of 10

2009-04-12 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2077858

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
Subject: RE: Evondo's group - OPEN
evondo - 2009-04-11 10:36 AM

Welcome to the group Sandy! Where did you grow up in FL? I grew up in what used to be a small town outside of Orlando, Oviedo and loved the lakes/weather there.  Houston has near the same weather but nowhere near the same number of nice lakes/beaches!

You excited about your first HIM?!? What training plan are you following? Do you have any particular goals for your upcoming sprint?

swise - 2009-04-10 10:02 PM Would love to fill one of the last three spots!! NAME: swise / Sandy 

I grew up in Orlando until high school - at which point my parents moved to Tavares (Lake County - which is next door to Clermont -- of course they didn't have the triathlon training center there when I was in high school). I loved FL growing up but Georgia is such awesome. We actually have real seasons.

I am really excited / scared about my first IM. I started working with a coach on a static plan - where he sets up my schedule and we email. He is based in Atlanta and the group has training activities here & there that I have also attended. Great people. I used training plans out of books and on-line last year and decided that while things for the sprint and olympic worked fine that way I was nervous about doing that for a half. With my work schedule and two kids I decided that the cost per month was worth not having to stress about whether I am focusing on the right things or wasting my time logging miles w/o acheiving any benefit. I get my workouts via email / training peaks and if I have questions / issues I email. Once a month we have a phone call where we discuss how things are going... Plus - this holds me accountable b/c someone is watching and looking at the information (I use a garmin so you really can't cheat - except in the pool ).

The sprint that I have in two weeks was my first ever triathlon last year. This year I just want to redeem myself. My swim time was like 18 minutes b/c I had a panic attack. I ended up stripping off my wetsuit and giving it to a guy in a canoe - then proceeded to finish on my back b/c couldn't put my face in the water. ANd, this was the first time I ever rode more than 7 miles - I had been on my bike a total of maybe 3 times on the road prior to this. My overall time was approximately 1:40:00. I would love to do 1:25 but thrilled with anything below 1:30.

I would love to take you up on the swim video. I am somewhat of a techno moron. Do people just email you a video image? How long - how much time / how many lengths would we need to record?

2009-04-13 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2079895

User image

Master
Houston
All you need to do is email me the video and I'll take a look.  Generally people send me these videos...

-Camera above water swimming one lap of the pool towards the camera
-Same as above but camera is underwater
-Zoomed out side shot of them swimming by the camera

swise - 2009-04-12 8:31 PM  I would love to take you up on the swim video. I am somewhat of a techno moron. Do people just email you a video image? How long - how much time / how many lengths would we need to record?
2009-04-13 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2079476

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
evondo - 2009-04-12 2:46 PM I can think a few things that could cause you to drift but if you can get someone to video you and send it to me I could be of more help...

Body rotation can cause it if you're rotating more one direction than the other.  It could be pull related too if either arm is pulling more efficiently than the other or one of your arms could be crossing over your center line when you're rotating which is pretty common. Breathing could also cause it if you're pausing longer on one side more than the other, only reason I mention this is you said bilateral breathing helped so it's possible you're not fully comfortable breathing on both sides yet?

I'll happily look at anyone's swim videos if you send them to me.  I do have an underwater camera that I pass around to the athletes I coach and if/when it frees up I can try to pass it around this group if people are interested.

junthank - 2009-04-12 10:24 AM Eric & The Team,

I'm relatively new to TRI'ing and have found that swimming is my greatest limiter.  Although growing up I knew how to swim I was never on a swim team or participated in any organized swim activity.  So the 1st time I got in the pool to start training for TRI'ing I was shocked at how bad I was (endurance, etc...).  After 6 months of training I have finally gotten to the point where I can "relax" in the pool.  Learning how to swim biliterally (3-stroke breathing) helped a great deal.  However, I still have a problem of drifting to the left a bit.  This becomes really apparent when I get tired.  It looks like we have a number of experienced and talented swimmers in the group and was hoping that you might have some tips for me on the left drift issue?

Jeff  

It has taken me some time to get use to bilateral swimming.  I have made a lot of progress with it - that's how I do all my workouts unless I'm trying to "go fast".  I will say that I do have an off side (left).  I do feel more comfortable breathing right.  But I'm much better than two months ago. 

