Devine Sports
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 48m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at the Gateway at about 5:30 am to catch the train to the race start. Everything went smoothly. Ate 2 bananas and sipped some Gatorade. Hit the port o'potty before the masses arrived, didn't even have to wait! :)
Event warmup:

Some stretching.
Run
  • 1h 48m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a tri club bud pacing me and 2 others for an 8 minute mile pace. We were doing very well at that. At one point, we were doing a 7:50 mile avg. pace...some good downhills.

At the water stops (every 1.5 miles or so), I got a drink and walked to drink, they drank on the fly. This chaing of events caused me to eventually drop behind them. Not too much though. By mile 10, we were still doing an 8 minute mile pace and I was about 25 yards behind them. But, I really, really, REALLY had to pee. I didn't think I'd be able to make it another 3.2 miles without going, so I ducked into the port o'potty (fortunately one was empty) and quickly went. When I came out, they were gone (I was only in there a minute and a 1/2 tops).

So I kept going and was doing ok. At about mile 11, the wheels came off, so to speak. I was starting to struggle, and it was at this point the course went up a long, gradual incline. I think the visual off it made it seem worse than it was. Keep in mind, I was going for a PB which I knew was 1h 48m but I didn't know the seconds. I was still on target to beat it.

However, that portion of the race course took its toll on me and I slogged up the hill. At the top, I had a about a mile to go. It was slightly downhill so I was able to pick it up a bit. During this stretch, I was definitely red-lining with the heart, but now I knew my PB was in jeopardy. I knew I was near the finish chute, but didn't know exactly where the turn to get there was (new course this year). When I turned left to see where I would turn right to the chute, the turn right was a ways away (seemed like FOREVER away), at that point, I knew I wouldn't get the PB as I looked at my watch. I continuted hard and finished to the cheers of a great crowd.

So I missed my PB by 40 seconds. If I didn't have to "go", I would have hit it. I was in better shape last year, too. Oh, well. There is always next year. I felt I gave it my all, and I'm comfortable with that.
What would you do differently?:

Pee faster!
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching. My feet took a beating. A few good blisters and sore toe nails.

Last updated: 2009-02-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:48:53 | 13.1 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3