BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-08-13 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2345925

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Subject: RE: KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD

msfugitivehunter - 2009-08-13 9:14 AM
kvesey - 2009-08-11 8:56 AM

So, it appears that the spring mentor program is officially ending. I feel like we just got started, but it's actually been 4 months. My goodness, time flies.

Anyhoo, feel free to keep this thread going. I will definitely continue to pop in so long as you keep posting.

Congrats on all the successful training and racing and good luck with everything down the line!

Will you being doing another group?  If so, can I beg for a spot?

I would really like to do another group if they'll have me.

No need to beg. (It's kinda' cute, though. )

In the meantime, though, I'm happy to keep this thread going.

2009-08-13 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2077050

User image

Veteran
Barrington

Speaking of keeping this thread going.....My weekend is as follows:

This weekend is my "A race".  Although I don't really feel that much more prepared in my mind than my other 2 races.  I know that my mileage has steadily increased, but I've also had random injuries that I've had to tend to more recently.  Guess that goes with the territory, since I'm still learning what my body can handle.

Both of my kids will be doing junior triathlon on Saturday.  I am SO EXCITED for them!!!  We have been practicing transistion and I even bought them some quick laces so they won't have to worry about tying their shoes.  I will be picking up my packet Saturday afternoon and then I'm doing the sprint distance on Sunday while hubby does the duathlon.  This will be the first time that I won't have anyone cheering for me.  (  So I really have to stay focused.

I'm getting psyched for my first Olympic on Sept 12th in Lake Geneva, WI.  From what I hear the course is pretty brutal.  Hills everywhere.

And after that I'm thinking I'll do my first half marathon on th Sept 20th with all my Alpine Runner buddies.

Wow, who would have thought at the beginning of all this I was terrified of spin classes and couldn't even finish 1 mile without walking.

LOVE IT!!!!

Thanks to all of you for joining me on this journey.  I couldn't have done it without you. Laughing

2009-08-13 11:23 PM
in reply to: #2345932

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
kvesey - 2009-08-13 9:16 AM

So, it appears that the spring mentor program is officially ending. I feel like we just got started, but it's actually been 4 months. My goodness, time flies.

Anyhoo, feel free to keep this thread going. I will definitely continue to pop in so long as you keep posting.

Congrats on all the successful training and racing and good luck with everything down the line!

Don't know if I would violate any forum rules but I would like to be able to stay in touch and train together some.  My personal email is msfugitivehunter@ yahoo.com and my cell number is 601-573-8850. 
2009-08-14 7:30 AM

User image

Mars 11, we'll all be cheering for ya! Let us know how it goes, best of luck! 
2009-08-14 7:52 AM
in reply to: #2346909

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mars11 - 2009-08-13 2:34 PM

Speaking of keeping this thread going.....My weekend is as follows:

This weekend is my "A race".  Although I don't really feel that much more prepared in my mind than my other 2 races.  I know that my mileage has steadily increased, but I've also had random injuries that I've had to tend to more recently.  Guess that goes with the territory, since I'm still learning what my body can handle.

Both of my kids will be doing junior triathlon on Saturday.  I am SO EXCITED for them!!!  We have been practicing transistion and I even bought them some quick laces so they won't have to worry about tying their shoes.  I will be picking up my packet Saturday afternoon and then I'm doing the sprint distance on Sunday while hubby does the duathlon.  This will be the first time that I won't have anyone cheering for me.  (  So I really have to stay focused.

I'm getting psyched for my first Olympic on Sept 12th in Lake Geneva, WI.  From what I hear the course is pretty brutal.  Hills everywhere.

And after that I'm thinking I'll do my first half marathon on th Sept 20th with all my Alpine Runner buddies.

Wow, who would have thought at the beginning of all this I was terrified of spin classes and couldn't even finish 1 mile without walking.

LOVE IT!!!!

Thanks to all of you for joining me on this journey.  I couldn't have done it without you. Laughing

Go, Marsha, go!

You will do great. And how incredibly cool that it's a family affair!

2009-08-14 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2347817

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-08-13 11:23 PM

Don't know if I would violate any forum rules but I would like to be able to stay in touch and train together some.  My personal email is msfugitivehunter@ yahoo.com and my cell number is 601-573-8850. 

Rules? There are rules?

(BTW, 4+ hours in the saddle again on Sunday. I am splitting it up into 2 parts, with the first part being a relatively easy ride from Craft Center to River Bend and back [~40 miles] and second half from Craft Center to Clinton rest area and back [~34 miles]. You are welcome to join any part of that. You have my e-mail, already I believe, plus it's on my profile.)

2009-08-15 11:32 PM
in reply to: #2348096

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
kvesey - 2009-08-14 7:56 AM

Rules? There are rules?