Regarding crossing my center line - someone else made this suggestion and I have made an effort to monitor this.  I have mainly paid most attention to my arm entry in the water during the stroke with regard to the centerline.  Should I also focus on not crossing the centerline during the pull?  Like I said, I'm so new to all this technique stuff in the water so if the question seems silly - sorry.

On my next outing in the water I'll pay more attention to my body rotation and breathing per your suggestion.  Man I wish I had joined the swim team when I was 9.

Thanks.
2009-04-13 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2069624

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Can I join the group please?

NAME: kate_r/Kate

STORY: I managed to get to my goal weight in 2001 and dreamed of doing a tri but never had the courage to start. I yo-yo'd yet again and then started looking at more running. Someone sent me a copy of slow fat Triathlete and it gave me the courage to give it a go. I've done a 4 supersprints and one sprint (all but the swim bit). This year is my running year I've done 2 adventure races and I'm hoping to attempt a half marathon as well as a couple of Tri's

FAMILY STATUS: I'm due to get married to Al in December this year (eek!) and we have a cat called Tirpitz

CURRENT TRAINING:Currently working on running, it holds me back the most.

2008 RACES: I did 3 tri's: 2 super sprints and a super sprint swim with a sprint distance cycle and run.

2009 RACES: Completed an adventure hill run and an adventure race in March, have a 10k in May, Sprint Tri's in June and July and a half marathon in October.

WEIGHTLOSS: This is a big issue for me. I'd been doing well until I went off the rails after work issues, they decided to sell of the unit I'm part of and I used this as an excuse to binge. So I'm back up to a higher weight that I've been in ages and determined to do something about it.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I'll log and post as often as I can, also ask questions and add in what motivation I can ..... if you'll have me!
2009-04-13 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2081618

User image

Master
Houston
Of course, welcome to the group! Congrats on the engagement!

Those adventure races sound like a lot of fun, I hope to do one some day... What was the break down of the one you did?

Kate_r - 2009-04-13 3:46 PM Can I join the group please? NAME: kate_r/Kate
2009-04-13 7:30 PM
in reply to: #2082042

User image

Master
Houston
I closed our group tonight, please make sure everyone is added to your friends list and check on everyones logs whenever you can.

westerem - Emile
tri_sbr_vb - Steven
BiafraGirl - Ony
junthank - Jeff
microspawn - James
alsi071 - Alex
stephcat - Stephannie
swise - Sandy
Kate_r - Kate

I'm sure some of you joined the group hoping to get some swim questions answered so please ask away. Some of you already have your goals filled out in the training log, if you haven't had a chance to do so please fill it out.  It helps myself and others know more about what you're doing this for The goals should be something achievable, quantifiable and under your control.

Edited by evondo 2009-04-13 7:30 PM

2009-04-13 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2080803

User image

Master
Houston
I believe that you should try to not cross your center line during the pull.  During the catch phrase of the stroke it might feel like you're pulling further over but since your body should also be rotating it makes it so you don't crossover.  I'll report back tomorrow at least to what I do, not saying it's 100% right

junthank - 2009-04-13 10:59 AM

Should I also focus on not crossing the centerline during the pull?  Like I said, I'm so new to all this technique stuff in the water so if the question seems silly - sorry.

On my next outing in the water I'll pay more attention to my body rotation and breathing per your suggestion.  Man I wish I had joined the swim team when I was 9.

Thanks.
2009-04-14 2:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Subject: RE: Evondo's group - CLOSED
The adventure race wasn't as good as the Tri if I'm honest. It was about a 6k run (up steep hill on uneaven, rocky terrain - hence the subsequent falls and bruises). Followed by a 26k mountain bike ride through some very muddy terrain (i.e. most of us at our stage of the group were walking a lot of it) the road sections were fun though and there were some punishing hills. We then Kyacked about 1km and then another 1.5k run followed by silly challenges culmunating in an A frame that we had to scale. I did it as a goup of three and although challanging it was good fun. I do think I prefer triathlons for the personal challenge.

