General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 20 wk training plan & 2 wk trip/vacation? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-19 8:29 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: 20 wk training plan & 2 wk trip/vacation?
I’m going to be following the BT 20 week 1/2 IM training plan for my first 1/2 IM in October. The problem is, I will be going on a 2 week trip during Week 16 and 15 of the plan. We’re driving to Ohio, so 3-4 days will be spent driving about 10 hrs per day, and the same on the way home. We’ll be traveling by RV, so I’m going to try to find a place to stay that has a pool (even if it’s small). I’ll also pack my running shoes, and try to pack my bike.

There are 2 options that I’ve thought of:
1) Start the 20 week training plan about 2 weeks early, and finish Weeks 16 & 15 before the trip. During the trip just try to do some light activity, and when I get home pick right back up with Week 14.
2) Skip Week 16 & 15. Just do the light activity that I can, miss the workouts that I miss, and pick right back up with the plan at Week 14 when I return home.

We’re going to Ohio for the national championship motorcycle roadraces (I’ll be racing) so I can’t do major workouts that would take a lot of time, make me sore, and affect my racing endurance. Racing is pretty physical, and by the end of the day I’m usually dead tired and will probably be too tired to workout.

Any advice is appreciated! Has anyone else tried to work a 20 week training plan around something like a 2 week trip or vacation?

2005-04-19 9:28 PM
in reply to: #144901

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chatham. Ontario
Subject: RE: 20 wk training plan & 2 wk trip/vacation?

Start the plan 2 weeks early so you have a buffer, do your program up to your trip then take the 2 weeks off and enjoy yourself, when you get back pick up the next week in your program and move on.  Don't stress about the 2 week downtime, it will most likely be beneficial.  You will feel refreshed and anxious to resume where you left off. Take the half ironman date and work backwards for 22 weeks, instead of 20.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 20 wk training plan & 2 wk trip/vacation? Rss Feed