(BTW, 4+ hours in the saddle again on Sunday. I am splitting it up into 2 parts, with the first part being a relatively easy ride from Craft Center to River Bend and back [~40 miles] and second half from Craft Center to Clinton rest area and back [~34 miles]. You are welcome to join any part of that. You have my e-mail, already I believe, plus it's on my profile.)

When and where, sorry I am just now reading this.
2009-08-16 6:17 PM
in reply to: #2351151

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-08-15 11:32 PM
kvesey - 2009-08-14 7:56 AM

Rules? There are rules?

When and where, sorry I am just now reading this.

Darn. Sorry I missed you. I was sound asleep when you posted this. I saw that you got out ahead of me. I overslept this morning and didn't get started until 7:20a. It was hot, hot, hot out there!

2009-08-17 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Barrington

Alrighty, we're back from race weekend and the results are in.

The kids did GREAT:
They were both in the 7-10AG
My daughter was 6/39 (and threw-up afterward)    Tongue out

My son was was 9/25

It was so much fun to watch them and cheer them on.   I could hear my daughter saying to herself as I ran along side her for part of the way "I am strong.  I can do this."  LOVE IT  My son sprinted to the finish and everyone turned their heads and cheered him in!!!  Wow, what a weekend. 

I felt like my race was pretty good even though my pace times don't show it.  I placed 6/47 in my AG 107/697 men and women overall.  1:27.50 - slowest time so far Frown

I felt strong throughout the entire race.  The sun was in my eyes coming back on the swim.  My swim split was MUCH slower than the other races, but I still was first in my AG.  So I think everyone was battling the sun and choppy water.  The bike was over before I knew it (for a change).  So I'm thinking that's a good thing.  It was hot and sunny for the run.

I'm just trying to determine how I did at this point.  If I had ideal conditions, I know my times would have been better.  Although I'm not at all tired today (like I was for the other Triathlons).  I felt powerful.  Maybe my mind needs to catch up to my conditioning, so I can push myself harder.  I wanted my bike average MPH to be close to 20, but this course had some rolling hills and my last race was as flat as a pancake.  I was only at 18.2MPH.  It's tough because you can't really compare two races too closely.  Is anyone else challenged with this predicament?

I guess I just need to take it for what it is and start to focus on my final race of the season.  Olympic here I come.

2009-08-23 12:51 PM

User image

Well done to you and your children on your great races!  I wouldnt worry too much about your time,as you said,it was hillier.  Factoring in possible variations in wind etc I really wouldnt worry.  I'd personally be more interested in going back to the last race and beating the tme next year.  This way you will get a true idea of whether it was some kind of issue on your part or whether it was really the course.  From what you say, I'd think it was the course.  Put this race behind you and leave iit for next year and concentrate on something that is similar to the last race you did good at.  Maybe this would give you a better idea of whether it was just the course too.  Then maybe you can start working more hills into your training for the race next year. 

I may be completely wrong (as i've only done one tri so far!) but that is what i'd be thinking of doing. 

Good luck
2009-08-23 6:04 PM
in reply to: #2364965

User image

Veteran
Barrington
aphrodite_225 - 2009-08-23 12:51 PM Well done to you and your children on your great races!  I wouldnt worry too much about your time,as you said,it was hillier.  Factoring in possible variations in wind etc I really wouldnt worry.  I'd personally be more interested in going back to the last race and beating the tme next year.  This way you will get a true idea of whether it was some kind of issue on your part or whether it was really the course.  From what you say, I'd think it was the course.  Put this race behind you and leave iit for next year and concentrate on something that is similar to the last race you did good at.  Maybe this would give you a better idea of whether it was just the course too.  Then maybe you can start working more hills into your training for the race next year. 

I may be completely wrong (as i've only done one tri so far!) but that is what i'd be thinking of doing. 

Good luck

Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm really having a lot of fun training and competing.  My family getting involved is just icing on the cake.

I rode the 26 mile route for my Olympic today.  Those hills are killer.  But I think I'm just going to go out there and rid the course every weekend and get adjusted. 

Haven't seen the run yet, but I hear it is just as bad.  I need to embrace the challenge and push through!!! 

2009-08-25 11:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
I just wanted to say hi to everyone.  I haven't been around for the past week or so.  My father lost his battle with cancer so I have had to put the training on hold for the past few days.  I am back in the saddle, I hope and picking the training back up.  I hope everything is going well with you all.

2009-08-26 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2370871

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Todd,

I am so sorry. Words cannot even begin to convey.

Rest up. Take some time for yourself for a while. Try to find some joy and peace in your training. Know we are rooting for you.

msfugitivehunter - 2009-08-25 11:15 PM I just wanted to say hi to everyone.  I haven't been around for the past week or so.  My father lost his battle with cancer so I have had to put the training on hold for the past few days.  I am back in the saddle, I hope and picking the training back up.  I hope everything is going well with you all.

2009-08-26 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2371254

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Thank you Karen, my training is the only peace I have right now.

kvesey - 2009-08-26 8:45 AM

Todd,

I am so sorry. Words cannot even begin to convey.