So .... in terms of swimming is there a particular method of training that you subscribe to and if so what and why?
2009-04-14 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2082152

User image

Master
Houston
I paid attention to my stroke this AM and I do not crossover the center line during the pull or ever for that matter.  My pull doesn't even get as close as I was envisioning last night...

evondo - 2009-04-13 8:09 PM I believe that you should try to not cross your center line during the pull.  During the catch phrase of the stroke it might feel like you're pulling further over but since your body should also be rotating it makes it so you don't crossover.  I'll report back tomorrow at least to what I do, not saying it's 100% right
2009-04-14 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2082545

User image

Master
Houston
That sounds like a lot of fun, different kind of fun than a triathlon though

For swimming (all sports for that matter) it really depends on the person... I see from your logs you enjoy scuba diving so I'm assuming you're pretty comfortable in the water, at least more so than most people starting out. Your swim times in races seem to be faster than the average so I'm assuming your stroke is decent.

I will always recommend private swim lessons for anyone >1:45/100 since the biggest speed limiter is probably technique related. I don't think I've ever heard anyone come away from swim lessons saying 'well that was a waste'. Joining a masters swim team is also a good idea if you can.

Besides lessons the next biggest thing I'd recommend is doing sets during the workout, not just swimming straight. Doing sets will keep the workout more interesting, it'll go by faster and you'll focus more on the task at hand.  I've had a few friends use www.swimplan.com to help create workouts and they liked it.  You can also checkout my training log for workouts and just modify the times/distances to match what you need to do. I do use a lot of shorthand in my workouts so if anyone has any questions please let me know.

Finally and most importantly... practice, practice, practice! You will not learn to swim by reading a book or watching a video only by getting in the pool.  I get asked a lot if you should practice first to get better then get swim lessons, do lessons first practice second. Normally ~3 lessons spaced ~1-2weeks apart can do wonders for someone's stroke. If swimming is one of your limiters I recommend at LEAST 3x/wk in the water. Not all of the workouts have to be tough, just doing stroke work will help a lot in the beginning.

Kate_r - 2009-04-14 2:14 AM The adventure race wasn't as good as the Tri if I'm honest. It was about a 6k run (up steep hill on uneaven, rocky terrain - hence the subsequent falls and bruises). Followed by a 26k mountain bike ride through some very muddy terrain (i.e. most of us at our stage of the group were walking a lot of it) the road sections were fun though and there were some punishing hills. We then Kyacked about 1km and then another 1.5k run followed by silly challenges culmunating in an A frame that we had to scale. I did it as a goup of three and although challanging it was good fun. I do think I prefer triathlons for the personal challenge. So .... in terms of swimming is there a particular method of training that you subscribe to and if so what and why?
2009-04-14 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2082057

User image

Hermosa Beach

hey everyone,

I was curious, are most of you doing free plans here?  or paid?  your own?  or other coaching/plans but hanging out here?

and what do you like/dislike about what you've chosen?

thanks!

Steph

2009-04-14 3:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
taa for the advice. TBH the swim bit is the section I'm most comfortable with but I'd still like to improve my times.

In terms of training I'm following one of the silver programs on here.

I've hit a snag though - I don't seem to be able to edit my logs - I can move copy and delete so I think it's something to do with the view - any ideas on how to change it?
2009-04-14 3:35 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-04-14 5:41 PM
in reply to: #2084224

Master
Houston
They changed up the site today/yesterday I think and now you have to click the 'Training' link on the day and you should be good to go

Kate_r - 2009-04-14 3:32 PM taa  I don't seem to be able to edit my logs - I can move copy and delete so I think it's something to do with the view - any ideas on how to change it?
2009-04-14 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2083758

Master
Houston
The free training plans here are a good place to start as a generic guideline I think but if you want to make the most out of your training hours it'll need to be modified for you.  Now if this is by a coach, friend or yourself is kind of up to you and your goals.

I know people that pay for a coach because they want to be pushed and others because they don't want to hastle with figuring out what to do on a daily basis.  If you're going to try and do this yourself I highly recommend reading Joe Friel's Triathlete Trianing Bible which will explain some training basics.  Your plan should be geared towards your race goals, life schedule and personal limiters none of which a generic guide provides...

