General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My journey to lose 100lbs BEGINS today... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-05-04 11:30 PM
in reply to: #3482727

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
Subject: RE: My journey to lose 100lbs BEGINS today...
pipsyboy - 2011-05-05 11:37 AM

What say we both aim for Luke Harrop next year and we both have no option but to sign up as AG.............

Sounds like a plan, mate.

2011-05-04 11:32 PM
in reply to: #3481490

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

annie - 2011-05-05 12:51 AM I felt like crap yesterday so my planned long bike ride kinda slid down the drain.  At last I got off the couch and went to the gym.  Sometimes gyms provide a bit extra motivation.  It felt a little silly as the snow had finally melted enough to ride a bike.  Anyhow I got in a good workout and felt much better.

Gus keep the faith.  Too bad there are no statistics to measure the will to keep going when the going doesn't seem to be headed anywhere. 

I'll say....

2011-05-05 4:59 PM
in reply to: #3482923

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Redlands, QLD, Australia
Iron_Gus - 2011-05-05 2:30 PM

What say we both aim for Luke Harrop next year and we both have no option but to sign up as AG.............

Ok...........no messing about............

Friday 6th May 2011...............233lbs

Goal weight for Luke Harrop Triathlon April/May 2012.....198lbs. (89.99kilo's)

Age group here we come.....

Ps. I'm not one for weighing in every day, or even every week for that matter. I find the fluctuations very annoying and deflating so may just update my weight every 3 months or so. I'm actually going to try to be at least in the 90kg clyde group by the first tri of next season in about 5 months.

2011-05-05 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3484362

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
pipsyboy - 2011-05-06 7:59 AM
Iron_Gus - 2011-05-05 2:30 PM

Ok...........no messing about............

Friday 6th May 2011...............233lbs

Goal weight for Luke Harrop Triathlon April/May 2012.....198lbs. (89.99kilo's)

Age group here we come.....

Ps. I'm not one for weighing in every day, or even every week for that matter. I find the fluctuations very annoying and deflating so may just update my weight every 3 months or so. I'm actually going to try to be at least in the 90kg clyde group by the first tri of next season in about 5 months.

Ok, deal. AG racing at 198lbs in May next year.... see you there mate.

2011-05-06 7:27 AM
in reply to: #2050196

User image

On your right

I'm in at 188 if you two boys will pay for me to get there.

Oh, and I'll raise the stakes and say I'll be the first of us out of the water.

AND that I can eat the most post-race cookies. 

2011-05-08 7:03 PM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

After a couple of crazy weeks I am back to logging my calorie intake and I can report in this week with some charts.

It is no coincidence that the week I am back reporting with hard data (charts) I can also report a loss in weight. It is very obvious to me that I cannot rely on my own assessment to determine calorie intake. I need to measure and monitor - strictly and I expect that this will need to be a life-long strategy.

This week I am down 3lbs to 256lbs overall. I am still up 1lb from three weeks ago and that is a little disappointing as I am now behind my target weight but the loss is pleasing and I hope that it continues.

I missed yesterday's scheduled long run which was disappointing as I am allowing that to happen a little too frequently. I needed to make up for it this morning but when I woke up it was pouring with rain (again) and I bailed out. I will need to do it tonight irrespective of the weather conditions. This throws my schedule out for the whole week now so I will need to juggle a few things to ensure I get the planned mileage in with the appropriate rest days in between.

Until next time....

2011-05-08 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3488200

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iron_Gus - 2011-05-09 10:03 AM

It is no coincidence that the week I am back reporting with hard data (charts) I can also report a loss in weight. It is very obvious to me that I cannot rely on my own assessment to determine calorie intake. I need to measure and monitor - strictly and I expect that this will need to be a life-long strategy.

This week I am down 3lbs to 256lbs overall. I am still up 1lb from three weeks ago and that is a little disappointing as I am now behind my target weight but the loss is pleasing and I hope that it continues.

I missed yesterday's scheduled long run which was disappointing as I am allowing that to happen a little too frequently. I needed to make up for it this morning but when I woke up it was pouring with rain (again) and I bailed out. I will need to do it tonight irrespective of the weather conditions. This throws my schedule out for the whole week now so I will need to juggle a few things to ensure I get the planned mileage in with the appropriate rest days in between.

Until next time....

I think it will be a life-long thing with me too. Without monitoring it is easy to be 5-600 over without noticing. Glass of juice here, handfull of grapes there. And portion sizes too would account for some of that.

I ran in the rain this morning, but I love it as it keeps me cool. After about the first 5 minutes it's most welcome, and I even get pi$$ed off when it stops.

Anyway mate, 3 down is 3 in the right direction. Keep it up.

