General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water bottle cages Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-28 5:48 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Subject: Water bottle cages
If all goes well...I will be bringing home a new 2008 Cervelo Soloist Carbon road bike tomorrow...yay!   On my current bike, I have a crappy cheapo standard aluminum bottle cage.  I don't want to use this one on the new bike - it's the wrong color and would look stupid.  

My new bike is primarily red, with some black and white.  I'd like to find some sleeker-looking cages that will compliment the aero-style of the bike.  I've been checking out some of the carbon fiber cages and while they do look totally cool...damn, they are pricey!  I don't really know what to look for in a decent bottle cage.  Is there a particular brand/model that I should be considering?  I will say this, the side-loading ones definitely interest me.  I like not having to look down to slide the bottle back into the cage, and I've heard that the side-loading cages make this possible.   I should also add, I'm not exactly the most graceful when it comes to grabbing the bottle out of the cage and placing it back in.  I tend to swerve all over the road while performing this task...so an easier "in/out" would be beneficial for me.   Thanks!

Linda

2009-05-28 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2179715

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: Water bottle cages
nscrbug - 2009-05-28 5:48 PM If all goes well...I will be bringing home a new 2008 Cervelo Soloist Carbon road bike tomorrow...yay!   On my current bike, I have a crappy cheapo standard aluminum bottle cage.  I don't want to use this one on the new bike - it's the wrong color and would look stupid.  

My new bike is primarily red, with some black and white.  I'd like to find some sleeker-looking cages that will compliment the aero-style of the bike.  I've been checking out some of the carbon fiber cages and while they do look totally cool...damn, they are pricey!  I don't really know what to look for in a decent bottle cage.  Is there a particular brand/model that I should be considering?  I will say this, the side-loading ones definitely interest me.  I like not having to look down to slide the bottle back into the cage, and I've heard that the side-loading cages make this possible.   I should also add, I'm not exactly the most graceful when it comes to grabbing the bottle out of the cage and placing it back in.  I tend to swerve all over the road while performing this task...so an easier "in/out" would be beneficial for me.   Thanks!

Linda

easier in/out can mean losing bottles when you don't want to.  I use Specialized Pro Cages.  They are $16.00 and they hold the bottles tight.  I was going to spend the money on carbon then heard several people say they don't hold the bottles all that well and when I considered the weight vs. price difference, I decided to save my money.  I do like the way they designed the opening.  If you hit it close, it will guide your bottle right in.  You will have to use just a little force though, but they won't fall out.
2009-05-28 9:05 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
I have carbon cages from Performance.  I think I got them on sale a couple of years ago, for around $20-25.  Still more than standard cages, but I think on a carbon bike that's the way to go.
2009-05-29 8:48 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I use the cheapo freebie cages on all my bikes. I don't race with them, so I don't really care about their aerodynamics.
2009-05-29 8:59 AM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
These are wicked expensive for a bottle cage, but a friend of mine got them and they hold the bottle and make it easy to get the bottle in and out.

http://www.arundelbike.com/sideloader.html?p=1.1.1.3
2009-05-29 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2180616

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
wwlani - 2009-05-29 8:59 AM These are wicked expensive for a bottle cage, but a friend of mine got them and they hold the bottle and make it easy to get the bottle in and out. http://www.arundelbike.com/sideloader.html?p=1.1.1.3

YES...that is the side-loading cage that I was looking at.  I'm glad to hear that your friend is happy with it.  I'm going to shop around and see if I can find 1 or 2 for a bit less than what I've seen them going for.  Thanks!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water bottle cages Rss Feed