General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sea Sick in the pool Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-14 9:39 PM

Lynchburg, Virginia
Subject: Sea Sick in the pool
As a beginner swimmer I am having a bit of a problem.

During each of my swim sessions I get sick to my stomach....kinda like car sickness (how you feel after you get off a roller coaster). The naseau stays with me throughout the day.

I think it may be due to how I am breathing (or lack of breathing) while I am in the water. Could it be an inner ear issue? I've given it some thought and turning my head to the side over and over and over again would make anyone want to puke. I must be doing it wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2004-03-14 9:55 PM
in reply to: #12391

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Subject: RE: Sea Sick in the pool
Try taking a Dramamine before your swim. It could resolve your inner ear problem. Please take care and read the instructions on the packaging and heed warnings/cautions.
2004-03-15 12:39 AM

Veteran
Northern IL
Is the pool water clean? I use to get ill because the water in the pool had some weird funk to it and I always felt like puking and always ended up with a stuffy pool. When the pool was drained and cleaned the problems went away.

Mike
2004-03-15 6:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Come to think of it, if the pool is highly chlorinated it can cause some level of nausea. As for "funk" in the pool, it has been my experience that it will usually result in diarrhea.

But the described breathing motion is resulting in some dizziness. Gently turn the head to breathe. I have seen beginners struggle to breathe, jerking their head back and forth because they were struggling to get air. I am not saying that is the case, but it is just another idea.

Your next swim, I would try swimming only breast stroke. The breathing involves a mild up and down motion and should not affect your inner ear. If you do not feel ill afterwards, it would eliminate the water/chlorine as a suspect.
2004-03-15 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
I used to get a similar feeling when I got into swimming. The way water distorted the bottom of the pool, looking down and in front to see where you are going, and the turning side to side. I don't know how I got rid of it. Practice practice practice. When I am in the pool, I try to look at one spot on the bottom, to keep my form good, but I think it also helps the sea sick stuff. Try to also breath regularly and spot while breathing. I have read about dancers that will only look at one spot when they spin to keep from getting sick. It is the same idea. Instead of seeing everything moving around as you breath, you see pool bottom and one spot on the wall as you breath then pool bottom. I hope this helps. Open water will bring new challenges for you. Most often you can't see far enough in the water to get sick from things moving, but you do get that wave feeling every know and then.

2004-03-15 12:41 PM

User image

When I first started swimming I swallowed copious amounts of pool water- that can't be healthy- and I often had an upset stomach and diarrhea. Your nausea could be a result of a number of factors- it could be inner ear, you may try some earplugs so see if it relieves the nausea. You may also be swallowing air if your breathing is forced. The combination of air and water might be causing stomach distention which would lead to nausea. Just some factors you could work on to see if it helps.
Good Luck!
Amber Dawn

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sea Sick in the pool Rss Feed