General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Auburn International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-04 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Subject: Auburn International Triathlon
Good Morning!  Anybody contemplating this race?  Just finished Wildflower, so it's time to think about Auburn.  Hoping to hear from somebody who's doing it, did it, or better yet, has done Wildflower AND Auburn and can compare them for me!!

2009-05-04 9:24 PM
in reply to: #2127978

New user
Subject: RE: Auburn International Triathlon
Haven't done either, but I will be doing the Auburn half this year.  My first half was earlier this year, the Oceanside 70.3, and I will also be doing the Pacific Grove Oly, the San Fran Oly, Escape from Alcatraz, and finishing up the year IMAZ.  Yeah, I'm ambitious.  or crazy.

So you in Auburn in a month
2009-05-06 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2130192

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
I am also doing Alcatraz and IM AZ...have heard that Auburn half is the equivalent of an IM, or so people have said....don't peak too soon ;-)
2009-05-06 4:52 PM
in reply to: #2127978

User image

Expert
I just did Wildflower long course for the first time, and I'm signed up for Auburn (HIM). It's been a couple years since I've done Auburn, but I did it once as a HIM, once as the long course duathlon, and I have trained on the course a lot in the past (not so much this year).

Even though the Wildflower bike course is less hilly than Auburn, in some ways I think Wildflower might be harder because the hills keep coming at you (e.g. Nasty Grade at mile 41), whereas once you hit the turnaround on the Auburn course, it's mostly downhill. There are a couple hills on the way back down, but nothing like the Nasty.

The Auburn run used to be harder than the Wildflower run, but they changed the run course and I believe it is now a lot flatter than it used to be. I haven't run the new course, but reading through the description, it's probably comparable to the Wildflower run course, maybe easier.

Again, it's been a couple years since I've been at the race, but in terms of the event itself, there are about 10,000 less people at the Auburn race than Wildflower. Only a small number of people actually camp out for it. It's got much more of a "grass-roots" feel than a world-class event feel of Wildflower. But for the number of participants and everything, the race is well run and a lot of fun.

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Auburn International Triathlon Rss Feed