General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm tired!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-29 7:18 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Subject: I'm tired!!
I started training for my first Sprint Triathlon two weeks ago. (Tri in in July). I have been running 3 miles/2xs per week, swimming 30 minutes/2xs per week and riding 15+ miles at least once/week. I was in relatively good shape to begin with (I'm a soccer player)...but every day when I finish my workout I'm exhausted. I sleep at least 7 hours a night and eat pretty well...any advice on keeping energy up following a workout.

Also...any advice for contact wearers...I was going to try to swim with contacts in, but my goggles always end up leaking!!! Does anyone put contacts in during T1?

2005-04-29 7:29 AM
in reply to: #149850

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi
Subject: RE: I'm tired!!
Grats on working toward your 1st tri. I bought some spalding prescription goggles. They were like $30. I obught them in Japan at a sunglasses shop, but am sure you can find them where you're at. They checked my prescription on my glasses and gave me the lenses to snap in. For the bike and run I use Skid brand sunglasses, that are prescription. Good luck
2005-04-29 8:47 AM

stormpetrel - 2005-04-29 7:18 AM

I started training for my first Sprint Triathlon two weeks ago. (Tri in in July). I have been running 3 miles/2xs per week, swimming 30 minutes/2xs per week and riding 15+ miles at least once/week. I was in relatively good shape to begin with (I'm a soccer player)...but every day when I finish my workout I'm exhausted. I sleep at least 7 hours a night and eat pretty well...any advice on keeping energy up following a workout.

Also...any advice for contact wearers...I was going to try to swim with contacts in, but my goggles always end up leaking!!! Does anyone put contacts in during T1?

That's a great workout! So, if my addition skills are right...you're taking off 2 days per week, as recovery days, right?

You might want to try to get a wee bit more than 7 hours of sleep--I need about 8, to really feel my personal best. Everyone's different, but you're working hard, and I think 7 is on the lighter side. Just food 4 thought.
2005-04-29 9:31 AM

Veteran
Swindon

Not being (particularly) sarcastic, but aren't you supposed to be exhausted at the end of a workout??

I couldn't say from the detail you give if 7 hours a night is enough, some people just don't need to sleep much and some people do.  I'm happy on 5 1/2 to 6.  I wake up naturally, so I use that as a marker, if my alarm clock starts waking me up as opposed to annoying me to get out of bed then I know I need some more sleep.

On the nutrition side (I'm guessing that as you're active already you know decent nutrition) make sure you eat straight after your workout, that's when your body most needs it.  It takes me 15mins to get home from the gym and I feel dreadfull for this time, but then I get in, rehydrate properly and grab some food (couple rounds of toast or a bagel) and feel much more awake for the rest of the evening/.

2005-04-29 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
You are in a good shape for soccer. Triathlons are a whole different ball game. Are you following a plan? look for one of the training plans on this website. My plan increases 10% every week for 3 weeks in a row, then week 4 decreases 40% and give my body time to rest.
You'll be fine, you just have to adapt your body to a different sport.
3 months ago I never thought I could swim for 64 minutes (non-stop) then run 4.4 miles the same day.... I did it yesterday!...
You'll get there!
2005-04-29 2:41 PM

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
stormpetrel - 2005-04-29 7:18 AM

I had this problem with the first TWO pair of goggles I tried (speedo), but the third pair (Tyr) work just fine, no leaks. I wore them during my tri last year for open water and I swim in my contacts thee times a week. Goggles are pretty cheap, and there are a lot of brands and styles that really are very different from each other. I'd just try another type until you find the perfect fit for you.

2005-04-29 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port

I was in the same boat about 2 weeks ago.  I eat right and sleep about 7-8 hrs per night. Anyway, enough of the boring stuff. I started taking a multi-B viatmin and L-Carnitine and it has helped immensley at gettting rid of my fatigue.

Bmac

2005-04-30 9:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La

7 hours of sleep on a training day might not be enough.  If you have the luxury of bumping it up to 8 hours consistently, try to do so.

Also, did you increase your caloric intake?  I have found that taking in the proper carb's prior to, during, and after training makes a huge difference in my energy level.  We use e-caps / hammer gel products and they have worked well for us.

Regarding your contacts and goggles, sounds like you need a new pair of goggles.  I have to wear contacts otherwise I'm blind as a bat - so leak-free goggles are a must.   I've read that when you are shopping for a new pair you should press them on to your face without having the strap behind  your head.   If the goggles stick to your face for a second before falling off, they are a good pair for you.  If they fall right off, they are not a good fit.  HTH.

2005-04-30 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
I prefer presription goggles...and, prescription sun glasses... waaay more comfortable and waaay less problematic. Lot of things can go wrong with contacts while open water swimming... specially during IM (long) swims.

FWIW Joe Moya
2005-04-30 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
You should not feel tired with that kind of a schedule......in fact, I'd say you should be bursting with energy.....it's either sleep, calories or other nutritional imbalance......Also, how's your weight? Carrying a lot of extra pounds will sap your energy obviously.

I have found that supplements really affect recovery and energy levels in general. Some are quite expensive but very good. I took www.bradventures.com athlete stress formula for a month, then went off, really noticed my energy levels sag so I am planning on going back on....I did it on purpose to see if I could register the difference....My schedule is comparable to yours: 3X 5 mi run, 3X 1,250 yd swim, and 2x ride 15-20 mi
2005-04-30 5:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Gif-sur-Yvette
Can you be pushing harder than necessary each workout? What kind of HR zone are you working in?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm tired!! Rss Feed