle tissue for replacement to the affected areas. Eat at least 5 small meals per day, equally spaced, with a good balance of carbs and protein. Snack on fruits and things instead of junk carbohydrates with simple sugars in them that only serve to raise your insulin levels and actually make you feel more hungry. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.

Max
2004-03-11 9:16 AM

New user

Kansas City
I agree with Max, smaller meal spaced thought the day will help kick up your metabolism. Faster metabolism means more calories used up. Just takes time, good luck.

Michael
2004-03-11 10:30 AM

User image

Elite

Hey Oh Excited One,

I do enjoy someone with enthusiam.  I can practically see you saying it.  Let me just say though that if you stay at 1000 calories intake and the exercise level that you are reporting, you will become anorexic.  Actually, what will happen is that you will get ravenous....about like now.  And, you will begin to crave all the bad carbs Max is talking about that are not so good for you and you will have a 3000 calorie day.  So, the secret is to maintain a small, consistent deficit in calories, like maybe 200 to 300 calories to the good just about every day.  Most people benefit from a cheat day every now and then but be honest with yourself.

Keep posting.  I love to read'em.

TW

2004-03-11 9:47 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Roscoe, IL.
Do your own research before considering the following;
If we consistantly eat a low cal. nutrition plan or body gets used to it. If we take one day a week and overfeed, we tell our body we are not starving. After a day of overfeeding (by a few hundred good calories, not chips and candybars) we resume our low cal. routine it might kick in a fire to burn a few extra stubborn pounds. If I can come up with the references of where I read this I'll post the source.
2004-03-12 1:12 AM
in reply to: #11976

User image

Veteran
New Orleans, LA / Lafayette, LA
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I am calm now (whew) concerning my eating status. I'm resolved to simply eat my fill when I'm hungry of the most nutritious foods possible. No junk for me!
~Dorian
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the deal??! Rss Feed