Edited by pipsyboy 2011-05-08 8:19 PM
2011-05-09 9:42 AM

Extreme Veteran
A'ali, Bahrain
My day fell apart yesterday so didn't get a in my planned run.  I'm extra determined to get on a bike today!  So once I click submit on this I'm putting on the exercise clothes and headed out for a bike/run.

Here's to re-dedication and never giving up the fight!

Go, go, go all!
2011-05-10 4:26 AM
in reply to: #3488314

User image

Extreme Veteran
pipsyboy - 2011-05-09 11:18 AM
Iron_Gus - 2011-05-09 10:03 AM

Until next time....

I think it will be a life-long thing with me too. Without monitoring it is easy to be 5-600 over without noticing. Glass of juice here, handfull of grapes there. And portion sizes too would account for some of that.

I ran in the rain this morning, but I love it as it keeps me cool. After about the first 5 minutes it's most welcome, and I even get pi$$ed off when it stops.

Anyway mate, 3 down is 3 in the right direction. Keep it up.

By the way, I was just tryign to show myself in a good light there.

What I really meant was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich followed by half a packet of Tim Tams  here and 10 pints of Guinness there.

(Note: Red font deliberately not used)

2011-05-10 10:26 AM

User image

On your right
What are Tim Tams?  They sound tasty.  Not so tasty as Guinness, but then again, what is?  Well, I guess a Guinness float is equally as yummy, assuming that you don't mind some vanilla ice cream in your mug of Guinness.
2011-05-10 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3491382

User image

Extreme Veteran

Chaderbox - 2011-05-11 1:26 AM What are Tim Tams?  They sound tasty.  Not so tasty as Guinness, but then again, what is?  Well, I guess a Guinness float is equally as yummy, assuming that you don't mind some vanilla ice cream in your mug of Guinness.

A Tim Tam is a chocolate bikkie. See  http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com/2004/10/how-to-eat-tim-tam.html for directions on how to have a Tim Tam orgasm.

Also, the only thing to put in a pint of Guinness is a Tia Maria.

Mmmmmmmmm I could just have one now.....and it's 4.45am......

2011-05-11 8:10 AM

User image

On your right

Tia Maria...seriously...I'm sad for you.

A Guinness Float is the perfect summer cool down drink.  Also, good for breakfast if you use coffee ice cream. 

2011-05-15 1:32 AM
in reply to: #3493071

User image

Extreme Veteran

Gus has ben MIA for almost a week now.

Hope he hasn't fallen off the wagon...........

2011-05-15 4:41 AM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

Haven't fallen off the wagon Pipsy. I was sick this week and missed all my workouts. Got back on track on Friday and went for my usual ride with the guys. Saturday was another standard bunch ride. Today I was scheduled for a long run (12km) and was a little nervous with how I would go, considering I have run for almost a week. I actually had a really good run. It was a little slower than usual but I felt really good. I think the week off was beneficial.

I haven't hit the scales for a while and I am a little nervous about tomorrow's weigh-in. I will let you all know how I go....

2011-05-15 3:29 PM

User image

On your right
Don't be nervous man.  Just worry about what you can control.  Weight is something you can influence, but not something you can control.  So turning yourself inside out each week will just end up being more of a hassle.  If you have that much nervous energy, get another workout in. 
2011-05-15 6:38 PM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

Back into the swing...

As I posted yesterday, I have been ill this last week and as a result I missed almost all my scheduled workouts. I was quite worried about what that would do not only to my weight but also to my fitness level and stamina.

Well the weigt result is a swing in the wrong direction this week, up 3lbs to 259lbs. But it appears that I haven't been too adversely affected in the fitness department. The week 'off' may have actually helped my cause somewhat.

I got back on the bike on Friday and met up with the bunch to do the regular Friday ride. I dropped off a little short and rode home solo but felt really good. Saturday was my now usual bunch ride with the newbs. It involves a long, slow spin-fest for me. It always feels good to get so many km's in and still feel good after the ride.

Yesterday was the real winner for me. I was scheduled to do an 11km run as part of my Half Mary Training and I was a little nervous getting out there. It turns out I had a really good run and managed to do 12.5km. I went out a little slower than I usually run at but I managed a 6min 20sec per km avaerage pace for the duration. Quite pleasing all things considered.

The Charts:

Overall calorie intake is a little high and I now need to bring that down. I also need to start limiting Fat and increasing Protein.

Although I am now well above my target weight for the month I am not too disappointed given the last few weeks. It was probably unrealistic to expect to maintain a consistent weight-loss over so many weeks and it was inevitable that a plteau was encountered.

