General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Protein shakes - whey vs. soy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-17 2:50 PM

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
Subject: Protein shakes - whey vs. soy
Saw a comment on a recent thread regarding whey vs. soy protein shakes, with the comment to "choose whey." Am curious what the pros and cons are to either, and specifically what makes whey the better choice.

2009-04-17 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2092385

User image

Subject: RE: Protein shakes - whey vs. soy
soy is a better choice for me...i cant have milk and that's listed as an ingredient in whey
2009-04-17 3:06 PM

User image

There is some question that soy, in large quantities, can have varied negative effects on the body.  There is no evidence, however, that a serving or two of soy has any negative effect.  Soy protein is a complete protein, just like whey.  Unless your planning on downing more than 2 soy protein shakes a day, its probably no big deal.  One decent article on the subject by some bodybuilder/nutritionists is here.

On the other hand, whey is typically much cheaper, and some argue that it has a great absorption rate than other forms of protein.  These claims, I think, are typically put forth by supplement companies and are largely unverified by science.

On the other hand STILL, there are several large studies (such as the infamous China Study) linking consumption of dairy products with cancer, especially in women.  Add to that the varied growth hormones and antibiotics that go in to cows, and whatever else they do to those poor animals, and who knows what winds up in your whey.  That is less of a concern with soy, not the least because soy companies are often targeted towards people who care about organic foods and such.  Bodybuilders and weight lifters, the primary consumers of whey protein powders, don't.

My opinion is that finding protein that is cheap and tastes good is probably much more important than the difference of whey vs. soy, beacuse if I miss my protein intake goal for the day because it tastes bad or is expensive, this will be much worse than any detriment soy might pose.  For these reasons, I always use whey, because its cheaper and tastes good.

Edited by CGunz 2009-04-17 3:11 PM
2009-04-17 5:04 PM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts

Whey tends to be the fastest absorbed protein by the body.  Soy is described (though, like the previous poster, I am not sure this is clinically proven) as a medium-speed-digested protein.  Casein is described as the slowest, taking upwards of 8 hours to be absorbed by the digestive system because it is so densely bonded.

If you're looking for a pre-workout shake, choose whey and eat a slow digesting carb (wheat bread, brown rice, etc.)

For post-workout, choose whey and a fast protein, like Gatorade, white bread, white potato, etc.

For bedtime, choose soy or casein...these two proteins take longer to digest, effectively "feeding" your muscles while you sleep.  Cottage cheese is FILLED with casein...three tablespoons of it with a little bit of fish oil at night REALLY regenerates ripped up muscle tissue.

2009-04-17 7:24 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
2009-04-19 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
I'm a supplier to the nutritional industry and I source them both. 

Whey is absorbed faster and althoug it is a derivate of milk, it does not contain milk.  (I'm serious).  Normally a powder will use 34% whey protein. Casein on the other hand is over 80% protein.  Yes, it absorbs slower so it is better as a preworkout meal, but not as postworkout.  I personally don't like SOY, and though you won't likely get the stuff ingested by the cows, tere's no US soy that can claim GMO (or, not being of genetically modified origin)

If you want to 'spike" your whey with some carbs, look for a couple of new ingredients called TREHALOSE and also CLUSTER DEXTRIN.  These are highly branched carbs that are slow to be absorbed. Thus giving a slow insuling spike.  Just like casein they are excellent for endurance activities, with Treha acting a little faster than CD (as in the energy you will need for a Sprint or Oly vs, a HIM or IM.  You'll have to look for products that contain these, not the ingredients themselves.

If you're gonna have some kind of pre-race nutrition at least 1 hr before the gun, I suggest any of the above, especially in combination. 

Ooooo.  BTW:  Soon, you'll be able to find a new line of products containing all these. Brought to you by guess who?  TRKHILO2K.     Any lab rats out there???

2009-06-25 3:54 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Protein shakes - whey vs. soy Rss Feed