General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 305: Distance on watch versus Distance in SportTracks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-25 7:50 PM

Master
Subject: Garmin 305: Distance on watch versus Distance in SportTracks

I searched around on the web and here on BT. I found a little bit of information. The watch/garmin training center and sport tracks use different algorithms to calculate distance. I went on a short run today and the watch says 3.72 miles but SportTracks says 3.88. In the grand scheme of things, not a big deal. But It's the difference between running just under 8:59min/mile and 9:20something/mile.

Do you guys all count on SportTracks for distance? Did you know they cou;d be different. There was a lengthy thread over at the SportTracks forum a while ago:

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=345

2009-03-26 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2040446

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC
Subject: RE: Garmin 305: Distance on watch versus Distance in SportTracks
I used to use sporttracks and preferred their distance algorithm, but realized life is easier if I say my Garmin is the reference.  Especially when uploading to multiple sites from the watch, having to remember to edit all the distance fields in all the places that data ends up...  I've since stopped using Sporttracks and upload to fewer websites.
2009-03-26 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2040446

User image

Extreme Veteran
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Garmin 305: Distance on watch versus Distance in SportTracks

When I upload my workout to sportracks and it it that different from the garmin number I look at the plotted map and usually there are points that are way off any possible course I could have run.  When I delete said points the milage numbers become much closer.  In other words the garmin algorithum does a pretty good job of discounting the wayward points on the fly for its milage summary, but still stores it in the detailed track that sporttacks uses to calculate distance.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 305: Distance on watch versus Distance in SportTracks Rss Feed