Rest up. Take some time for yourself for a while. Try to find some joy and peace in your training. Know we are rooting for you.

msfugitivehunter - 2009-08-25 11:15 PM I just wanted to say hi to everyone.  I haven't been around for the past week or so.  My father lost his battle with cancer so I have had to put the training on hold for the past few days.  I am back in the saddle, I hope and picking the training back up.  I hope everything is going well with you all.

2009-08-26 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2370871

User image

Veteran
Barrington

Todd,

So sorry to hear about your father.  I will be praying for you and your family.

~Marsha
2009-08-28 8:00 AM

User image

My gosh, I'm so sorry I hope you are bearing up under the strain and your training is helping you through.  Thinking of you. 

2009-08-29 11:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Thanks guys, just got to keep moving forward!  Thank you for all the prayers.
2009-10-06 3:19 PM

Hi! anyone there!!!!

I finished my sprint!

It was 2 weeks ago and want to do another one!

I did it in 2hours 13min!

I know I am slow.

Want some encouragement for winter training. Anyone around?

Patricia
2009-10-07 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2445971

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

partieda - 2009-10-06 3:19 PM Hi! anyone there!!!! I finished my sprint! It was 2 weeks ago and want to do another one! I did it in 2hours 13min! I know I am slow. Want some encouragement for winter training. Anyone around? Patricia

Awesome job, Patricia!

I am always training for something. Winter is no different than the rest of the year for me. I don't like breaks very much. So, feel free to post on this thread as much as you want. I think they'll be starting a winter mentor program soon, too.

2009-10-08 8:40 PM

Great Karen! thanks!

I will sign up for one in April, is a bit longer than the one I did. So looking for a good training program. Any ideas?
This are the distances
Swim ½ mile, Bike 19 miles, Run 4 miles

It is kind of in between of the Sprint and the Olympic.

So it is like 24 weeks... have to work in my swimming. I got kind of nervous and did most of it back stroke! The bike, I was very slow and of course the running was super hard.
There were 4 bridges in the bike and 2 in the running!!!

Last Sunday I did a 10K and did it in 1hr 12min!
I am slow, which is fine for me but definitely want to be a bit faster for the next triathlon and not be in the backpackers, which I was and I trained for that since it was my 1st Triathlon.

Anyway Karen, thanks for your encouragement!

Patricia
2009-10-08 8:54 PM
in reply to: #2450824

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

partieda - 2009-10-08 8:40 PM Great Karen! thanks! I will sign up for one in April, is a bit longer than the one I did. So looking for a good training program. Any ideas? This are the distances Swim ½ mile, Bike 19 miles, Run 4 miles It is kind of in between of the Sprint and the Olympic. So it is like 24 weeks... have to work in my swimming. I got kind of nervous and did most of it back stroke! The bike, I was very slow and of course the running was super hard. There were 4 bridges in the bike and 2 in the running!!! Last Sunday I did a 10K and did it in 1hr 12min! I am slow, which is fine for me but definitely want to be a bit faster for the next triathlon and not be in the backpackers, which I was and I trained for that since it was my 1st Triathlon. Anyway Karen, thanks for your encouragement! Patricia

Check out the training plans available here on BT. I bet you can find one that will fit your schedule and goals. It looks like there are quite a few available for free (i.e., you don't need to upgrade to bronze).

2009-11-30 5:49 AM

User image

Hi Karen,

Are you doing a mentor group in december 2009?  I am currently injured with a disc problem but would still like to sign up if possible as i'm hoping i can start working on the swimming aspect soon. 

Thanks
2009-12-02 5:49 PM
in reply to: #2535368

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

aphrodite_225 - 2009-11-30 5:49 AM Hi Karen,

Are you doing a mentor group in december 2009?  I am currently injured with a disc problem but would still like to sign up if possible as i'm hoping i can start working on the swimming aspect soon. 

Thanks

I will...if they'll have me as a mentor again. 

Back problems are no fun. But I'll be focusing on my swim too during the "off" season. As soon as I get this marathon out of the way.

2009-12-03 10:18 AM

User image

Great stuff, thanks, i'm sure they will be more than happy to have you as a mentor again. 

The MRI diagnosed that I have two crumbling disks and muscle atrophy around them, between L4 & L5 and L5 & S1, and the one between L5 & S1 is also badly herniated, so biking and running is totally out of the question unfortunately, as is horseriding (rather frustrating paying for the upkeep of 2 horses and not being able to ride!).  Apparently it has been degenrating for a long time and i have a back 20 years older than i am (28!). Hopefuly it can be sorted but in the meantime, im sure swiming is only a slight bending of the rules of 'total rest!' given by my doctor...can't do any harm,  surely....

when is your marathon?  Im sure you'll do well Laughing
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD Rss Feed  

of 11