General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help! My achilles Tendon huuuurrrrts! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-12 4:41 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Subject: Help! My achilles Tendon huuuurrrrts!
I noticed it this morning. Right achilles tendon, kinda achy. not painful, but I'm definitely aware of it. I was going to do a 5k trail run tomorrow and that's not gonna happen.

I kinda perused the boards to see if I could pick anything up and there were a couple of mentions.

I'm going to take it easy for a couple days, elevate, ice and ibuprofen but I still want to work out.
My questions:
1. Can I still bike?
2. Can I still swim?
3. Anything else I can do to heal it?

It's just an ache right now so I know I haven't done major damage, but I don't want to exacerbate it. I stretch religiously before and after I workout. Should I continue stretching?

Any advice would be appreciated!

n

2004-03-12 4:44 PM
in reply to: #12140

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Subject: RE: Help! My achilles Tendon huuuurrrrts!
Hey!
I just found more info!
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/achilles%20tendonitis.htm

and yestereday on the treadmill I was doing hill training....could have something to do with it.

n

Edited by crpadiem 2004-03-12 4:44 PM
2004-03-12 4:50 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

cut down by about half your volume...2twice a week for now...see if that may help.  make sure u r warmed up before u stretch (light 5min jog)  dont overstretch BEFORE running.  if it does not hurt running, u may be fine with reduced intensity.  i was able to really say goodbye to my achilles tendonitis with some trail runs that were a little hilly BUT that was when my achilles didnt bother me no more on the run...only at work.  check your shoes first too...may need a new pair.  just my own experience with this pesky injury. FOR ME, i did notice that biking irritated the achilles while i was trying to heal it...so i stopped replacing the run with more bike. 

another thought...take 4days off in a row from running...do a light run on the 5th and 7th day of the week...give it some good rest.

2004-03-12 5:01 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
thanks.
I stretch religiously but wonder if I'm doing damage and stretching too much when I'm cold?
I'll keep an eye on the bike and maybe kick up the swimming instead. That needs work.
All great advice...thanks.

n

2004-03-13 6:57 PM
in reply to: #12149

User image

Champion
Gold member

what been working (in cold ohio weather) for me (for now!) is to do a 'baby step' or 'shuffle' run as a warmup for about 2-5minutes.  not fast and about half of the lenght of my normal gait.  then i will do: toe touches, hamstring stretch then calf stretch, 20-30 sec each repeat 3 times.  dont go where it hurts and dont push your limits..i would say its about 75% of your max flexibility.  only go until it JUST STARTS getting tight - never anymore before a run.  i used to go till where i was noticeabley at my limits - thats bad.  that contributed to my tendinitis.  dont stretch immediately after (if at all)...wait till a few hours later.  gallaways book on running has some great stretching tips in it.  i guess the rules emphasized (i may be repeating) is to warmup with a reduced shorter stride and lower pace, then only lightly stretch.  it seems like only lightly stretching will help but stretching near your limits or at the pain level is only setting yourself up for injury.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help! My achilles Tendon huuuurrrrts! Rss Feed