United States
Hartford Marathon Foundation
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 56m 31s
Overall Rank = 174/254
Age Group = 40-44 Men
Age Group Rank = 30/40
Pre-race routine:

Pasta meal the evening before, and plenty of water and G2 hydration. 2 glasses of red wine with dinner. got up way early - pre race jitters. woke up 1:30a, after going to bed around 9:30p. did some studying of route, etc... Had a protein shake with banana and strawberry, and got out of the house at 4am for the drive to Stamford. picked up a large coffee on the way. why change the routine, right? Got to stamford at 5am. Plenty of time to pick up registration info, set up T2, then bike over to T1 and set up T1. Many pitstops ahead of race, that was good.
Event warmup:

20 min warmup in water to adjust to temperature. enjoyable. ended up floating on my back, easy in the wetsuit!, watching the sun come up. very relaxed.
Swim
  • 29m 52s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

i was very pleased with this result. first time i did the mile in less than 30. i was very relaxed, the time in the water for warmup was a very very good idea. i did ask to go in the last wave, as i was a first timer. so me and 3 other guys made that wave. a little embarassing, but in the end i ate up a lot of pink caps in the wave in front of us, and green caps in 2 waves in front. so, good result.
What would you do differently?:

push harder. increased speed through more frequent training. go in age wave.
Transition 1
  • 05m 21s
Comments:

ran out of swim, removed wetsuit top prior to entry to T1. water was there, but i missed it, should have had a sip, took a lot of salt water in during the swim, gagged a bit on the third leg of the swim after a big gulp of fresh long island sound saltwater! took too much time getting wetsuit off, stuck on heels. took too much time switching from polar waterproof timer and HR monitor to garmin. gotta figure out whether thats worth it or not. drank a bit of G2.

better prep, rehearse the transition. figure out a better routine on the polar to garmin swap.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 27s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 17.62 mile/hr
Comments:

sore knee gave me only 50% on hills on my right leg. i was killing the downhills though, and on the final stretch, i was eating people up. nice ride. hills took a lot out of people. i took it easy on the hills.

more hill training.
Transition 2
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

quicker than T1 i think. didn't think much about early exit off bike as i approached. a decent transition i guess.

push faster in transition area
Run
  • 53m 28s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

great run. lots of gas in the tank for the final mile. slow start on the first 2 miles. once i loosened up i could work on the times. very comfortable for the run, probably can push a little more on the bike and swim, and still be good on the run. for next time! was drinking a cup of electrolyte every mile. good hydration.

push more earlier.
Post race
Warm down:

2 big bags of ice on right knee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

focused on having a good experience and not blowing myself out. right knee in pain on hill climbs.

Event comments:

too bad timing got messed up. postrace party and food and facilities were great!

Last updated: 2009-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:52 | 1640 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 174/254
Performance: Good
165 max heart rate 148 average heart rate 11:42 in 128-143 zone air temp 63 degrees, 87% humidity, wind 8mph from NNW.
Suit: full tri wetsuit
Course: triangle. the current and waves really kicked in on the second leg. they were not an event in leg 1 or 3
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:24:27 | 24.8 miles | 17.62 mile/hr
Overall: 152/254
HR avg 151 HR max 173 max speed 27.8
Wind: Some
Course: out of T1, then into a nice shore neighborhood. then into downtown stamford. traffic made things interesting. out of downtown and onto a northern run up hills for about 10 miles. hills were killer. then return down long hill road, a smooth state highway, where i felt the need for speed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:53:28 | 06.2 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Overall: 174/254
avg HR 156 max HR 170 max speed 6:21 Laps: 1 9:06 2 8:58 3 8:44 4 8:51 5 8:43 6 8:27
Course: Two 3-mile loops. downtown streets. mile 1 flat. mile 2 slight long climb. mile 3 down/flat. repeat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes