General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Want to tri....Don't want to shrink Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-08-23 1:11 PM

Fresno,Ca
Subject: Want to tri....Don't want to shrink
Hello everyone, My name is Michael. I am 33 yr old police officer in Fresno,Ca. I am 5'10" and 215 lbs. I have always wanted to try a tri. Recently, I had major reconstructive surgery done to my right knee, its been about 3 months so I'm still early in the rehab process. I'm just starting to jog again. But the knee gets a little sore.
I have always worked out and am a pretty good size guy muscle-wise with some extra body fat (probably about 20 percent). I never have done much aerobic training because it always bored me. I really dont want to lose that much size when I start training. In fact, I would like to continue building muscle while getting a little leaner. I dont think I would want to go under 190-195 lbs. I just dont want to look like a runner. Is it possible to keep a good build and still compete? I dont have to be the fastest. I just want to have fun and meet some new people.
I am looking to compete in a sprint tri around June of 04. I really want to take the training slow considering the injury. I dont want any setbacks. Any help you could provide or experience that you have would be greatly appreciated.

2003-08-23 1:41 PM
in reply to: #539

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: don' worry, no shrinking...

when i was training for my first tri, i was doing the most serious lifting i have ever done...i did gain 10-15 pounds lean mass.  of course i ate lots and lots and am skinny by nature.  i always lifted before tri training so my lifting never suffered...like u, i just wanted to place - not be fast.  the tri training will lean u out and cut u up provided u r acheiving the right nutritional balance...eat plenty of protein to keep those muscles.

regarding your knee, your doctor would know best how to train and what to avoid at first.  of course, strength training is going to be the best healer for your knee...at least i think so.  i'm sure your re-hab doc has given u plenty of exercises.  maybe some others could share any knee injury experiences they have had.  just always listen to your knee.

best of luck

2003-08-23 7:09 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Want to tri....Don't want to shrink
Go and watch a fairly large triathlon with a Clydesdale division (201 lbs+) You will see some guys that will resemble your body make up. I personally don't think that training for a sprint is going to make you lose much muscle mass at all.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-08-24 10:55 PM
in reply to: #540

denver co
Subject: RE: don' worry, no shrinking...
ron,
thanks for your advice. like mike, i am in a similar boat. i don't have as muscle mass, but what i have i worked hard for and want to keep it. i am a beginner and don't have the time or energy for weightlifting and tri training, also i am 30 and have only been on an excercise program for a little over a year and am concerned with overtraining.(i never had any problems with my knees until i started tri training) any advice for me

scott
2003-08-25 9:12 AM
in reply to: #544

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: i tend to feel...

that if u train for distances under olympic length, then u will just 'lean out' and not lose muscle mass.  when your going to half or full ironman, u may start sacrificing muscle mass as that is the arch-nemesis of endurance (do u ever see any modestly built marathon runners?).  

i do recommend SOME degree of 'strength training'  as little as 2 times per week, 30min per session to keep those joints, tendons and muscles healthy - they may also help your knee (although i am unfamiliar with any history u have with it)

2003-08-26 8:04 PM

Fresno,Ca
Hey Guys, thanks for the info. I now have another question. I have been working on a workout schedule and am having a difficult time. I would like to keep my current weight training routine of 4 days on 1 to 2 days off depending on how I feel. My split goes like this...
Day 1 Chest/Biceps...swim,slow pace with frequent rests
Day 2 Back...bike 20 mins
Day 3 Legs...Nada
Day 4 Shoulders/Tri's...Walk 20 mins
Day 5 off
Repeat
At this point my cardio and leg workouts are not exactly intense with the bum wheel but it still seems like I am going to overtrain once I start picking up the intensity. Eventually, I would like the swim to be in the 800 meter range??? maybe more maybe less (could use some help here), the bike to be 30-40 mins and 30 mins of running. I was also considering inserting an off day between day 2 and 3. That would give an extra day or two off per week. What do you guys think of that. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Also, do you guys think that would be enough tri training to get ready for an event?

Edited by Bonyx26 2003-08-26 8:07 PM

2003-08-27 9:09 AM
in reply to: #563

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: an example...

i feel u do not need to worry about overtraining in triathlon and lifting for a sprint or olympic race.  just make sure u get 1-2 rest days and listen to your body when your tired.  i assume your doing the sprint - right?

my lifting /tri training schedule (for olympic) as an example:

mon - chest/tris/swim

tues - back/abs/run

wed - off

thurs - legs/abs/swim

fri - shoulder/bis/run

sat - bike

sun -off OR run OR swim (depending on how u feel or need focused training in a event)

need to run and swim at least 2x per week. 

if your doing a sprint, make sure u can swim ~30min, bike 45-60min, run 30-45min.  with the bum knee, u won't be hitting lightspeed (yet) so try try to hit the high side of these times.  near your event, try to match your minutes to mileage to see if u r good.  remember...no problem walking on the run if your knee is giving u problems.

2003-08-27 10:41 AM

Fresno,Ca
Hey Ron, thanks for the info. Looks like your training routine is somewhat similar to mine so I should be good. Especially since the intensity will be rather low for the next 3 months at least. Im hoping to start picking it up towards the end of December and training harder. That should give me plenty of time for doing a sprint towards May or June of next year. Thanks and I'll keep ya posted.
2003-09-11 9:02 PM

User image

Austin, TX
Bonyx26,
Great advice so far and congrats on joining the group! I'm new to the tri arena and I'm currently training for my first tri, but I have been playing soccer, riding mountain bikes, skiing, etc. my whole life. The longer distance running use to aggravate my right knee over the last few years due to repeated stress from soccer. I'm now 33 as of August. Last year while training for an Adventure Race I stumbled upon 2 lifesavers: roadrunnersports.com (It's an online shoe store with awesome advice) and my new pair of shoes, Mizuno WaveRiders. My knee has thanked me ever since. The cushioning in the shoe made a HUGE difference. All shoes fit people different so don't go buy this shoe, just use my advice and go to a shoe store or call roadrunner sports and get solid advice on a good pair of cushioned running shoes meant to fit your individual need. They make a world of difference. I always thought that running shoes were running shoes. Not anymore.

-Christopher
2003-09-12 5:02 AM
in reply to: #743

Veteran
Rutland Ohio (South Eastern Ohio)
About the knee's....I had some knee problems when I first started increasing my running milage. I have read (and believe) you have to increase your running distance slowly (<1%/week). Also, shoes made a big difference for me. I have ran in asics for 13 years and switched to new balance. The new balance shoes doesn't seem to fit me as well as my asics and about the same time as the switch, I had knee problems.

About the loss in size. I am not big (~165 lbs 6'), and haven't lifted weights in years. When I first started training for higher endurance races, I actually gained weight, but visually, only in my legs. I have noticed loss in strength in my arms and that my body fat went down (apparent by my cheek bones showing more). I am planning on including strength building plan in my off season building phase.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Want to tri....Don't want to shrink Rss Feed