The pleasing thing is that I appear to have lost no real condition on the bike or the run. This is motivating and I am confident that I can pick up from where I left off and continue to lose weight.

2011-05-16 8:00 AM

User image

On your right
While the weight may be up, the time off seems to have recharged your legs and you were fresh for some good workouts.  Keep it up Gus.
2011-05-18 9:34 AM

Extreme Veteran
A'ali, Bahrain
Only did back yoga yesterday but I did buy some good running shoes.  First time in about 3 years that I can run.  I'm off to bike to a dirt road and try out the new running shoes out.

Keep at it all!
2011-05-19 6:45 PM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

It's been a funny ol' week for me. After last week's illness and enforced rest I was keen to get back into the swing and log some decent miles - both bike and run.

It hasn't happened. I have been really busy this week, which I hate using as an excuse. I have been doign a little more than usual in my side-line work after hours which has meant late nights and it has also made getting up early in the morning for training that little bit harder.

I did manage to get a 7km run in on Wednesday night and I felt really good. I managed to average 6min/km for the duration and finished strongly. Unfortunately that's about all I have amanged to log this week.

I haven't been getting on the scales either, and I think it is because I am scared of what they will say. I have 'felt thinner' and I have been very careful with my diet. I guess I will see what has happened at Monday's weigh-in.

I am looking forward to a good long ride tomorrow and another long run on Sunday. I hope that the scales are king come Monday....

2011-05-21 4:13 PM

Extreme Veteran
A'ali, Bahrain
In preparation for the event Ride for the Pass, I took a day off and carbo crammed (Are athletes still supposed to do this or am I stuck in the eighties on this one?); however the event was canceled for extreme weather.  So I went for the longest run I've done in a long time.  Knees hurt but other than that I felt good.

I'm still pondering the idea of a will power point system.  The system would award more points for exercising under adverse conditions either physical, emotional, or weather related.

Gus, are you still there?  We have a nut case here in the US who has predicted that rapture will happen today.  It is supposed to start first in Australia.

Just a heads up for you Aussies.
2011-05-21 8:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Gus, one question for you:

How are determining your calories burned?

2011-05-23 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3511759

User image

On your right

dixrp - 2011-05-21 9:18 PM Gus, one question for you: How are determining your calories burned?

He blows himself up with a bomb calorimeter before and after exercise. 

2011-05-23 6:32 PM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

I was away yesterday (unpacking from the Rapture preparations Wink) so I didn't get to post.

Results are not good this week. I'm afraid; And I know why. The comlpete opposite to the Eat less Move more philosophy. I missed Friday's bunch ride and only did 60km of the usual 85km on Saturday's bunch ride. Sunday's long run was a bust with me suffering some shin soreness. I pulled up after 5km of a scheduled 12km run.

That in itself is not too bad but I have been eating too much.

My motiavtion is way down and I am struggling to get up each morning to train. Being deep into Autumn and heading quickly into Winter I can't see and change in condition either.

I am up another 4lbs this week bringing me to 263lbs, which is very deflating and not helping my mental state.

I need a good kick in the butt.....

2011-05-23 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3511759

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

dixrp - 2011-05-22 11:18 AM Gus, one question for you: How are determining your calories burned?

Long story...

Over the months I have measured and plotted my caloric intake by measuring and weighing all that I consume. I chart this in a software package I have. I plot the exercise that I do as well. This software package then gives me an indication of what I would lose over the month (averaged). From that I have determined how many calories per minute that I burn with each exercise type. The software package allows me to set up custom exercises and 'burn rates'. I plot my exercise based on these and not the standard rates included - some of them seem way too high.

This method has served me reasonably well however it may be time to re-evaulate as I am now as light as I have been in a long time and that may mean that I am burning less than I thought.

2011-05-23 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3514711

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iron_Gus - 2011-05-24 9:32 AM

I was away yesterday (unpacking from the Rapture preparations Wink) so I didn't get to post.

Results are not good this week. I'm afraid; And I know why. The comlpete opposite to the Eat less Move more philosophy. I missed Friday's bunch ride and only did 60km of the usual 85km on Saturday's bunch ride. Sunday's long run was a bust with me suffering some shin soreness. I pulled up after 5km of a scheduled 12km run.

That in itself is not too bad but I have been eating too much.

My motiavtion is way down and I am struggling to get up each morning to train. Being deep into Autumn and heading quickly into Winter I can't see and change in condition either.

I am up another 4lbs this week bringing me to 263lbs, which is very deflating and not helping my mental state.

I need a good kick in the butt.....

My pants are getting looser by the minute up here in Brisbane.

I might have to come down there and stick my size nine right where the sun don't shine.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My journey to lose 100lbs BEGINS today... Rss Feed  

of 22