General Discussion Triathlon Talk » About to pull the trigger on an S1 or S2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-18 10:02 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Subject: About to pull the trigger on an S1 or S2
Today I was supposed to have a "real" bike fitting done on my current bike - a Trek 2100 WSD.  I have a lot of pain issues (hands, wrists, neck, back) so a proper fit was definitely in order for me.  When I arrived for my fitting, the fitter took one look at my bike (a 54cm) and one look at me...and said the words I had feared he would say..."your bike is too big for you".   So...it seemed pretty pointless to get a fitting on a bike that would never really fit me to begin with.   So instead, I opted to have a fit done for a new bike - a Cervelo S1, which is the bike I've been lusting after for a long time.   That is, until I saw the S2 (actually it was the 08 Carbon Soloist) he had in the shop.  So now I am torn between the two.  The fitting I had will obviously work with either bike, since they are the same geometry.  They would be building the S1 to my fit specs...but the Carbon was already built up with a few minor modifications (different fork & handlebars).  Since the Carbon was last year's model...he came down a bit on the price...said he'd sell it to me for $3,100.  The S1 would be regular retail...$2,200.   Both are equipped with Ultegra SL...but the Carbon version has Ultegra brakes, versus the Cervelo Mach2's on the S1.  

My heart says to go with the Carbon model...but my head says to stick with the cheaper S1.  The extra $$$ for the Carbon does weigh on my mind...a LOT.  I keep asking myself do I REALLY NEED a full carbon bike???  I am NOT a fast rider, by any means...and a part of me thinks that it would be silly for me to be riding such a nice bike.  I mean...lets face it, a brand new shiny carbon bike isn't going to make me any faster or better.   But what I'm hoping to get out of this, is that I'll be more comfortable and thus, have less pain...which will allow me to enjoy riding/racing more. 

Any thoughts or comments?  I really could use some sound advice here.  I don't want to buy more bike than I really need or can justify.  Would the S1 suffice my needs...or will I kick myself for not getting the Carbon Soloist?  Help!!!

Edited by nscrbug 2009-05-18 10:02 PM

2009-05-19 2:09 AM
in reply to: #2159764

User image

New user
Kansas City Metro
Subject: RE: About to pull the trigger on an S1 or S2
You'll regret it if you don't go with the Soloist.  Might not make you better or faster, but you will enjoy the ride on carbon alot better than on alum.
2009-05-19 8:00 AM

I am going through the same thing right now, however this is my first street bike. When I walk into the Bike shop I look at a few low end bikes, then the owner comes over, we start talking and now I am sitting on a full Carbon Fuji with the price tag of $3,500. I have lost 60 pounds doing mostly SPIN and Weights over the past 6 months but am still 215 pounds. I think I need this hobby to continue my new life style. So I am looking at this as a commitment to do that. I also told the shop owner that I don't want to spend one or two thousand now and again in a couple of years. This bike would be a 5 year bike. I have mountain bikes and get the bug to ride every two years or so, but they are lower end specialized, so not much of a commitment. But Road Bikes are a whole other world. So I think I am going to make the investment on something I will love.
2009-05-19 9:58 AM

User image

Regular
Durango, Colorado
I absolutely LOVE my S1!  You could use the money you'd save on some nice race wheels.

But, I think you should always follow your heart or else you'll regret it.  Good luck with your choice.  Both are great bikes.

2009-05-19 10:40 AM

Illinois
It really is not a bad choice to have.  Both are great bikes.  I own an S1 and love it.  It is not as brutal as other aluminum frames I have been on, but my longest ride on the S1 has only been 45 miles.  I haven't had any problems yet, but I haven't done any longer rides either.  If you can afford the Soloist, then I would get the Soloist.  I always suggest getting the best bike and fit that you can afford.  The carbon Soloist trumps the S1.  Again, it is not a bad choice to have, as both are great bikes.
2009-05-19 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
Go with the carbon, you'll love it!

2009-05-19 8:56 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Thanks to everyone for the great feedback!  I'm planning on going back to the shop this weekend to look more closely at the Carbon Soloist.  There are a few "issues" I want to discuss with the shop, before I make my final decision.   One being...they swapped out the stock fork for an after-market one (I forget the name of it...started with an "A" I think).  The fitter told me they had some kind of warranty issue with the stock fork and opted to just replace it with something else.  But I get the feeling that the replacement fork is not as good as the stock one...hence the reason for the lower selling price (he actually said that to me).  They also replaced the handlebars with a set that didn't feel very comfortable to me.  They had a much thinner diameter through the curved section on the top part of the bar...and I prefer a beefier, flatter bar in that section because I have hand pain issues.  So I would definitely want those 2 things addressed to my satisfaction before purchasing the bike. 

Also...when I was getting my fit done for the new bike, he did the fit with a Cobb V-Flow saddle on the fit cycle.  I really liked the saddle during the fit, so I asked that the stock saddle be swapped out for the V-Flow on whichever bike I end up going with.

ETA - For those here that are currently riding a 2009 S1...is the 3T Funda Pro fork a carbon fork?  What about the steerer?  Is that carbon, too?  Or is it steel? 

Edited by nscrbug 2009-05-19 9:13 PM
2009-05-19 11:15 PM

User image

Master
Whichever you do if your LBS is part of the promotion make sure you sign up for their promotion right now.  You get entered for a trip to the TdF and if you buy an S1 or S2 you get a free jersey.  A nice free tchochke for doing what you were going to do anyway.

http://www.cervelo.com/testride.aspx?id=cvd
2009-05-20 2:08 AM
in reply to: #2162140

User image

New user
Kansas City Metro

The 3T Funda is a full carbon fork including the steerer.  I was my understanding that Cervelo was swapping the recalled Wolf SL with the 3T.  I have seen some Soloists that were swapped out with Alpha Q's as well.  If you buy the soloist, I would strongly recommend that you have the shop install a fork that will be covered by Cervelo under their warranty.

2009-05-20 5:40 AM
in reply to: #2162417

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
L45 - 2009-05-20 2:08 AM

The 3T Funda is a full carbon fork including the steerer.  I was my understanding that Cervelo was swapping the recalled Wolf SL with the 3T.  I have seen some Soloists that were swapped out with Alpha Q's as well.  If you buy the soloist, I would strongly recommend that you have the shop install a fork that will be covered by Cervelo under their warranty.

Ahhhh...that's it...Alpha Q is the fork that is on the Carbon Soloist that I'm interested in.  I'm so glad you mentioned it, and the fact that I should have them swap it back to the original for warranty purposes....because that's exactly what was bothering me about the whole thing.  Thank you!!!
2009-05-20 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2162455

User image

New user
Kansas City Metro
I checked on this for you.  Per Cervelo, the fork should have been swapped with either a 3T Funda or a Easton EA 90.  If you go with the Soloist, tell them you want the 3T, it is a much better fork than the Easton, IMO.

2009-05-20 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2163390

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
L45 - 2009-05-20 11:44 AM I checked on this for you.  Per Cervelo, the fork should have been swapped with either a 3T Funda or a Easton EA 90.  If you go with the Soloist, tell them you want the 3T, it is a much better fork than the Easton, IMO.

Awesome...thank you so much!  So it's my understanding that...the 2008 Soloist Carbon models were using the Wolf SL fork....but due to this recall, have now been replaced with the 3T Funda Pro...which is what they are currently using on both the 2009 S1 & S2...is that correct?  
2009-05-22 1:13 AM
in reply to: #2163570

User image

New user
Kansas City Metro
You are correct!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » About to pull the trigger on an S1 or S2 Rss Feed