General Discussion Race Reports! » Magellan Chicago Spring Half Marathon & 10K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Magellan Chicago Spring Half Marathon & 10K - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Capri Events/Magellan Development Group, LLC
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 4s
Overall Rank = 226/1442
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 35/107
Pre-race routine:

Get up at 5, get on my gear and hit the road. Eat a power bar and hydrate a bit on the drive.
Event warmup:

Walk down a long flight of steps from the parking garage to the event check in. Eat a gel about 15 minutes out from start.
Run
  • 1h 43m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

The run start was pretty congested, and the course followed a strange and twisting route down a parking garage ramp and then through an alley. Race was near capacity, and would be too crowded if/when it reaches capacity. First miles were slow due to the congestion. The rest of the course was nice, with good views of the city and lakefront, and was exceptionally well supported with 13 aidstations along the Half mary route.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front so as not to get caught in congestion.
Post race
Warm down:

None. Just walk back up the long flight of stairs, and by now my ankle was sore.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm not sure. I was behind my pace and time goals right from the beginning, and this effected my ability to try to push my pace latter on. When I reached the 10 mile marker, I was nearly 3 1/2 minutes off my goal, and almost 4 minutes behind my time for the 10 mile race 2 weeks before, that I felt like I gave up, and ran easy.

Event comments:

Not a bad inaugural event. I would race it again, but would be concerned if the numbers of registrants grew to much.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-05-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:43:04 | 13.1 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 35/107
Overall: 226/1442
Performance: Average
Course: Along the lakefront in Chicago and behind the aguarium and musuem campus.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-05-18 3:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Subject: Magellan Chicago Spring Half Marathon & 10K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Magellan Chicago Spring Half Marathon & 10K Rss Feed