General Discussion Race Reports! » Head for the Hills Bike Rally in Cedar Hill Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Head for the Hills Bike Rally in Cedar Hill - CycleTour

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cedar Hill, Texas
United States
Rotary Club of Cedar Hill
Total Time = 3h 33m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

First of all, this event took place in my hometown, so I got to stay at my parents house the night before which was just a couple minutes from the start. It was cool cycling around familiar roads where I grew up!

I woke up at 6:15 and had some oatmeal and OJ. Made sure everything on my bike was ready to go, then headed toward the high school.
Event warmup:

Got to the high school at 7:00 am and grabbed a parking spot right near the registration tent. I went and got my bib, then just sat in the car for an hour. I never know why I get to bike rallies so early.
Bike
  • 3h 33m 5s
  • 65.3 miles
  • 18.39 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was GREAT. I can't say enough about the route. We only had a 3 mile strip of chip-seal and the rest of the course was smooth, with one fantastic road out by Maypearl that was about 30 feet wide and tarmac-smooth. The scenery was beautiful and there were a few winding roads that were interesting. The name of the rally was misleading though, since the only real "hill" was about 3 miles into the route and then it was mostly flat.

I stopped at every aid station just to say thanks and support the town. The rest stops were all done really nicely and they had a surplus of cookies/bread/bananas/etc. at every stop. The only stop I spent a considerable amount of time at was the Mile 55 rest stop, where I got 10-minute chiropractic session while eating a Chick-Fil-A sandwich. I think that should be mandatory on every long bike ride. :)

I had a lot of fun with this ride and tried to push the pace a bit. I didn't do any drafting, but that was fine with me. I would occasionally pass other people though and they would pick it up and suck my wheel. That just made me want to ride harder to drop them haha. The longest anyone lasted on my wheel was about 1/2 mile.

I saw a few people I knew from the past working at aid stations or riding themselves. It was a lot of fun and I can't wait to do it again next year!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Great day.
Post race
Warm down:

My dad had been waiting at the finish line for two hours for me by the time I rolled in, and he was talking to a friend when I went across the line so he missed me. Ha. I just chilled with him by the car and ate a Powerbar.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I felt great all day. I probably shouldn't have had a chicken sandwich at the last aid station haha.

Last updated: 2009-03-09 12:00 AM
Biking
03:33:05 | 65.3 miles | 18.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-05-09 6:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: Head for the Hills Bike Rally in Cedar Hill

2009-05-09 9:29 PM
in reply to: #2140863

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: Head for the Hills Bike Rally in Cedar Hill

I agree it as a great ride and I cannot wait to do it again next year.  Did that road in Maypearl not totally ROCK

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Head for the Hills Bike Rally in Cedar Hill Rss Feed