General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Chanoko Half Marathon Trail Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

XTERRA Chanoko Half Marathon Trail Run - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Granite Bay, California
United States
Total Body Fitness
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 19m 4s
Overall Rank = 71/92
Age Group = M 40-49
Age Group Rank = 14/17
Pre-race routine:

The race wasn't until 10am, so I slept in, had my usual bowl of cereal for breakfast and basically took my time.
Event warmup:

Not much. Probably jogged around for about 20 sec. The first 3 miles ended up being my warmup.
Run
  • 2h 19m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

This was only ever meant to be a catered training run for me to prep for Wildflower long course in 5 weeks. I pushed harder than I intended to, though. But what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, right?

I have not been training in these kind of hills, so that part was tough. Being off-road also made it tougher becuse the ground was mostly uneven. Doing it the day after bike commuting to work almost 50 miles round-trip made it tougher. But other than not coming in last, I didn't have a lot of performance goals for this race.

I'm a good descender, even on foot and off-road, so that part helped me. I passed a handful of people who stayed passed, and one woman who ended up being tougher than me and passing me back up who I could never catch. Another guy I was leapfrogging with because he was a better climber than me and I was a better descender than him, I eventually passed him and came in a few minutes ahead of him. Seems that no matter how slow you are, there is always competitive drama to find.

The first few miles really sucked. Maybe because of the previous day's workout, or because I didn't warm up, or whatever. But about mile 4 or 5, I started feeling good and passed a few people. I kept that good feeling through most of the rest of the run.

At mile 11, after finally making it up the terrible climb, I was pretty broken, but powered through to the end. I was surprised I didn't get passed back up, but no one passed me since about 1/2 mile before that climb.

At that point the field had thinned out quite a bit so I crossed the finish line alone, which was nice because the announcer had time to catch my number and say my name over the loudspeaker. That's always nice.

I carried one 24oz bottle, with 1 1/2 scoops of Cyto, to start with. I drank it in about 1 hr, then had the volunteers fill it with water. I had 2 gels for the rest of the run. I probably could have done with more fluid and energy. One thing I learned about my gels is that they are very thick compared to some other brands (I had a different brand from the course), which makes them very difficult to take while running. I should probably switch to a runnier brand... for running... huh-huh, get it?
What would you do differently?:

If I was going to be more competitive at this race, I would have to do more hill training, preferably off-road. These trails are actually not that far from my house, so as long as I didn't get lost out there, I could do them myself.

My nutrition was a little better than the 1/2 mary 2 weeks ago, but still needs to be dialed in. I should have drank the bottle of Cyto faster, and if so, should have put less drink mix into it (like, 1 heaping scoop). Then I should have had a gel every 30 minutes or less. So that's probably 8oz of fluid every 15 minutes at this temperature.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down and had a drink, got some of the mediocre food and ate, chatted a little bit with a couple guys I knew, drank some more, then changed my clothes and did some stretching before heading home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of hill and off-road training. Overweight. Average genes.

Event comments:

The course is fantastic. Very challenging and beautiful. You must train hills, preferrably off-road, to do well at this race. The volunteers were great, and the aid stations were plenty. For the most part, the course was marked well. But TBF is TBF. I'm not a big fan. The food was pretty bad, at least by the time I got there and there was no energy drink at the end (sorry, vitamin water doesn't cut it). But if you don't mind racing with TBF, this is a great race to do, and a great prep race for Wildflower long course (that's my plan, anyway).

Last updated: 2009-02-28 12:00 AM
Running
02:19:04 | 13.1 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/17
Overall: 71/92
Performance: Average
Course: (My Garmin says the course was under 12.7.) The course was beautiful, but very challenging. Gorgeous views of Folsom Lake. There was a serious amount of hills (well over 1600' of climbing but seemed like more), and a couple of sections where I could not run because it was so steep -- even dangerously so. Mostly packed dirt single track, but a little bit on the road, a little bit in sand, and some sandstone as we went around one beachhead. Mile 11 had a particularly nasty hill. Probably the steepest and longest of the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-03-29 7:23 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: XTERRA Chanoko Half Marathon Trail Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Chanoko Half Marathon Trail Run Rss Feed