General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Organizing an Indoo/Outdoor Sprint. HELP! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-15 12:54 PM

Bartlesville Oklahoma
Subject: Organizing an Indoo/Outdoor Sprint. HELP!
O.K. Never run a tri. Want to. Not one in my immediate area. So, I talked to my local YMCA and wer'e considering having a first (possibly annual) sprint tri here in town. OMYGAWD, I've never organized anything like this before. Anyone out there willing to share your suggestions, calendar of planning events to follow, warnings, price lists, e-mail, etc., etc, with me?

I think the Y might get behind it, even start a "class" that would help people prepare for it...

But I think I volunteered to do most of the footwork and fact finding. Also, if I'm the main one helping get it together, can I still participate in it? I don't expect coming even close to winning-I just want to participate in one!

Thanks in Advance
Michelle

2004-03-15 12:55 PM
in reply to: #12472

Bartlesville Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Organizing an Indoor/Outdoor Sprint. HELP!
INDOOR! I meant INDOOR!!!
2004-03-15 8:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, GA
Subject: RE: Organizing an Indoo/Outdoor Sprint. HELP!
Sorry to see that no one has answered this post. I would like to know more about this myself. I have organized golf tournaments before, but never a triathlon.

Here I go offering advice without any basis for doing it -

1) volunteer at an upcoming event - get cozy with the race director and ask a thousand questions. This doesn't have to be a triathlon - a 5k would be ok for a lot of what you need to know.
2) make sure there is plenty of room for transitions. You say indoor - will the whole thing be indoor - treadmills and stationaries? Will you do a mass start or waves or individual starts?
3) enlist experienced help. by this I mean some race volunteers or experienced event organizers - a good place to start would be a local charity that raises funds - like the heart association. They are used to organizing events where lots of people are to sign up - they do mailings and organize marketing materials, etc... Of course, they will want to be part of your race as a fund raiser, but this is a good thing too!

What fun! I would love to hear how it goes! That would be a different kind of race report!
2004-03-15 10:40 PM

Bartlesville Oklahoma
Well, we're just in the thinking stages right now. But I think it would only partially be indoor. We may actually drop the indoor idea. We have lots of semi-maintained state and National parks around here as well as scout camps. So, it's probably going to look alot different once it's all over with than it did in my mind last week.

But I have a couple of people who have volunteered to serve on a committee. My husband suggested we do something like an awareness fund raiser for diabetes prevention...

I'm going to get him involved...
2004-03-15 10:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Michelle,
If you have a Komen Race for the Cure in your area, you might ask some of those folks what it takes/took to get the thing off of the ground. That might be a place to start. I have done a 5K. We got a local University ROTC group to volunteer (most of the organizations on a campus need and seek volunteer hours for credit). The YMCA group might use it's "YMCA" contacts to find out how other YMCAs pull it off. Locally, the Henderson County YMCA in Athens, TX just put on their sprint in which I gladly took part. Talking to some of the timing organizations like RunFAR might give you an idea about set up stuff. I wish you luck and if you are close, I will come!!
Vanessa
2004-03-15 10:47 PM

User image

Central Louisiana

I think that it would be beneficial to contact USA Triathlon and they probably can point you in the right direction.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/Event_Sanctioning/2004/Event_Sanctioning_2004.htm

2004-03-16 12:15 AM

User image

Veteran
It sounds like you have a good start, volunteers are the most important part of any event. I have never done it, but I would think the first thing you would need to do is pick out a course and make sure that you can use the roads and water for a tri. The parks department, or city commision would have to ok it. Once you have a course, you need Lifeguards and volunteers to make sure the the course is clear of traffic. What else is there, Aid Stations, Awards, T-shirts and flyers to let everybody know what is going on.
I think it is so cool that you are thinking about doing this. Everybody needs to have the opportunity to do a tri. I would also recomend finding the closest one to you just so you can watch and see what all there is.

Good luck
2004-03-16 12:10 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
2004-03-16 1:49 PM

Regular
Ontario
I know there are a number of YMCA's that host similar events
Maybe you can send out an e-mail or two to benifit from their experiences.

2004-03-16 9:10 PM

Michelle - what a wonderful thing you are doing. I will be most interested in hearing how you do and how things go. It could be very beneficial if you write down everything and every step you take, right from the first thought of even doing this. Looks like you've gotten several really good ideas here already.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Organizing an Indoo/Outdoor Sprint. HELP! Rss Feed