All that being said I'm self coached because I learned a lot about training through the various coaches I encountered throughout swimming.  Could I get faster with a good coach? Definitely but I feel the coach I would require would cost more than I'm willing to pay

stephcat - 2009-04-14 1:11 PM

hey everyone,

I was curious, are most of you doing free plans here?  or paid?  your own?  or other coaching/plans but hanging out here?

thanks!

Steph

2009-04-14 6:49 PM
in reply to: #2082712

Expert
Sarasota, FL
evondo - 2009-04-14 8:13 AM I paid attention to my stroke this AM and I do not crossover the center line during the pull or ever for that matter.  My pull doesn't even get as close as I was envisioning last night...

evondo - 2009-04-13 8:09 PM I believe that you should try to not cross your center line during the pull.  During the catch phrase of the stroke it might feel like you're pulling further over but since your body should also be rotating it makes it so you don't crossover.  I'll report back tomorrow at least to what I do, not saying it's 100% right

Thanks Eric.  I appreciate the feedback.  I will do a video at some point in the near future.

2009-04-14 7:06 PM
in reply to: #2084611

Expert
Sarasota, FL
evondo - 2009-04-14 7:00 PM The free training plans here are a good place to start as a generic guideline I think but if you want to make the most out of your training hours it'll need to be modified for you.  Now if this is by a coach, friend or yourself is kind of up to you and your goals.

I know people that pay for a coach because they want to be pushed and others because they don't want to hastle with figuring out what to do on a daily basis.  If you're going to try and do this yourself I highly recommend reading Joe Friel's Triathlete Trianing Bible which will explain some training basics.  Your plan should be geared towards your race goals, life schedule and personal limiters none of which a generic guide provides...

All that being said I'm self coached because I learned a lot about training through the various coaches I encountered throughout swimming.  Could I get faster with a good coach? Definitely but I feel the coach I would require would cost more than I'm willing to pay

hey everyone,

thanks!

Steph

Well stated Eric.  For me the key was developing a training plan that fit my lifestyle.  So critical for consistency.  I have not read Friel's Training Bible - I need to get that.  I did read Gordo Byrn's and Joe Friel's book GOING LONG.  Very well written and informative.
2009-04-14 9:01 PM

New user

Sorry I dropped off for a few days, out saving people from pirates (no I'm not kidding!) Welcome everyone that I didn't personally say Hi too. Lots to catch up on. I am using the "Sprint to Olympic" plan, well I was suppose to start yesterday but now I have to re-adjust my plan already. It's really hard for me to stay on track due to work and I feel like I never have any consistancy.  I need motivation to swim! I know that practice is the only way I am going to get better, both faster and endurance, so I need some help.
2009-04-15 2:13 AM

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
I know just how you feel Steven. This month is relatively quiet for my now my holiday is out of the way but next month I'll be away for half of it and that just wrecks my schedule - especially for swimming.

Have you thought of setting yourself a target so you have more motivation to make time. If work is so hectic you also need to take time to look after yourself to cope with the stress so it's still worth scheduling in the workouts.
2009-04-15 7:11 AM
in reply to: #2084726

Steph,

I concur with what Eric and Jeff have stated in their messages to you.  Its all about balancing the pyramid of cost, time and quality with respect to your goals.  Like Eric, I am, for the most part, self coached, however, instead of paying for a swim coach, I was able to barter with a the life guard in the gym, where I only go to him when I need help with technique, in exchange for helping him with his business plan. 

Unlike Eric this is my first time seriously training, and I spent (and continue to spend) alot  of time researching the sport to find out more information regarding nutrition, injury prevention and technique for the couch potato. So far, I have found that there is no plan that perfectly suits me.  Therefore, I have a customized plan compiled from a host of free information that I have found on the web, personalized for my schedule and my mix of strengths and weaknesses.  I do use beginnertriathelete's 8 month training  and the 3 month beginner swimming, cycling and running programs as my base.
---
BiafraGirl / Ony

junthank - 2009-04-14 8:06 PM
evondo - 2009-04-14 7:00 PM The free training plans here are a good place to start as a generic guideline I think but if you want to make the most out of your training hours it'll need to be modified for you.  Now if this is by a coach, friend or yourself is kind of up to you and your goals.

hey everyone,

thanks!

