General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Camping suggestions in Cadillac for Lumberman?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-22 9:50 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Subject: Camping suggestions in Cadillac for Lumberman??
Anyone have any?  Ive never camped there before and see there are quite a few campgrounds.  Ron and I would like to camp for a couple days after Lumberman this weekend. 

2009-06-22 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2233650

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: RE: Camping suggestions in Cadillac for Lumberman??
If you don't mind heading east about 45 minutes, Higgins Lake State Parks are nice.
2009-06-22 12:53 PM

User image

Expert
Traverse Cityish
Interlochen has a great campground if you plan on hanging in the area for a while. It puts you far enough out so you are close to forests, trails, your race event, etc. However you are only 30 minutes from TC if you feel like going for decent food, etc.

If you want to pull up camp and roll further north, Northport in Leelanau state park is fantastic. LSP is a bit primitive, but it's got huge camp sites and has water all around. It's my favorite Northern MI camp ground by far.

My fiance and I will be doing a relay team for the oly. If you see a guy in a Greyhound tri top say hi.

Edited by Nelg 2009-06-22 12:57 PM
2009-06-22 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2234304

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Nelg - 2009-06-22 12:53 PM Interlochen has a great campground if you plan on hanging in the area for a while. It puts you far enough out so you are close to forests, trails, your race event, etc. However you are only 30 minutes from TC if you feel like going for decent food, etc. If you want to pull up camp and roll further north, Northport in Leelanau state park is fantastic. LSP is a bit primitive, but it's got huge camp sites and has water all around. It's my favorite Northern MI camp ground by far. My fiance and I will be doing a relay team for the oly. If you see a guy in a Greyhound tri top say hi.

Cool!  Where are you guys staying?   We made reservations at Mitchell State park.  I hear its by the main road so might be a little car noisy, but most of the other ones seem really small.  Plus we live by M59 so Im not sure we'll notice too much.
Ill be doing InterROckin so staying at Interlochen in July.  Im glad to hear its a nice place!
2009-06-22 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2234526

Kelly

You will find that the town is quite as the sun goes down.  One thing, I am sure 3D will tell you...but the past few summers they have dumped chems in the water to kill off some invading weed.  They usally have the notices up around the water with the dates on the spraying.

Last summer the locals in the party store were all complaining about swimmers itch.  Just something I over heard in line.

Joe
2009-06-22 2:15 PM

BTW what happend to you at Big Fish?

2009-06-25 7:42 AM

User image

Expert
Traverse Cityish
kellc09 - 2009-06-22 2:54 PM

Nelg - 2009-06-22 12:53 PM Interlochen has a great campground if you plan on hanging in the area for a while. It puts you far enough out so you are close to forests, trails, your race event, etc. However you are only 30 minutes from TC if you feel like going for decent food, etc. If you want to pull up camp and roll further north, Northport in Leelanau state park is fantastic. LSP is a bit primitive, but it's got huge camp sites and has water all around. It's my favorite Northern MI camp ground by far. My fiance and I will be doing a relay team for the oly. If you see a guy in a Greyhound tri top say hi.

Cool!  Where are you guys staying?   We made reservations at Mitchell State park.  I hear its by the main road so might be a little car noisy, but most of the other ones seem really small.  Plus we live by M59 so Im not sure we'll notice too much.
Ill be doing InterROckin so staying at Interlochen in July.  Im glad to hear its a nice place!

We made a late decision to skip doing the relay for Lumberman and to do it for Interlochen instead. As for our place of stay, we are north of Cadillac by 20 minutes so it would be an easy morning drive as will Interlochen. Guess I should update my profile from Farmington Hills.

You guys are going to have awesome weather this weekend from the sounds of it, have a great tri and perhaps we'll see you at Interlochen!

Edited by Nelg 2009-06-25 7:44 AM
2009-06-27 7:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
I have land about 10 minutes south of the race and that's where I'll be staying. I had a posting on FB for all the people I know on there to come up and stay with us and do the race. No one took me up on it, they all raced last weekend and did not want to do a 3d race. Maybe next year (if this turns out good) I'll do it again and extend the invite you you all too.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Camping suggestions in Cadillac for Lumberman?? Rss Feed