United States
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 10m 50s
Overall Rank = 22/115
Age Group = 35-39 male
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

Race was about 2 miles from my house and though transition opened up at 6:30, I didn't feel a big rush to get there as I didn't really expect an early crowd. Woke up at 6 made myself some pancakes for breakfast, checked the weather and then finished up a last couple packing items and headed to the race. As I expected, not much of an early crowd. Got a nice close parking spot and a place on the end of a bike rack to set up.
Event warmup:

About an hour before race time the flood gates from the clouds rolling in opened up big time. Had a nice rain/downpour going for a good portion of the time leading up to the race. I had been relaxing in my truck when it started with a few sprinkles. Luckily, I thought it would be a good idea to go grab my transition bag along with my shoes and socks. All the time the rains were coming, I'm debating do I really want to do this today? COLD, WET, WIND, Yuck. Rains let up with about 15 minutes to my race. I get out of my truck and head towards the transition area pretty much ready to go. As I'm walking they announce everyone will be doing the short course. A bit dissappointing as I had signed up for the long, but with the weather the way it was I wasn't going to complain.
Run
  • 14m 42s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

I went out rather good, but after about a 1/2 mile into it I could tell I hadn't had any warm up. Overall though I was feeling pretty good and felt like I had a pretty good pace going. After the turn around I do a sprint up the hill along with two other pick up runs after that before I get to the transition area. My first race in my new Zoot running shoes and so far I like them a lot. After seeing my 7:21 pace I'm quite happy with those results.
What would you do differently?:

Would have liked to have my legs a bit more ready to go, but considering the weather condtions, it just wasn't going to happen.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

I had thoughts before hand of having shoes clipped into my pedals like the big shots do, but after experimenting with it some on a practice day I scratched that idea. Maybe with a bit more practice I'll get the hang of it, but for now I'll run some with my cycling shoes on.

nothing
Bike
  • 39m 49s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.59 mile/hr
Comments:

The rain is starting to pick up again once out on the bike. As we head out from transition and make our way through town we are met with a strong SE wind. Makes it a bit rough on the out especially when throwing in the rolling hills. I finally get a nice tailwind as I'm about a mile out from the turn around. The bad part is the rain has picked up quite a bit. I make the turn and head back and am met with pelting rain. For the next 3-4 miles the rain does not let up. Fortunately, I get a tail wind quickly, but it made for some hard times trying to see and some very slick road conditions. The long course was to be a 19 mile ride and I was hoping to be around the 18.5-19.0 mph mark, so considering the extra hills and the wind and rain I was very happy with a 19.6 average.

nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Everything was so heavy and wet it made things difficult. Had a bit of a time dismounting off the bike as I my legs were feeling a bit wobbly. I clopped my way with my bike to my spot with not much problem. I slung off my wet gloves and my shoes and slipped into the running shoes. Though I've always run with Yank's elastic laces the Zoots really impressed me with the ease of entry. I really like these shoes.
Run
  • 00m
  • 2 miles
  • 07m  min/mile
Comments:

Took nearly a mile for me to feel my feet once again. Socks I was wearing kept in a lot of cold water that I had collected on the bike. The initial up climb wasn't too bad overall and it was nice bringing it home on the downhill. When I saw the results following and the 7:03 I was very pleased. I think the best I've ever run in a multisport event before was a 7:09. I tried to catch a guy ahead of me with a final sprint, but came up a second short.

Would have started my kick earlier to try and catch the guy ahead of me.
Post race
Warm down:

Took off my wet clothes and put on some dry ones so I could do my best to warm up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather.

Event comments:

With my 'A' race of the season being the Big Creek Tri in Des Moines, IA I wanted to get a good gauge of my Olympic distance conditioning. Unfortunately, the weather had other plans. I was looking to be in the 18.5-19.0 mph range on the bike and under 8:30/mile on the second run, so its tough for me to gauge just exactly where I'm at, though I was quite pleased with the outcome on a short course basis. Funny thing is I was 5/12 in my age group and though any kind of hardware at a race is a bonus had the long course not had been cancelled I would have placed in the top 3 as at least two of those ahead of me were preregistered for the short course. Definitely one of the most difficult races I've had weather wise. Overall, not a bad way to start the season.

Last updated: 2009-04-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:14:42 | 02 miles | 07m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 25/115
Performance: Good
Course: A rather short out and back run. Started out with a ever so slight downhill, with only a couple rather small hills in the mix.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:39:49 | 13 miles | 19.59 mile/hr
Overall: 18/115
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: A challenging hilly out and back ride. I ride quite often on the course as it is so near to my house so I already had an idea of what to expect.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:00:00 | 02 miles | 07m  min/mile
Overall: 30/115
Performance:
Course: Gradual climb for the first mile and then return on the downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-26 7:17 PM

Subject: Winter Begone Duathlon

2009-04-26 7:56 PM
in reply to: #2111464

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Winter Begone Duathlon

Great job out there today.  Way to persevere through really bad conditions.

2009-04-26 11:50 PM
in reply to: #2111464

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Subject: RE: Winter Begone Duathlon

Nice race, Andy!  I was a volunteer at the bike turnaround and conditions were bad out there.   Good job in some tough weather.    

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Winter Begone Duathlon Rss Feed