Steph

Well stated Eric.  For me the key was developing a training plan that fit my lifestyle.  So critical for consistency.  I have not read Friel's Training Bible - I need to get that.  I did read Gordo Byrn's and Joe Friel's book GOING LONG.  Very well written and informative.

Edited by BiafraGirl 2009-04-15 10:31 AM
2009-04-15 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2084966

Master
Houston
It's always hard to get a schedule that works for you especially when you have life/work to consider.  I've found that most people are more consistent in the AM but that's only if they're able to get their bodies used to waking up early, some people are just not morning people. 

Having workouts in the AM makes it so no work or stress related thing can keep you from working out.  It normally takes ~2-4 weeks to adjust to waking up early so if you try it just make sure to give it at least that long before calling it quits.

tri_sbr_vb - 2009-04-14 9:01 PM Sorry I dropped off for a few days, out saving people from pirates (no I'm not kidding!) Welcome everyone that I didn't personally say Hi too. Lots to catch up on. I am using the "Sprint to Olympic" plan, well I was suppose to start yesterday but now I have to re-adjust my plan already. It's really hard for me to stay on track due to work and I feel like I never have any consistancy.  I need motivation to swim! I know that practice is the only way I am going to get better, both faster and endurance, so I need some help.

2009-04-15 12:13 PM

Any thoughts on this (see highlighted) - I pulled it off the internet

Last night, I watched, "The Human Timepiece," on the Science channel. It was a cool show that explored the internal time regulatory mechanisms of the human body and how the human body functions throughout the day. It stepped through the day in 2-3 hour increments talking about why we are tired or alert and how this directly affects both cognitive and physical performance. The internal body clock is a very powerful thing and they are, in fact, finding that it can be exploited to help fight diseases such as Cancer - like I said, very cool stuff.

One of the topics they discussed was physical fitness and specifically, what time of the day was most appropriate for working out. What they recommend is working out in the late afternoon / evening. Not only do they recommend this, they actual discourage the idea of working out in the morning. Apparently, in the morning there are several factors that put you at a greater risk for heart attack and stroke:

• In the morning, your blood pressure takes a significant jump and stays higher before decreasing towards mid day.
  • In the morning, your blood has a higher "stickiness."
  • In the morning, your blood vessels and arteries are less flexible.

These factors combine to raise the risk of heart attack and stroke. Statistically speaking, they said you are about 10 times more likely to have a heart attack before 12PM.

In contrast to the negative risk factors associated with morning workouts, working out in the afternoon / evening generally results in greater performance. In fact, when you look at Olympic events, most world records are beat in the evening.

Obviously, with busy lives, sometimes you just have to fit it in where you can; but, given the choice, all the scientific evidence seems to indicate that working out in the late afternoon / evening is the best choice both for your general health and your sport-specific performance.

2009-04-15 12:42 PM

2009-04-15 12:55 PM

2009-04-15 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2086327

Master
Houston
When your running base is to ~18-20mi/week which it sounds like you are if you're doing 3x1hr/week, I'd recommend you slowly start to add tempo to two of the days with one easier day between doing what you are currently. After adjusting to that for a few weeks, make one of the days with hills (tempo is commonly run on hills).  Be careful not to overdo it because hills will hurt just going through the motions the first few times. When comfortable with a tempo,hill and long run routine you'd progress to a tempo w/hills, speed, and long.

Speed work is generally reserved for when you can complete tempo/long runs without any need for an extended recovery.  It will make you faster but do it to soon and it'll make you injured...

alsi071 - 2009-04-15 12:42 PM

I need some suggestions with organizing my run workouts. Running appears to be the most challenging part of my training (I am slow). I am trying to do 2 to 3 run workouts every week. Based on my research, novice runners should focus on endurance training and  I am at the stage where I can run for an hour at 65-70% HR (never tried to go longer than that). Should I just continue to do the same thing and increase my workouts over 1 hr or I need to incorporate some other types of training (tempo, hills, speed).

Alex

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10